The End is Here; AKA The Adventures of "el Churro" Around Latin America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WileyRTW, Nov 2, 2020.

1. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I told you there would be donuts!! OK, admittedly I have had a bunch of donuts since that statement, but this one was huge and has cream inside the ring! Plus, I need to post more so Cal doesn't get worried, he is sure I am going to die from covid, guy plans on hiding in Canada all winter.

IMG_20201123_184355672.jpg
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    we have Tim Hortons here so Ill be okay.
    roadcapDen and WileyRTW like this.
  3. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a Tim Hortons in Saltillo the other day when I was passing through. Are ya’ll taking over Mexico now?
    WileyRTW likes this.
  4. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I went to college in Buffalo NY, they have T.H., and now I am googling where Saltillo is, this is how I plan my vacations haha.
    codebot likes this.
  5. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Ok, so Aguascalientes is 90% shut down at the moment due to covid so I have seen what I am going to see and am sitting in the hotel this evening. Next I am headed to the desert outside Zacatecas with no real plan to meet some old friends and no idea what my internet situation will be, so you get the next installment early. Of course, this is about Morelia, so I am falling way behind. And it is pic heavy again, you asked for it!

I didn't really fix el Churro during my stay in Patzcuaro, but moved onto Morelia which is a much larger city, so figure I can get him back to normal there. It is an easy drive from Patzcuaro, maybe an hour or less on the free road. The centro of Morelia is a beautiful colonial city, the entire centro is pretty large but it doesn't feel overly big, which is the perfect combination. I basically walk around and eat....why do you even read this when this is all I do? I always walk away from the centro so I can get a feel for outside the touristy areas, so I did a bunch of that too. I am not necessarily bored with the city, but being solo I don't take advantage of any of the nice looking bars or restaurants. Most are empty anyway most likely a result of covid, though everything seems to be up and running in general here.

Hmmm, maybe they are cutting down on the electric bill
    [​IMG]

There it is
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a hot tip to stay at Hotel Fenix from ADVRider, at only 200 pesos a night it lacks some of the basic amenities the snowflakes are looking for, but suits me just fine. The water was hot, it had parking, but was missing the toilet seat (typical in Mex) and the room was a bit pink. The internet was weak in my room but worked ok in the lobby, so for 10 bucks a night who is going to complain. Plus it is in the heart of the centro...I don't know how the guy on ADVRider found such a cheap but nice spot, but I stayed 7-10 days as it worked great for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner and I struggle to communicate a bit at times, every time I think he is going to tell me 1 thing he tells me the exact opposite. He did ask where I was from and commented on my accent when I first arrived, so I think it is safe to assume the problem is on my end. During one of our conversations 1 thing I get for sure, is that he tells me to stick to the 15, the other roads in Michoacan are not safe. Only the 15.....yeah ok buddy, I won't be listening to that advice, but I am getting ahead of myself.

One day I went for a brief walk to explore the southern part of the city and decide to just keep going. When I make it to the southern portion of the city where the main road loops around the city, I decide to head east towards the moto shops and see what I can find. Of course now I wish I had planned the walk and brought the thermostat and radiator cap with me, but figure my spanglish will be sufficient. To my surprise, despite google telling me there was no Kawasaki dealer in Morelia, I see a giant green and black sign which says my problems are over. Well, that is what I think, of course the guy can't help me, though he does try and sell me an expensive motocross radiator cap, which I pass on. I ask about Guadalajara and he doesn't think I will have any more luck there, but I think he is still trying to sell me that over priced radiator cap. At this point I already had a backup plan thank to the guys on ADVRider, so wasn't very concerned about it, and decide to press on rather than inquire about shipping parts in.

[​IMG]

Think I figured out my space issue
    [​IMG]

Ah yes the magic covid mat, I feel safer already
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route I took didn't have a ton going on, so when I find a mall I decide it is time for Carls Jr. Of course, after lunch I proceed north and within 5 minutes find all kinds of places that look like they would be much better to eat at, but at least the walk was more exciting. I checked later and had walked 10 miles around the city, when I had planned to walk 10 blocks or so, this is usually how it works for me, and why I am always tired/sore.

