the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wellll, crap. First, if you all remember, my old DR wouldn't run much at all above about 1/4 throttle or under any kind of load. I took the carb off and first thing I saw was the needle jet was not flush with the bottom of the bore. Hmm, I thought, I'll bet the main jet is loose. As it turns out, it was sitting in the bottom of the carb bowl. Put it back together and it runs like it should.

Buut, got back from the ride and I have a really bad oil leak. I'm kinda afraid that it's coming from the cylinder base gasket. I put the cylinder back together using the diagram in the manual and then learn on this forum that that's wrong. I don't think it's the countershaft sprocket, since the sprocket and chain are not oily and a lot of oil above it. Don't think it's the cam chain tensioner since that is also clean and dry. Oil seems to run out from under the starter. Is it possible it's leaking from the starter? Guess I'll just have to check. Since I put this thing back together the only one to blame is me, of course. Drat. Joys of owning a 21 year old motorcycle with 84,000 miles - which I maintain!
    yehaaa6 and JagLite like this.
  2. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a o ring #6 to keep it from leaking.
    [​IMG]
    Fishnbiker and TreasureState like this.
  3. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, take care with that. DAMHIK
    JagLite likes this.
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Where are quick-turn throttles available from? I have an aluminum throttle tube.
  5. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I was thinking was there were some people who I respect who think something is really cool. I had NO IDEA what they were talking about, or WHY they thought it was cool. Now I have a glimmer of an idea, and I appreciate it.

Context. Context is what makes the world fascinating.

I used to teach Information Technology. Information is data with context. Data is worthless, and free. Information is where the value is, and a good professional (of most ilks) provides Context and therebye creates information.
    JagLite, yehaaa6, SloSolo2 and 2 others like this.
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the moment I'm dating 2 redheads and they get along really well.

Grins!
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  7. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    so..
    you like Ginger over Marianne then..?? :rofl
  8. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. To be fair, I'd start with Marianne. Intelligence is a requirement for me and Ginger was an airhead.
    JagLite, Nogoodnamesleft and NC Rick like this.
  9. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! I like that explanation as one I will remember.

I have always been fascinated by factory race specials because something like a frame which was robot welded of mild steel was commonly hand welded of special alloy steel with thinner walls and higher quality welds. For a long time I tried to buy a race frame for my Ducati 996 as they were without numbers and 20 lbs lighter than oem stock. Things like that become special for the reason of being more exclusive and crafted with a level of care and intent I admire. That is what I like to do with our shocks.

I would like a hand built DR 650 frame made of 4130 and normalized so that it was both stronger and lighter. That would be an expensive undertaking!
    JagLite, drmiller100, yehaaa6 and 2 others like this.
  10. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally out in left field - a couple of years ago we encountered a pair of model T's piloted by people in period appropriate garb high up on Engineer Pass - like about 11 or 12K feet. They were just chugging along with those big wooden wheels stepping over the rubble. I thought that was was over top (literally) cool.
    JagLite, Ever Onward, FR700 and 5 others like this.
  11. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I either have a R1 or a R6 throttle tube.One is 1/5 and the other is a 1/4 I believe.Do a search here or at drriders. Procyle has something also.The R tubes I bought where close to 20$ for tube and grips,but that was a while a go.Pro Motion has something also_One of the R tubes will run over the close stop If you are not careful or dump it.Don't remember which one (R1 or R6). There is a good write up some where.Google it?
    https://drriders.com/throttle-tube-upgrade-t119.html
    https://drriders.com/r6-throttle-tube-t5968.html
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFZ-R6-2003-2005-Throttle-Sleeve-Tube-Motion-Pro/142414149871?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54464&meid=51d378660c0240ceb60ce5bf11ffb9f4&pid=101006&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=142414149871&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226
    JagLite likes this.
  12. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I’m a little surprised I don’t know of that shop. The funky places I remember were a little place near there which brought in the Munch Mammoth motorcycle but I was only there once or twice. Martin Horn had a farm/bike shop in the 70s which sold Husky, Bultaco, Maico and other euro bikes. He was a character who said what he wanted. Aero PA was the name of his dealership which moved later on from what little I know. He was around for a long time.

