the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
  2. ranchero

ranchero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dsc_0012.jpg [​IMG]My first car.Pop gave it to me with a blown engine when I was 14. Sold a few years ago at 43 ish during the middle of a restoration. 1967 Ranchero. 351w roller cam, aluminum heads, T5.
  3. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    cheers for that.

i got a pretty good local, so will have a look.
    this is a small selection.

10 x 8  1 (34).jpg

we generally get more european and asian beers than american,
    but i'm always looking for an excuse to try something new.

i'll have a look next time.
  4. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    hmmm..
    what about correct punctuation and capitals.
    i'm not big on those.
    2 keys, one of them being shift is a pain when you type in a recliner.. :jkam
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Bummer. Letting that go had to hurt.
    NC Rick likes this.
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Not I.

I got mine back in 2010. I had ridden DR650SEs a bit back around +/-2000 when the company I did part time rider training for acquired a fleet of DR650s and 350s for outback tours.. We used them for some training stuff on the track along with desert and cape tours. I didn't do any big tours, just come local, off season shorter stuff. I wasn't a fan, crap suspension, no brakes, flat engine response, didn't turn and heavy. I was using them in a trail/enduro environment coming off my FE501.

I retired back in 2009 and decided to get into ADV riding. To that point it'd been trail, enduro and MX off road, and road and track on road bikes. I was a late comer to dirt bikes too. I'd ridden a few over the years, but it was never my focus until we finished building our house out here in the bush and I had some time to go exploring. There's 100s of kms of technical trails just outside my gate, not to mention my own special tests inside my gate. I entered my first MX race at 44 yo, followed by some enduro, both local and State events.

So I got a DR650 back in 2010 because it was a cheap adv bike and I'd get my $s back after a year or so when I upgraded. I've enjoyed playing with it, and the places its taken me, and way its taken me there. Its now about my all time favourite bike, but as we know, its not stock anymore; https://advrider.com/f/threads/bergdonks-dr650s.646076/

Been having some time in the shed the last days, playing with my mate's DR2, the one I/we built for him a few years ago. Its largely been in hibernation since his big off a few years ago, but I think he's got his head in the right place now and he'll be back on it.

And in the meantime I visited my suspension guru mate Frank Pons and we built up a couple of sets of WP CC forks. Rehashed those on my DR and a set for my 450SXF. My suspension is now even better than it was, and as close to perfection as I think it can be, but......

My DR is something of a grandfather's axe in some ways. The engine in it now is its 4th, but back to its original cases. The frame has broken a few times, spotted in my shed, or not too far from home fortunately. So my frame is now trussed and trellised, my forks are WP CC USD, my shock is a special Ohlins, the engine is a PC 790 with home ported head utilising PC big valves, 41 mm FCR carb, Staintune exhaust, high output stator and the 'piece de resistance', currently the world's only full Nova wide ratio gearbox.

My DR650 has given me great pleasure over the <> 9 years and 140,xxxx kms I've had it, so much in fact, that I built a semi replica for the boss.

HE650RS and HI790S.

[​IMG]
    OzCRU, wee-twin, stoney4vida and 14 others like this.
  7. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. The morning he left our house after 4-5 days of sorting, receiving parts prior to Mexico, etc. Very easy guy to have around and he's lived the RTW life. Adam was the first rider we hosted and many more - mostly DR folks - have followed. He's a great photog, too, if ya haven't visited his gallery on his site, worth a peek.