The next day I walk around looking for breakfast. I have previously had a few bowls of what is most likely pazole earlier on the trip, but since I am never sure I stop at a food stall that has a sign for the actual stuff and the price, yes no gringo tax! She tells me something and I hear the word chicken so like the dumb gringo I am say yes, I like chicken. While I may call myself an adventurer, I never said I was a good adventurer. I get an overfilled bowl of cut up chicken vertebrae, in a broth. I force down a few vertebrae's which are not overly awful, but realize I just cannot do it. I avoid eye contact with everyone and drink every drop of broth, then get up to pay my bill and quickly get out of there, who doesn't hate wasting food.

[​IMG]

Ok, now I feel better
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for food a different morning, I see a protest/parade headed to the centro, I snapped a pic and moved on but later found them in the centro having shut down a block or so, causing all the traffic to back up as it is rerouted down a much smaller, 1 way road. I also notice about 20 officers in full swat gear around the corner, so I grab some delicious gazpacho and sit down for the show, no my Spanish is not that bad, this is what they think gazpacho is here, I don't care though because it is delicious. Well the swat guys must have waited for backup since nothing happened, so I returned to Churro to fix that overheating problem as I had managed to score the supplies on my random walks. The solution is an easy fix, I use my electrical skills to whip up this sweet switch to manually turn on the fan when needed. Assuming this fixes the problem it will mean the thermo switch had failed, and I can't easily get one down here, so I hope for the best.

[​IMG]

Hey, you guys see the swat guys lining up, maybe you should get out of the street
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, let's get to work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not convinced our breakdown are over I stopped in a furniture store and thought about seeing if I could trade Churro for a dinette set, but they wouldn't throw in an Italika bike so I walked. I also start adding the gifts I have bought Churro, I figure he will either appreciate them, or be embarrassed by them, but 1 for each problem Churro, so stop acting up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From isla Janiztios calle of crap
    [​IMG]

Morelia is pretty tame even with the anarchists controlling the centro, so rather than ramble on about a trip to the market to buy a belt, or more walking around looking for food, I will just leave you with pics, since Morelia has such a beautiful centro. I lucked out with the Amor Morelia sign which was done up for dia de muertos, as they took the flowers down later in the week and revealed a rather old, tired looking sign, though admittedly that is more our style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classic tourist pic
    [​IMG]

Same street, but I know what you guys really want
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found my new riding gear
    [​IMG]

Maybe this one for when it is sleeting hail
    [​IMG]

My seat problems are over
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a woolworths store
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope el Churro doesn't end up like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    photos are not showing for me. Sjoerd Bakkers book from 2012 had the Hotel Fenix listed and that is how I found the Hotel. He has since dropped it from the book but said he will add it back in. The first room at the top of the stairs across from the little sitting table has a toilet seat. lol

Timmys has crappy industrial food, I rarely go there.
  7. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    They were there, then I broke them touching things my old ass shouldn't have, where is a millennial when you need one.....please stand by

edit: Should be good now, let me know if there is still an issue, thanks.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Los photos Todo esta bien
    The defacing of the old stone buildings is really sad.
    Champe likes this.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Agreed! It was there prior to my arrival, not done by the protesters I saw, but they were related. Here is an article on what was going on, it has to due with the murder of a young teacher, Jessica González....sad all around, but still a shame to see the damage to a historical building.
    https://es-us.noticias.yahoo.com/fuerte-protesta-morelia-asesinato-jessica-012400584.html
  10. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Since I mentioned Augascalientes, and it may be years before I get to that post, here is a covid breakdown as some of you may be planning on visiting soon. 1st, I want to thank the admins, some were quick to jump at them for stepping in to ensure the report stayed on track, but what they have allowed me to do is paint a realistic picture rather than sugar coat the situation. So please, leave your opinions out on how country X is doing vs country Y, or your opinions of covid in general, I am only sharing what I see through the visor/from the taco stand. After the Aguascalientes comment I have pasted a facebook post of my general opinion on how it is where I have been throughout Mexico. Rather than keep repeating it and boring you all to death, I will post it here and only update when I see something drastically different, such as Aguascalientes, as the facebook post applies to most of what I have seen.

It feels like about 90% of Aguascalientes is shut down. This is supposed to come to an end on the 28th, though I suspect it will continue. I arrived last evening so didn't get out and about until 7pm. There were people are out and about, but most stores/food joints were closed down. Knowing nothing of Aguas, I figured it was covid but wondered if it was just a safety issue at night, though it seems like a very safe city. This morning was the same, where it was even a bit difficult to find breakfast....there were a few options but overall nothing was opening up even at 11am. I then later talked to someone and found out they were shutdown for at least the past 2 weeks or so. There is a huge fair in April/May that brings in millions, and that was not only cancelled this year, but I believe they already cancelled the 2021 fair, so they are taking it much more serious here. Outside April/May this is not a touristy destination, but it is a city of over 1 million people. 90% are probably wearing masks, and while some noses are exposed, they are doing much better with them than what I have seen elsewhere. Word is it is the same in Zacatecas at the moment, so I am rerouting to avoid it as I head to the desert.

