The Ducati ST2/3/4 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chuckracer, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to explain yourself, you can just stick with your description.
  2. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t ride my Ducati at all this year. Between Covid, a death in my family and a crazy work schedule it sat alone in the garage hooked to a trickle charger. 2 weeks ago I dusted it off and put it on CL. A few legit calls but mostly scammers or low ballers.

took it out tonight and ripped through my neighborhood.

8FD7CEF8-C123-4EF0-A297-5A7A9A23C65E.jpeg

It’s not on CL anymore.......what was I thinking? What a crazy year.
    socalnative, 996DL, chazbird and 7 others like this.
  3. apexlocator

apexlocator n00b

Oddometer:
    Been there and done that many times with a Triumph Daytona. Finally sold it though, but only because I have three other fine bikes...lol. My '98 ST2 is a real keeper....power is spot on in each gear and does not end me in jail. The 40-80 mph acceleration in third gear from 4K to 8K is enough fun for the whole day on a nice sweeping back road, and again.....not exceeding triple digits as you would on a super bike.
    dasgaswolf likes this.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Ducati was the one bike I vowed to never sell. Then it became the one bike I totaled.
  5. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    I just found a 2002 ST2 with some nice bits on it, I can probably get it for less than $2k.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you had such a rough year. 2020 has sucked for most people I know. Glad you came to your senses though :lol3
  7. apexlocator

apexlocator n00b

Oddometer:
  8. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe they did, at least I've never seen one and never heard of one with a white frame. I'm guessing it's a custom paint job.

It does look really nice.
  9. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Any st3 gurus here?

I get a weird coughing at steady throttle, gets worse at low speeds, almost imperceptible at decent speed, but around town is annoying.

Start and idles well.

It would be nice to tap on the collective wisdom before I embark on chasing every possibility down.

Plugs new, wires new.
  10. apexlocator

apexlocator n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and find out how and why it was converted to this (improved) look over stock.....either someone had a lot of cash to throw at it or it was damaged and repaired. Probably the latter. If I wanted to buy this bike I would need a Ducati dealer to inspect it thoroughly for me first.
  11. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think it's at least worth finding out.

It's got a lot of nice aftermarket bits, looks clean and has reasonable mileage for the age. If there's a decently good reason for the conversion, I would offer $3,500 and see what happens.
  12. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad/old news.
    The one problem ST3's seem to have is lean fueling at low speeds. A remapping of the FI usually fixes these issues. I added a FatDuc and made very small adjustments to fix this exact issue. Also the Ducati performance tune seems to be the cure. I've remapped my 2006 ST3S with it and it has no more issues. The FatDuc also fixed it. I left the FatDuc on as a way to make quick adjustments.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2005 St3 had an open loop. You could just dial it in. The 2006 had a closed loop and you needed to remap or get a magic box.
    socalnative likes this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is probably NOT your issue, but I had a very similar issue with an ST2 that I eventually tracked down to one of throttle bodies missing the plug/screw that closes the port you use to hook up a manometer...so, maybe you already did, but if not, I'd check to make sure you don't have a leak in the air system.
    AZbiker and socalnative like this.
  15. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Well ... I got the tuneecu to work and it reads a crank sensor position fault.

We will see. Used to be so smooth.
    socalnative likes this.
  16. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    As an ST3 owner I'm quite pleased to have stumbled onto this thread. My entry into the Ducati world began with what a previous poster to the thread warned of; DO NOT BUY A DUCATI PROJECT BIKE AS YOUR FIRST DUC. Well, that's what I did in late '04. After having the president of the local BMW riders clud in Birmingham, AL, personally check it out I followed through with the purchase of a 1992 Ducati 907IE with 6k miles. The bike wasn't anything like I was expecting except that it was in near perfect cosmetic condition. I put 3k miles on it and when I totaled the receipts for repairs and parts the 907 ended up costing me $1 per mile to ride. Still, I was smitten with the bike and the brand and never lost my lust for Ducati's and would check 'em out on CL or Cycletrader from time to time. I came close to buying on several occasions then would back off at the last minute.

Here's the 907 that I later sold to a collector who put it on static display in the lobby of his veterinary practice:
    [​IMG]

In 2015 I finally followed through with my intent to obtain an ST when I located one at a used bike dealer in Ft. Worth. I arranged for a friend to visit and inspect it and the dealer offered to let him ride it. He sent me cell pics then followed up with a call about his impressions. I closed the deal that day and a week later this '05 ST3 with 7700 miles arrived:
    [​IMG]
    The bike arrived with little in the way of service records so I arranged to have it gone through by an independent Ducati shop in Boulder, CO. As many have said here the bike is a dream, handles quite well and has lots of power. Mine arrived with Cyclecat bar risers, a Staintune exhaust system, and aftermarket windscreen. It had the wrong saddle so I sourced one from the interwebs and all was well. I'm 6-1 with a 32" inseam and felt I needed more leg room so I added a peg lowering kit. I've since taken it on several long distance trips and found it be extraordinarily competent mile water that can transition to the curves to satisfy those needs. :lol2 About a year after its arrival I found a set or Marchessini wheels for the ST model with the front wheel having nearly new rotors attached at a price too good to pass up.
    In Wyoming on the way to a rally in South Dakota.
    [​IMG]

In southeastern Utah.
    [​IMG]
  17. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Picking up my new to me 05 st3 Thursday
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    That should be a crime. At least ride it to get ice cream on Sundays.
    spanky likes this.
  19. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    sodapop likes this.