[​IMG]
  8. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    His build, Bergdonk's and one other were the main source of info used for building my bike.
    Hivernaut, FR700, Fishnbiker and 2 others like this.
  9. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, filmed in Broken Hill, South Australia. Too funny story that the town now takes to heart with the annual "Broken Heel" drag queen festival. It was a hard decision to wait 10 days to see it , or get over to The Flinders

[​IMG]
    Hivernaut, FR700 and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  10. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
    ER70S-2, Nogoodnamesleft and Anthiron like this.
  11. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it okay to post here or will I be banished from advrider for the rest of my life? Lol, Never rode a d r 650, but I've had plenty of Honda XR, s, but I really like the idea of on rear wheel having a cush drive, just stopped over to check out the action... 20190119_131349.jpg 20190209_120530.jpg 20181212_164217.jpg 20161129_160350.jpg
  12. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Nor car dollies with Explorer. Confirmed.
  13. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    FR700, wee-twin, ER70S-2 and 3 others like this.
  14. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Wow! WOW! And I thought everyone was just making a joke when they talk of Australia being upside down. It’s a world where Pabst cost more than Pilsner Urquell! Indeed, upside down!!! Yikes! It’s expensive tolike beer there.
  15. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Daum , a 950 Super Enduro? Those Ornj bikes cost a lot and break all the time. I have looked on the 950 SE with lust and have committed motorcycle adultery in my heart many times.
    stoney4vida and ER70S-2 like this.
  16. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    it's on special at the moment though..
    i still won't be buying it..

this is my local bottleshop - the one in the pick.
    about a mile from my house.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/beer/country-usa?size=120

it lists a heap of USA beers, but only has about 35 in stock.
    i don't know what most of these taste like..

is there any "oh you gotta try" on this selection.?
    (if it asks for location - Sunnybank 4109)

some of em are $$$ and like i said, if the link works and you explore the beer section - you'll see i live near a good bottleshop.. :thumb :drink
  17. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm partial to the Blue Moon Belgian White. But I am certainly not a beer conny sewer.:photog
    wee-twin, ER70S-2 and NC Rick like this.
  18. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I’m not totally monochromatic when it comes to beer but... if the US beers that are shown in-stock were all in the fridge and I was going to pick a sure thing (based on what I know) I would pick:

After a day at work and really want to chill:
    EE68CD60-7AC7-4514-89B0-34D6E42A83CB.jpeg
    If it was a hot day and I wanted a cheerful and refreshing beer I would grab the “Ballast Point, Sculpin”

B4B27AE8-7160-4B79-A7F1-E67000E42D77.jpeg

and for a good goto beer that is nice and easy the:

D35B1C1D-9103-4700-8628-55A860242140.jpeg

Nothing in the fridge in the way of Porters. I do see a few I would like to try but haven’t had. The above are hoppy style beers which are only one style I like. My one buddy tells me they taste like Chrysanthemums.

Ballast Point was/is a good brewery which was scooped up by Budweiser so I don’t drink it anymore, out of principle.

Edit: Founders is a good brewery from up north (Michigan). I like Weiss beer in the summer but haven’t had the Sierra Nevada so I can only guess it will be good.

Porters and Stouts are good with me if they are not made to be sweet or taste like cookies.

There are very few American Pilsners worth drinking. When someone makes a good one, it seems unpopular. I stick with Pilsner Urquell or Belgian Duval.
    BergDonk and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  19. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    It seems like we have had on or two good ones together. We need to do that again. I have only been back to Oskar Blues once since meeting you and your wife there.
  20. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:

cheers.. i get the feeling i might end up with a list.
    and i'm ok with that. :lol3
    if anyone else sees something add it in. :drink

some overseas beers get brewed local here which i'm not a fan of.
    we can get 2 versions of some stuff. you gotta check for the imported stickers on some beers, for the true article.

likewise if any one has Australian beer access just ask for opinions. :thumb
    i got no idea what bottleshops over there are like, or if australian beer even rates..

some stuff is $$$
    perspective mainstream beer- corona, becks, peroni, heineken, aussie is generally $50AU a carton. - 24 beers.
    hence my caution on trying some stuff i don't know.
    at least i have a choice, i don't mind paying twice as much if the beer is twice as good.

how much is a carton of torpedo over there.?
    $$$ - 120 AU is about 85 US at the moment..