Here is a Facebook post I shared:
    In 5K kilometers in Mexico via moto, the majority of places I have been are not enforcing covid restrictions, I only see enforcement in the major cities and/or tourist zones. Patzcuaro for example, had restrictions in place for 1 day for the dia de muertos celebrations, but then went back to normal the following day. I can only come up with an arbitrary estimate based on what I see, but generally outside those areas only 50% of the people are wearing masks, and often with exposed noses so many of them shouldn't even count, smaller pueblos have an even lower number, if they are wearing them at all. There is no social distancing, though I see the same stickers on the ground as back home, they are just ignored. Yes stores mostly comply so they do not get closed down, but I have seen many with signs requiring masks yet locals inside without them.

This post is so you know what you are getting into if planning to come down, as most FB posts sugar coat the situation and say everyone is complying, which just isn't the case outside the tourist areas/cities. I am not trying to portray Mexico in a negative way on how they are dealing with things, only sharing my view on the situation here on the ground. YMMV

To be fair, I avoid tourists like the plague, and spend my bday at this bar, so I am aware I fall on the extreme other end of the spectrum than most. Yes, that is the pic I meant to post, it was a great night! See you guys when I get out of the desert.

152 Uruapan.jpg
    Animo and Cal like this.
  11. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    One of the better quotes I've seen here. It's funny because I've done that.

Question. What is with the guitar in the pink room? Did it come with the room?
    WileyRTW likes this.
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Haha, I think there is a small chance I ate dog meat in the remote areas of Vietnam, but their food is delicious so it was ok if I did. I tried to have an open mind on this bowl of vertebrae, but mentally I just couldn't do it. I didn't taste awful, and was generally soft, but the occasional hard bone here or there did not help. I probably only had 5 spoonful's before giving up.

Oh no, I am carrying that bitch around with me. I am toying with the idea of leaving the tail bag or guitar behind with friends. it is a travel guitar so fairly light but the two do not work great together and have been causing my body much discomfort due to where it puts me on the seat. The bag is basically camping stuff which won't get used much in Mexico, but I know I will regret which ever I leave behind.

The snowflakes will assume I am trying to busk my way around Mexico, but I don't play for money or for others, just myself. I have problems with Eczema/Dermatitis on my fingers, and was unable to play for a year once, so swore I would never not play when I was able to....which is why I carry it. I know my friends win the desert will probably force me to play for them, which I am not thrilled about haha.:kumbaya
    Champe, GonzoDirtso and codebot like this.
  13. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Ok so since Zacatecas was shut down I rerouted to SLP, which is operating as normal. This time I am really headed out to the desert, and while no thanksgiving meal, I am providing this peace offering to hold you all over.

011 San Luis Potosi.jpg
    Champe, Cal and ApexJeff like this.
  14. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving your RR.
    I went across Mexico (and a bit in Guatemala) mid Oct to beginning of Nov. I wish I would've met up with you.
    Of all the places I was, they had the foot wash. Then when walking in a restaurant, no mask required anywhere but mandatory hand disinfectant. When money was given, you set in a tray, they spray, flip and spray. Then it goes in their till.
    And yes, no toilet seats. WTF??
    WileyRTW likes this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I get older the no toilet seat is getting a bit old!
    WileyRTW and Champe like this.
  16. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Edit: I have no idea what ruta de mezcal is, I have seen signs for it out near Dolores Hidalgo, so probably has nothing to do with where I was, but this is already written so it is what it is.

So Morelia may be tame, but the surrounding area is AMAZING (once you get off the 15!). At some point while still in Morelia, el Churro and I ride up the nearby mountain looking for an aerial view of the city. The view is there, but I continue on further since el Churro now has that professional looking switch I have added, and yes it solved the overheating problem. If this adventurer stuff doesn't pan out I can always fall back on my electrical work. We continue on to explore and eventually see legit blue tourist signs for the "ruta de mezcal"....well I dont know what that is but that sounds like fun, so away we go.

