The Electrical System on the 1290 SA

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by RobZorba, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    I will try that, sounds like it should be fine as the LEDs probably draw very little power - thanks Rob! appreciated!
  2. GAKTMerForLife

GAKTMerForLife n00b

Oddometer:
  3. GAKTMerForLife

GAKTMerForLife n00b

Oddometer:
    This would be great. And sorry to be so slow to respond but I just acquired a new, 2014 1190 Adventure in February and your back ground seems ideally suited to possibly help with my problem. I left the key in the ignition for about three hours and the battery went dead. I used a friends older Optimate to charge it while I waited for the Optimate 3 I ordered to arrive. It took about 20 hours to charge to the point that it would turn the engine over and start the bike.

The bike ran, and runs, fine except the ECU, or one of them, is rather thoroughly screwed up. The tach and lights are working, but that's about it. No MPH. It's locked in Street mode, but without ABS or Traction control. I can't turn either on, or adjust the suspension, or change modes.

I charged the battery by removing only the positive connector and let it sit in the bike with the negative attached the entire time. At the suggestion of a forum member I attempted to reboot the system from scratch in two ways. First, I disconnected both leads to the battery, then reconnected, basically trying to reboot the system. No luck.

In the meantime I purchased an aftermarket headlight set from Cyclops. Inserted into the instruction sheet was a sheet that reads:
    "During our shop testing of the 1190/1290 LED headlight replacement kit we have on occasion received 'Lamp Failure' warning messages from the motorcycle computer. The following are methods we have used to clear the computer of this message.

Remove your positive and negative leads from the battery for at least 20 minutes.

We have also recycled the motorcycle through 3 to 4 start and stop cycles with successful results."
    I followed this advice and removed both lead for at least 30 minutes, then reconnected. No change. (I haven't installed the lights yet, pending solving the ECU problem.)

It should be covered under warranty - I've only had it for 3 1/2 months - unless allowing the battery to go dead voids the warranty on the ECUs, but that hardly seems likely because I'm hardly the only person to allow the battery to go dead on an 1190 Adventure.

I'd have it to the dealer - this happened over a month ago, but they are about a 110 miles away - an all day round trip - and I just haven't had time.
    Oh, this may or may not be relevant. The morning of the day I was to pick the bike up, the dealer contacted me and said, "Don't come, don't come." When they were setting it up for delivery apparently there was a significant ECU problem that required a replacement.

Two days later, I was picking it up, had been briefed on operation, and right before pulling out I asked about the horn. The salesman push it and the computer screen flashed "System Failure, System Failure." Apparently nothing worked.

Three hours later, well after they closed, apparently the last guy working, and not the mechanic who "fixed it," wheeled it out and said, "here ya go." I asked what the problem was. He said they didn't know, but they had swapped out the ECU from the owner's 2013. I pointed out that the 2014 was the first year of the, "ABS-in-Turns," system and the 2013 ECU would be unlikely to have the ability to provide the electronic component of that feature. He said that they would fix it properly when I came in for the first service. I exchanged e-mails with higher authorities the next week and was told they had replaced the faulty ECU with a 2015 ECU, and that the unit had nothing to do with brakes, anyway.

I'm a bit skeptical, especially when I'm now having an essentially complete ECU failure. At least I'm frozen in a 150 HP mode, but I would really, really like ABS. The brakes were a major contributor in my decision to buy the bike.
  4. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @GAKTMerForLife@ I'm really sorry to confirm your worst fears, but it seems like instrumentation controller failure to me. It is the controller that sits beneath the rider's seat on top of the rear cylinder. It is prone to unreliability caused by meltdown from rear cylinder engine heat on the 1190. Failure symptoms are never the same from one 'bike to the next. This is not the same controller as the ECU (Engine Control Unit) that controls the engine. I'd question if the dealer actually replaced the instrumentation controller. Unfortunately you can not do the swap over yourself because various things have to be tested and configured using the KTM diagnostic computer, and only the dealers have those.
  5. GAKTMerForLife

GAKTMerForLife n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll try and make an appointment for next week and then take that all-day trip to the dealer.
  6. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    Rob, I have just thought of another way that could work that would still leave one strip of the LEDs ON when DRL=ON during the day and both ON when DRL=OFF.....
    Does this make sense?
    Find out which of pin 1 or 2 switches OFF when DRL=OFF and disconnect and jump that pin from green wire of dipped beam
  7. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Bundu, that's a great idea and should work without requiring a relay. This is a great benefit of sharing info like this on the forum ... together we generate better ideas than individually!
  8. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Some more info on ACC1 and ACC2 accessory power connectors

