The Ducati ST2/3/4 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chuckracer, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same as I bought in 2006. Couple quirks sorted out under warranty the first summer. Trouble free till I slammed into a guard rail at 6:30 AM on a Sunday. I still miss that bike.
  2. Dry509

Dry509 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Have Opportunity to buy an ST3S for $3900 with 26000 miles and the tach doesn’t work or a ST4s for $5900 with 6000 miles. Any thoughts on either? Thanks. Both say they have been maintained.
  3. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    What years?
  4. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a very clean 2006 ST3s abs. 28k miles. Oil and filter changed, new road 5 tires, new DID VX chain and JT sprockets, belts changed, zero gravity sport touring windscreen, stock matching panniers & and Givi top box, grip warmers, new front EBC brake pads, LED headlights bulbs-you can actually see things at night. Kaoko throttle lock, peg lowers, several other items I'm forgetting. You won't have to do anything for at least 6k miles. And it runs great. I just can't keep it. But I want a little more than $3,900. You'll be ahead in the long run!
  5. DoubleDee1

DoubleDee1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a chance to buy a 2000 ST4 for 1000 dollars. It looks good cosmetically aside from tank which is rusted through; it’s been sitting for three years. Has 100k miles. Don’t know much else. Is this a pretty good risk to take if I’m looking for a project and I like the bike? I’ll do the work myself; I think I can mechanically refurbish it for less than 1k. Will the finished bike be worth 2k and can I get another 100k miles out of it? Please let me know your thoughts - Really appreciate it
    davyjones likes this.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I really doubt that. 100k -- bottom end bearings are probably toast, so the engine will have to be split and rebuilt. Probably needs new valves, stem seals. Belts. Brakes, chain, sprockets. New tank, probably a new fuel pump. I haven't priced out parts like that in a while, but I think it will safely be >$1k pretty quickly.
    davyjones and pitbull like this.
  7. DoubleDee1

DoubleDee1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eye opening reply thank you, I thought I could do belts and valves checks maybe replace rocker arm if need be. I guess I should only buy it assuming I will need to do engine rebuild. Too costly unless bike is priced lower. He is firm on 1000. Thanks
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had bent forks and broken plastic and it was instantly totaled. Someone is probably screaming around on an ST3 naked street fighter.
    davyjones likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep, that's an absolute joke of a price. While not an ST4, I paid $600 for this non-runner with 20K miles. $200 worth of electrical work later and she was running.

Ducst1.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    I budget $1k just to fix all the small stuff whenever I buy a used Ducati... and that's for a bike the previous owner was riding on a regular basis. One that's been sitting for years will be even more of a money pit. If you aren't familiar with Ducatis a project may not be the best introduction.

PS - I'd spend $600 on an ST2 like the one pictured above in a heartbeat. And I don't even want an ST2.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I do! My garage can't swallow it though...
  12. jbh

jbh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E6D3DC25-ED82-4375-A519-870B073C4A1A.jpeg My 2004 ST4S
  13. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful machine. Not the hard-core, edgy look of a Ducati sport bike, but a very beautiful bike...like an Italian car would look.
  14. MadMatter

MadMatter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And that one has already had its engine rebuilt, too.
  15. DoubleDee1

DoubleDee1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Near disaster, catastrophe avoided, thanks for saving me from that trouble. I got in the habit of checking craiglist for mechanic special type bikes. Now I know what a real deal looks like (an ST2 for 600).
    rd400racer likes this.
  16. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked this up today.

[​IMG]

Love it. The 996 motor rips -- even by today's standards. Forgot how much soul these bikes have. My first bike was a '94 M900 -- been on KTMs ever since.

Pleasantly surprised with the ergos on this as well -- sit up and beg works for me here, I think because the bike is so narrow (relatively)

They're not easy to find but there are a few for sale and they don't command much money -- I got this thing for $4k w/24,000 miles. Lottttta bike for the money IMO.

Who else is still out there on an STx?
  17. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have an odd definition of "sit-up and beg". This is a true Sports-tourer with respect to wb, rear set pegs, and bars. From cycle-ergo.com, for a 5'11" rider with a 32" inseam, the forward lean is 27-degrees (not a super-sport @ 35-degrees, but not 11-to-15-degrees for an upright adventure bike), knee angle 73, hip angle 69, showing definite rear-set pegs. This, along with the Honda VFR-800 series, is my definition of a sport-bike (996) turned into a true Sports-tourer.
    pitbull likes this.
  18. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wouldn't refer to the Ducati ST bikes as anything close to "sit up and beg". Hell, I put handlebars and a peg lowering kit on my ST4 and it still wasn't sit up and beg. I eventually moved to a KTM 990 SMT for my touring needs and it's much more upright and actually a sit up and beg position.

For me, the ST line was comfortable, heavier sport bike.
  19. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    shrug, i'm not out here measuring my knee and hip angles -- but for me it's pleasantly upright and nothing like an ADV or sport bike

didn't realize there was a dogmatic (heh heh) definition of sit up and beg, i thought it was just a relatively subjective characterization that referred -- generally -- to a more or less upright torso with bent knees slightly forward of your hips, like a sitting dog.

but hey, what's the internet for if not to correct you? :lol3 I'll bring a protractor next time and we'll get to the bottom of this
  20. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:

psssst... hey, over here.... shhh.....

...counter with "Isn't it really more of an 851 turned sports touring than a 996?" then compare frame geometry and how 851 owners love buying these to pilfer the engines from.

You got this!