Always the diva!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I follow the signs and end up on some nice dirt roads running through the forest. Early on there are a lot of people walking enjoying the forestry, but that changes quickly. I think I followed the signs correctly, but admit I am not entirely sure I did not miss one, as I really get out there and the signs vanish. It doesn't matter as I am not in charge here anyway and without the heavy bags el Churro is in his element, so I can't stop him even if I wanted to. At this point we are just following the pink arrows that they have painted out here on random trees. I have no idea what the difference is to the blue arrows I see at times, or why I picked pink, but the ride was awesome so we just stuck with what was working. We pass through some extremely small pueblos, there is scooter traffic out here, and an occasional truck or two, but el Churro and I pretty much have this paradise to ourselves.

No time to remove the helmet, we have adventuring to do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I am stopping for pics so motos have ridden up ahead which is never out of the norm, so when I get to one small pueblo and see some autodefensa/vigilantes waiting for me it is pretty obvious they knew I was coming. Now, when your ridding around solo on backroads in Mexico and see guys with large assault rifles you stop and ask yourself if these guys are good or bad. It wouldn't matter at this point as there is nowhere to go, but I am under the impression that if I ever meet the bad guys, I will know right away as I assume they will point their guns at me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys never raised their guns, so right away I know I am good. I pull up and they ask me to pull over, shut off the motor, turn off the camera, take off the helmet, and then ask me to show them ID. They were very professional about the ordeal so it was never threatening, and we talk about el Churro, my trip, and make jokes about random stuff....I told you before I am funny people, I had these guys rolling. The guy in charge eventually asks to be my facebook friend cause I am awesome, though I also suspect he may be tracking me and checking to make sure I am not sharing pics online. They did mention they have the guns for their protection as well as those in their pueblo, and again had me shut off my camera, so yeah no pics. I ask them if it is better to turn around, I had gone 2 or 3 hours and would have had a blast going back, but they say I am good back here and can ride for days, YES! Hoping they would say that I continue on, but rather than "days" I only continue on for this 1 day, I am sure I will be back here again, it is awesome back there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still exploring the ruta de mezcal, I stop for water when I get to a "big" small pueblo, where there is not a single person in this town wearing a mask. I am not sure they have heard of covid out here yet. I go into the local store saying good afternoon to an old man in a cowboy hat as I entered. He barely acknowledged me but I figure they don't get many gringos and he is probably racist. I get my water and head back to el Churro which I had parked by three teenage boys earlier, of course we start talking about el Churro. Really we talk about the enormous gas tank, that is all anyone really cares about. Eventually the old guy who had been in the store comes out and sits down next to me, and we have a nice convo about whatever we can understand between the two of us. Damn me for assuming he was racist, he was an awesome old man and wished me luck on the trip. While this is all going down 10 more people gather and hang around the truck across from us for no reason, other than there is a gringo in town. The place is cool and if I didn't already have a hotel I would try and stay here, if they even have a hotel that is....I am not so sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From that pueblo I continue on and eventually pop out of the forest by Villa Madero which has a good amount of stuff going on, just the random kind of pueblo I like, but again the bags are still in Morelia and it is getting late. I want to see if I can find a cheap hotel in order to come back here later, as well as grab some food, but decide to push on since I am cutting it close for Morelia and daylight. The rest of the ride is boring and easy compared to the awesomeness of the ruta de meczal, and I make it back just before nightfall. I have googled ruta de mezcal, and while there is some info I don't find any maps so no idea where it is compared to where I was. Michocan can have some unsafe areas, so while I recommend you head back there immediately, make sure you get some current advice, or just some advice from someone smarter than me...basically use caution and have a blast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I am headed east from Morelia the guys on ADVRider told me about mil cumbres, or thousand curves which is just outside of the city....like I didn't already know. Well, I told them I was headed there next, not to worry. No way I am missing a road with that kind of name. Yeah ok, so the problem was, I kept having these dreams, about that place, that had those stands. So I jumped on google and tried to find out what was up Quiroga, the complete opposite direction......worlds greATEST CARNITAS!!!!@! *sound of screetching tires* You seen 1 curve you seen them all, to hell with mil cumbres, el Churro and I are off to Quiroga!
    Animo, roadcapDen, ApexJeff and 3 others like this.
  17. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Curfews LOL, as if covid only comes out at night.

So I had no idea since I am old and go to bed early, but found out that San Miguel De Allende (and I assume the state of Guanajuato) has a 10pm curfew. We got to the empty bar at 9:15 or so, and had to finish our beers and leave promptly, though they told us where we could buy beer at a local store. After leaving the bar my friend and I had to check a few stores to buy beer as the one suggested wouldn't sell to my friend, as selling beer is also supposed to be shut down at 10. Of course, we eventually found some beer.