I think it was Libertyville where I saw the 125 MX and tz250 with drum brakes when they were new in the early 70s. I’m not sure but it was a different dealer than from where I purchased my 1971 Yamaha 125 brand new. That’s starting to go back through some real time.
    Ever Onward and yehaaa6 like this.
  13. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure would be nice if it were that rather than the cylinder base gasket.
    yehaaa6 likes this.
  14. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Lil' Steve and yehaaa6 like this.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I was reading somewhere about 'nostalgia' and the claim that some things are 'imprinted' within us when we experience them for the first few times. It could have been a warm sunny April day when I first went in the pits at Oulton Park and saw Mike Hailwood standing around some Honda's and Manx Nortons....it could also have been pissing down. They say smells, sights, sounds, touch all play a part. My um played piano in a local pub some nights and cleaned the same pub in the morning. She often took me when I was a toddler. To this day stale beer smells good to me......Castrol R too......I discovered that at Oulton Park. It's maybe not a persons age thing....but that will play a part in the things you get nostalgic about. Big Thumpers: We love our DR650's...so most likely will admire many singles. For me the best is a 500 Manx Norton, next best a 500 BSA Gold Star......but these are not practical....so I get a DR.
    I don't know much about the youngster coming up. I see handlebar mustaches and bow ties. One of my sons has no idea what engine is in his car...but he knows it has Bluetooth, cup holders and USB ports. Another son has hair down to his shoulders..yet loves original Punk Rock. One of our daughters buys a new car every year...she drives REALLY well and safe and fast. This last go around she sold her Mini Cooper and got some type of Citroen (she lives in the UK).
    I have a quote (in NOTES on my iPhone 7+ of all places)...it says "Set apart from the vulgar masses".......I like things that are old or different...I like people that are funny and weird....I appreciate what some of the young uns are doing......the son that drives a KIA with USB's also whacks his weeds with a hand sythe and raises goats and grows Loofa's........go figure.
    Our USA daughter has this truck as her landmark to find her house. That’s her mother’s DR650 3A5A421F-00AA-42DF-8B2A-D3B618A384D7.jpeg
    wee-twin, Ride Now, JagLite and 11 others like this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    E46D24CE-C505-49A7-AF8C-B4404BA3C65D.jpeg This is our every day kitchen: Dare to be different
    Ride Now, JagLite, joenuclear and 7 others like this.
  17. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lucked out. We had a bunch of "Cow Trail" riders near the Chain O lakes. I got my first real motorcycle a Kawi G 3 enduro after cutting a seasons worth of grass at 15. I was exposed to MANY dirt bikes shortly after.

Once I hit 17, the job at the Suzuki / Laverda dealer really exposed me to all kinds on motorbikes. Against their advice, I had a Kawi H2 750 triple at 18. I used to ride it to highschool.......left the 750 badges off it so that I didnt look to illegal for a high school kid.

[​IMG]

I had a H1 500 cc, crappy frame, suspension and brakes, but what an engine, take off in 1st hit 5000 rpm and it would go to red line so fast all you could do is keep shifting, I would pull up next to HD's and just laugh, I would be in another county before they shifted out of 1st, loved the bike but I was sure it would kill me so I sold it
  18. Nobade

Nobade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the newest you can afford. Brand doesn't matter much, they all work but I'd avoid older gas gas bikes and pretty much everything made before 2000 due to difficulty getting parts. And Sherco 4 stroke bikes. You don't want those. Your size is no problem, they will work fine.
  19. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken, Montessa is owned by Honda. We have had a couple Betas in here (300cc and 125cc). They are nice. I’d be pretty pleased with either. The 125 was really cool. They are quite responsive and I would learn some throttle control from one.

We built a custom shock for the 300.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    I want an XTrainer in a bad way.
    JagLite, Ever Onward and Nobade like this.