The Ducati ST2/3/4 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chuckracer, Aug 29, 2017.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I can fully relate to what you're saying. While not my first Ducati, I picked this one up from this forum a couple of years ago for $600. Had an electrical gremlin, sounded easy enough to me. After a year of screwing around with it, including taking it to a shop, I gave up. On the plus side, I got $1300 for it, which meant I just broke even. Bottom line, if I can't hear it run I'm walking.

Ducst1.jpg
    tanukkki likes this.
  2. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but since the general topic is buying a sports touring bike used, there is some relevancy regarding what I'm about to post. As previously mentioned the 907 was in almost perfect cosmetic condition however, it had been stored outside albeit in a covered garage and not ridden for over three years. The twit I asked to inspect the bike failed to look inside the fuel tank. He failed to notice the rusted chain and the outdated tires, things the seller neglected to convey despite the numerous questions I asked. Here's a pic of the tank's internals:
    [​IMG]

I sent the tank to CT to have it cleaned and coated, a process that two just over two months. I then started going through the bike replacing rubber bits, hoses, brake lines, tires & chain, battery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I later had to install the clutch slave unit and fork seals. Here she is at the summit of Monarch Pass while on a ride with a former neighbor.
    [​IMG]

To the OP, please don't let this prevent you from searching out of state. I've done several bike inspection & rides for out of state forum friends and all went well with the lone exception of a tired R1100RT. I've had two great experiences where the bikes showed up in better condition than advertised and one that I got through an eBay auction that I drove out to and trailered back. All were great deals, too!
  3. glepore

glepore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have a new to me 06 st3s abs on the way. Bargain, $2900 with new chain and sprockets, fresh belts and valve adjust, new tires, givi case mount and some other goodies. 25k mi.
    So, its equipred with dual 12v outlets and heated grips. Is the last st's alternator sufficient to run both grips and a vest? Whaddya think?
    davyjones and AZbiker like this.
  4. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't look up alternator output, but Ducatis of that vintage (and a bit older) did have some electrical issues. Mostly with the connectors.
    Pull the plastics off and clean the connectors into and out of the voltage regulator. When they go back together put some di-electric grease on the connectors to help keep them clean.
    This helps because one of the issues they had was those connections would corrode, their resistance would increase and then overheat and melt.

Keep up on that and I think you would be OK running grips and a vest.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    While you're in there, remove, clean and generally make sure your grounds (starter and frame) are good. I would also keep it on a tender if it's going to sit for more than a couple days. Ducati's have amazing parasitic draw.
  6. MadMatter

MadMatter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never noticed an abnormally high draw on my ST2, but it was from long before they all started having those silly immobilizers.
  7. Corse1

Corse1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Had my ST4s for over 14 years now. Been very reliable. Just fixed a leak from the left side engine cover and that’s probably the worst although the remote reservoir for the rear shock came loose and that was a pain in the ass to remove for service. I have plenty of bikes come and go alongside it but it’s such a great bike it isn’t leaving the shed any time soon.

Attached Files:

8. Fred Oliff

Fred Oliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3019860 I am late to this thread. I bought a 2000 ST4 last July in Los Angeles. I rode it home to Hamilton, Ontario a month ago.