Whatever you do, don't feed covid after midnight!
    Capture.JPG
    Animo and Cal like this.
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Now, el Churro and I had such a good time on the Ruta de Mezcal, we both completely forgot about that problematic carb previously mentioned as Problem #5. But el Churro and I hate pavement, so as soon as we got on the highway he reminded me twice on the short trip over to Quiroga about the problem, bringing us to a halt on the side of the road each time. What the hell bro we are trying to go get some delicious carnitas. Ok, ok I get it you need some attention, better here than hours deep in the back of vigilante forest I guess. A quick draining of the carb each time and we were back on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we entered Quiroga we cruised down the main strip to get a lay of the city. There is a hotel right where the two main roads make a T, which is coincidently where the carnitas vendors setup shop, a block some have dubbed carnitas heaven. Quiroga is fairly small though, so we continued on to see where the other hotels were, so that I could walk around looking for a deal. There are a number of hotels in town, so as we got to the end of town I stopped where there were 2 next to each other. One was closed, so I popped into Hotel Quiroga which was only charging 280 pesos. This was a step up from the Morelia hotel, so at that price I took it, not wanting to walk all over town in my gear. That had secure parking, and prior to agreeing to stay I made sure they would let me work on Churro there which they did not object to. I later checked and the hotel by carnitas heaven was asking for 350 pesos, so while still reasonable, I made the correct choice this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally, the 1st thing I did was head for carnitas heaven, Churro can wait a little longer. I told myself I would only get 1 taco at a time so I could try all the stands, but like a kid in a candy store I was overwhelmed by the awesome sight and couldn't resist ordering up two once the guy engaged me, besides tacos are small in Mexico. Well, these things were huge, and two was just enough to leave me full. You can also order up a kilo of carnitas, which is shared between friends, or taken home, luckily I didn't try to eat that on my own. I now have an idea of starting an illegal smuggling operation and being the king of the carnitas game, I bet the price in the US will go for 10x what it is here....I will have to give it some thought. I know it will be tough not to break rule number 1, how can I not eat my own supply? Anyway, they give it to me plain with a couple of pickled peppers of some sort, which add just the right amount of spiciness. I look around and no one else has any sort of toppings, so figure it would probably offend someone if I had asked for anything else anyway. Now, these were delicious, but I suspect that these guys are actually the best salesmen in the world, as I had definitely overhyped it in my head and was expecting something a bit more, but that is in no way a complaint, they were absolutely delicious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quiroga is normally a stopover for lunch for many people, though some definitely stay a night. I don't think it is common for people to stay longer, since after 1 day you have seen it all, but it is a busy town with vendors selling all the normal crap for the Mexican tourists. But again, the carnitas was delicious, so I stayed for 4 nights. Originally I thought Carnitas Carmelo was a delicious caramelizing process of some sort, but it turns out it is the name of the family, and the have the monopoly on the carnitas game. They must have had 6 or 7 carts setup, which left the other families with 1 or two each. They all claim to make it in their own unique way, but I couldn't really taste a difference between them. I do make sure to order up the gringo tacos after the vertebrae debacle in Morelia, as here they use every part of the pig and I am hoping to avoid most of the unknown parts, which are fatty and gross looking, though reportedly delicious. Every time they reach in and grab a clean juicy cut perfect for me, I am clearly not the 1st gringo to roll through this town.

[​IMG]