There is some incorrect information floating around on the forum that ACC2 wiring is only capable for 1A. This is incorrect. Both ACC1 and ACC2 share the same 10A fuse, so the combined total is up to 10A. ACC2 is switched via the K31/ K11 supplementary relay contact shown on page 7/13 of the wiring diagrams. As evidence that ACC2 is capable of up to 10A (shared with ACC1), the routing of the ACC2 circuit is as follows:
    • Sheet 1/13 ... 10 A fuse F2, pin 2, yellow/ red wire .... this is ACC1 permanent on +12v .... also goes "off sheet" labelled "+1" for ACC1 +ve
    • Sheet 7/13 ... yellow/ red "ACC1" +ve wire from sheet 1 labelled "+1" goes to "hot side" of relay contact K31/ K11, pin 3.
    • The supplementary relay K31/ K11 coil is turned on when the keyswitch is "on" and the green/ red wire from instrumentation controller A10 pin 4 is grounded
    • The black/ red wire from relay K31/ K11 contact, pin 4 is then ACC2 switched +12 v, it is labelled "+2" for ACC2 +ve on the wiring diagrams.
    I posted sheet 1/13 earlier, sheet 7/13 showing the K31 relay is here:

KTM1290SA - Wiring page 7.jpg
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  9. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    Rob are you 100% sure about the ACC2 max of 10A (if ACC1 is not used)? Have you tested this?
    A friend of mine on a 1190 wired spots (10+10W) to ACC2 and the spots briefly came on and died again every time he started the bike....
  10. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    I am 100% sure that on the 1290 SA there is a single 10A fuse on the combined circuits of ACC1 + Cigarette socket + ACC2, and that a total of 120 Watts may be drawn. On the 1290 a supplementary relay is used so that ACC2 can draw up to 10A.

On the 1190 the wiring is different, and ACC2 is powered by an output from pin 8 of the 1190's instrument controller, and a supplementary relay was not used. I am sure that on the 1190 you could not draw more than 1A from ACC2 without overloading the instrument controller. KTM fixed this limitation by using the supplementary relay on the 1290 SA.
  11. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    brilliant, thanks Rob!

oh well, so I fitted an unnecessary relay for my spots on the 1290 :-(
    Pity KTM didn't bother to fix the 1A sticker on ACC2
  12. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    ... but ... there's a cost involved in reprinting stickers :-)
    charliektm400exc likes this.
  13. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:

hahaha, they should have just used a marker and added a zero after the 1 ;-)
    charliektm400exc likes this.
  14. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    Well here's one for the books. I hadn't been able to ride my 1290 SA for 10 days, so left her being "trickle / maintenance charged" on the KTM battery charger. Went to go for a ride today - disconnected the charger, ignition on, instrument checks completed fine. But the engine fault lamp (the engine symbol on the dash) was flashing and the 'bike wouldn't start. There were no other messages or fault codes displayed. Suppressing an initial urge to curse and swear, I decided to 'ave a cuppa and think about what could have caused the problem ...

• ... the bike ran perfectly before I put the battery on maintenance charge
    • ... during the last 10 days there had been a power cut
    • ... when the power came back on, maybe an overvoltage "glitch" caused a problem?
    • ... maybe one or more of the microprocessor controllers on the 'bike halted operation?

So I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, and reconnected it again. This caused all the controllers to "reboot".
    The 'bike runs just fine now, no engine fault lamp flashing!
  15. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work in IT and spend a good bit if my time asking people if they had rebooted the machine before calling? Usually they say something like you guys always say that closely followed by oh, that seems to have fixed it.
  16. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    strange, must have been a surge after power was restored, but I would have expected the charger to filter that out - at least all was OK after battery disconnection :)
  17. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher Carpe Diem

Oddometer:
    Hi RobZorba,

on my 1290 SA I have installed electronically driven chain oiler which requires information of the speed of the motorcycle. I tried to get this signal from the rear wheel through wire leading signal to the ABS modulator. Unfortunately, this inductive signal is not suitable for the chain oiler electronic system. It needs the HAL signal that (supposedly) delivers VS (vehicle speed) sensor. As an example is the Honda NC750X model 2016.
    I wonder whether on 1290 SA exists such VS sensor.
    In short, I would be grateful if you would post electrical diagram of this part of the 1290 SA electrical system.

BR
    Nemo
  18. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are no hal sensors on the 1290 for speed. You could very easily rig one up though for very little money. It is just a magnet and a sensor. Are there no alternative gps modules avaliable? If you are going all fancy you might as well go the whole way :-)
  19. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher Carpe Diem

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply.

Chain oiler system already has a GPS device as the information on the speed but this method is unreliable in case of deteriorated reception (eg, canyons, tunnels ...). That's why I would like to provide the full reliable motorcycle speed signal...

Chain oiler work perfectly, only bothers me occasional loss of signal, which causes the system to move from the oiling based on the distance to the oiling based on time interval. It might looks like I complicate but I'm looking for perfection... in every sense
  20. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bother about the loss of signal. You are talking about a few miles which is nothing. My chain without oiler only gets a squirt of something every 300 or so miles. The chains are sealed so all you are doing is oiling the sprockets which can cope very easily for hundreds of miles never mind a few or 10's at worst.
    Bundu likes this.