1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Whuuuu Ohhh !

Clapton fan thats a closet Goldwing lover ! Come on over to my Guitar Gods thread. Just be aware, theres a few blokes there with REAL music blinders on !

https://advrider.com/f/threads/superhuman-electric-guitar-gods.1085443/
  2. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

My buddy went to Toronto to buy his '85. Same with the RZ 500 V4 yamaha's. Quite a few americans crossed the border to buy these Canada market bikes.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  3. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 606 pair and had to ditch the front nearly immediately.
    The rear works well with the rally.

And KLX.. thats a four letter word as far as i'm concerned.
    I gave up riding dirt for over 10 years after a big scare when i was trying to keep with a mate on one.
    I tried to save my bike sliding off the side of a mountain after what i thought was going to be a easy lowside turned into a highside. I ended up off the mountain. Not fun.
    When i got back into adv riding, i just accepted the hole bike is a consumable.
    Just let it go.
  4. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    Quiet you. :lol3
  5. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    Hmm..
    There goes a large chunk of my time over the next few days.. :thumb
    I'm guessing there's no amazing drummers in that thread though..
    Ever Onward likes this.
  6. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

I dont see it that way. I see a distinct line between people who like old things because its hip and trendy, verses people that truely appreciate old things for what they were in a bygone era ( real enthusiests )

I am the latter. I dont know if you were familiar with morrie gauger out by richmond illinios on route 173 ? He had a farm with a shop called morrie's place. He serviced Harley and BMW and brit bikes. Had a collection of aircooled VWs...... mostly dead ones along the fence row, and 2 barns worth of as is old bikes in mothballs.

He was a regular visit for me. I would show him my "Modern" bikes and explain the tech to him ( he was around 80 back then ). He would tell me about 50's and 60's bikes and I would sit for hours and chat with him as he wrenched on the oldies.

If he liked you, you were allowed to tour the barn loft where the best bikes were stashed. Thats where I saw my first Ducati desmo single !

I grew my love for old bikes by hangin out with morrie alot. Then when I met Frank the former Norton mechanic at the isle of man, that took it to the next level . Important motorbike history. My lust to understand the past has allways been there.

I still think Im gonna own and drive a model T someday. Rational thinking however says its gonna likely be a model A.

Its just a desire for old mechanical stuff from a quickly fadeing past.
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Feel free to join in. Many little known axemen in there. I posted a big variety of music styles to keep the scope wide.

Sorry, no mention of Mitch Mitchel in there though . :lol3
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  8. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    Will have a look tomorrow when my sister takes mum out.
    I can turn the stereo up then.
    Mine and mums common ground is motown at conversation level.

Mitch is ok.
    But for me its Joe Morello then everyone else is a long, long...... loooong way behind.
    Youtube his solos. OMFG..!! He actually is one.
    NC Rick and Ever Onward like this.
  9. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get short/quick turn throttle while you are at it,easier on the wrist.It's all about throttle control specially on the slow technical stuff.Get the suspension worked out and it's a totally different handling bike.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  10. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wellll, crap. First, if you all remember, my old DR wouldn't run much at all above about 1/4 throttle or under any kind of load. I took the carb off and first thing I saw was the needle jet was not flush with the bottom of the bore. Hmm, I thought, I'll bet the main jet is loose. As it turns out, it was sitting in the bottom of the carb bowl. Put it back together and it runs like it should.

Buut, got back from the ride and I have a really bad oil leak. I'm kinda afraid that it's coming from the cylinder base gasket. I put the cylinder back together using the diagram in the manual and then learn on this forum that that's wrong. I don't think it's the countershaft sprocket, since the sprocket and chain are not oily and a lot of oil above it. Don't think it's the cam chain tensioner since that is also clean and dry. Oil seems to run out from under the starter. Is it possible it's leaking from the starter? Guess I'll just have to check. Since I put this thing back together the only one to blame is me, of course. Drat. Joys of owning a 21 year old motorcycle with 84,000 miles - which I maintain!
    yehaaa6 and JagLite like this.
  11. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a o ring #6 to keep it from leaking.
    [​IMG]
    Fishnbiker and TreasureState like this.
  12. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, take care with that. DAMHIK
    JagLite likes this.
  13. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Where are quick-turn throttles available from? I have an aluminum throttle tube.
  14. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I was thinking was there were some people who I respect who think something is really cool. I had NO IDEA what they were talking about, or WHY they thought it was cool. Now I have a glimmer of an idea, and I appreciate it.

Context. Context is what makes the world fascinating.

I used to teach Information Technology. Information is data with context. Data is worthless, and free. Information is where the value is, and a good professional (of most ilks) provides Context and therebye creates information.
    JagLite, yehaaa6, SloSolo2 and 2 others like this.
  15. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the moment I'm dating 2 redheads and they get along really well.

Grins!
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  16. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    so..
    you like Ginger over Marianne then..?? :rofl
  17. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. To be fair, I'd start with Marianne. Intelligence is a requirement for me and Ginger was an airhead.
    JagLite, Nogoodnamesleft and NC Rick like this.
  18. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! I like that explanation as one I will remember.

I have always been fascinated by factory race specials because something like a frame which was robot welded of mild steel was commonly hand welded of special alloy steel with thinner walls and higher quality welds. For a long time I tried to buy a race frame for my Ducati 996 as they were without numbers and 20 lbs lighter than oem stock. Things like that become special for the reason of being more exclusive and crafted with a level of care and intent I admire. That is what I like to do with our shocks.

I would like a hand built DR 650 frame made of 4130 and normalized so that it was both stronger and lighter. That would be an expensive undertaking!
    JagLite, drmiller100, yehaaa6 and 2 others like this.
  19. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally out in left field - a couple of years ago we encountered a pair of model T's piloted by people in period appropriate garb high up on Engineer Pass - like about 11 or 12K feet. They were just chugging along with those big wooden wheels stepping over the rubble. I thought that was was over top (literally) cool.
    JagLite, Ever Onward, FR700 and 5 others like this.
  20. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I either have a R1 or a R6 throttle tube.One is 1/5 and the other is a 1/4 I believe.Do a search here or at drriders. Procyle has something also.The R tubes I bought where close to 20$ for tube and grips,but that was a while a go.Pro Motion has something also_One of the R tubes will run over the close stop If you are not careful or dump it.Don't remember which one (R1 or R6). There is a good write up some where.Google it?
    https://drriders.com/throttle-tube-upgrade-t119.html
    https://drriders.com/r6-throttle-tube-t5968.html
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFZ-R6-2003-2005-Throttle-Sleeve-Tube-Motion-Pro/142414149871?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54464&meid=51d378660c0240ceb60ce5bf11ffb9f4&pid=101006&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=142414149871&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226
    JagLite likes this.