Ok, you already know there were other delicious treats besides carnitas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned I had let the hotel know I would be working on Churro, so when I wasn't in a food coma I headed out and stripped him down again. This is always a pain as you need to remove the side panels, seat, and tank to get to the main stuff. Problem is, while the dirt racks are good racks, and the mosko bags are solid as well, the two do not work together all that well on the KLR. This is no fault to the manufacturers, but it is impossible for me to get to the screws without 1st removing most of the Mosko screws so I can slide the panel back to the rear to then get to the KLR screws to remove the panel, which then gives me access to the seat and gas tank screws....not the end of the world but definitely a pain! These pics from Patzcuaro show what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I finally get the carb out I walk around town looking for the supplies I will need. I find a guy selling buckets 1st, then head off and find a lady with a towel so I don't make a complete mess at the hotel, and later the Pinol which is Mexico's version of Pine Sol, which should do the trick. I have trouble finding a ruler, which I would like in order to measure the float bowl in case there is an issue there, but don't necessarily need it for the cleaning. I wanted a cheap plastic kids ruler so I could give it away later, but after a couple closed papelerias, which are stationary supply stores, I give up and head to a ferreteria, or hardware store to get a more expensive metal ruler. I take the carb apart removing and rubber bits, and find it is filthy with red crude. Now before the trip I did a rushed job of cleaning the carb while still on the bike, so I know it was clean, which means this is from the red gas I picked up near Los Mochis, when the problem 1st started. Of course while doing all this the last screw strips, which is common on these carbs. I head off to find some help, and after 3 different locations I finally find the guy who can get it out for me. He stops what he is currently ding, spends a few minutes with different tools trying tp break it loose, and finally has success. He then pulls out his bucket of spare screws, tries a few until he finds a replacement, and tells me it's free. Yay, I love free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Confident this is the issue I clean it out and let it soak for about 24hrs, which gives me an excuse to eat more carnitas. I then start to get the carb back together, measure the float bowl which is right where it should be, and get it reinstalled in Churro. Happy to have this problem most likely fixed, I put everything back together feeling great to have the problems behind me. Then, as I finish I look down at the racks and see this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of a bitch, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. My heavy diva shit I have been carrying around has broke the rack, which is only a few months old, the surface rust is because I chose not to get t powder coated so it would look older, it is cosmetic and not why t cracked....the racks just couldn't handle the adventures Churro and I threw at it. After asking around it doesn't seem like there is a welder in town, which I find hard to believe, I am pretty sure all Mexicans can weld. I drive around a little hoping to stumble on someone welding, but give up and take a day trip heading an hour back to Morelia as I cannot load the bags on the broken racks. Google gives me a couple options, but I see a sign for a welder as I am entering the city, so go to turn around, only to find one right where I do the u-turn. I ask them to fix the rack, and show a picture of an additional support, but say I don't "need" this, but it would be great if they could fabricate something like this up to make it stronger. Of course that is no problem they will do it.....but I am nervous that my Spanish may have them making something completely different. Of course we talk about the trip, and the boss mentioned he has been all over the Us for work, so we talk about all that as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They take the racks off to fix the cracks, but put them back on Churro before adding any support bar...which keeps me nervous that they didn't understand. These guys don't use any protection for the spot welds, or the main welds on the break, but do throw the welding masks on for the support bar. Since they put the racks on prior to the support bar, Churro is left with a few burn marks....I don't mind though, he is tough. They finish up the job and it looks fantastic, they offer to paint it but I tell them no need I like the rust look and I don't want to wait around for it to dry. They really want to paint it though, so I let them go ahead with it. In the end it looks great, so I ask what the cost is worrying I will get US prices from the bosses days back in the US. Nope, we are in Mexico, you get Mexican prices here amigo. I paid less than 12USD, for a bomb ass rack, thanks guys....if anyone needs a welder check out these guys in Morelia, it is probably worth the drive down from the US with the money you will save in the end, but don't even think about selling carnitas in my turf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man, so many problems fixed these past few days, I think it is time for a carnitas celebration. I even throw on some salsa this time, but it was definitely not needed. I then head up the road behind Quiroga to explore a little. I get a couple nice views of the lake, as well as cruising through some farm land, until I get to a very small pueblo. The kids are excited at Churros arrival, but I am a bit disappointed as the road turns to dirt which is great, but it somewhat blocked by a large truck, and I am not entirely sure it is even the road I need to continue on as opposed to some guys driveway, so we turn around and return home since it is already past 5. I plan on taking this road the next day when I leave and continuing on to the main road North of Quiroga, but later decide I don't want to break my new racks on the 1st day so ditch that plan. I had originally intended to head back to Morelia in order to check out this mil cumbres thing, but instead decide to continue West over to Uruapan, as there are some things over there I wanted to checkout too. So mil cumbres will have to wait a few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Animo, Cal and roadcapDen like this.
  19. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Ok boys, I admit I took the long route, which took 5 weeks and had me up by Real de Catorce before looping down to Cuidad Hidalgo, but I finally made it.
    IMG_20201213_142313857_HDR - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20201213_144815711.jpg
    IMG_20201213_151247259_HDR - Copy.jpg IMG_20201213_151353470_HDR - Copy.jpg IMG_20201213_155426458_HDR - Copy.jpg
    Animo, codebot and Cal like this.
  20. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm, pork!
    Great pics, temperature looks temperate.