The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Abthalutamente! :rofl
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Ethto Eth....... El DAKAR!
  3. beechum1

Oddometer:

as far as roadbook availability: rallynavigator. Make your own right? I have a collection for north of Reno, NV and south of Tijuana. I've made my own for training. It's quite helpful to get used to the markups and symbols, making it too.

I wasn't trying to limit it to ASO and the Dakar. I figure by that point, most have their game dialed. Or should. The scope of my observation was a bit more focused on beginner to afithionado. Like me. Getting the Bivi routine dialed seems like equally as important as all the other training. I would think it would be very easy to forget or overlook, or make a mistake while doing all these activities while ridiculously tired by the end of a few days of good riding. And while it's all a part of our normal routines in the garage, seemingly, that portion should be practiced while "on the road" and tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
  4. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making a road book is incredibly time consuming and then the route needs riding anyway for accuracy and notes so it's not the same as riding one blind. Only way I can see to solve this is have a 'club' of riders taking iron turns to generate routes. Very very difficult to pull together :-(
  5. Aussie66

Aussie66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DC requires very little road book experience, a lot , the most is off piste, with the occasional track to follow. Add to that that tracks in the sand are dead easy to follow so that makes it easier again.

About training, we had one of the guys work on google maps and program a couple of 300km routes. On a garmin 201 or 301 you get a decent display and have to pay attention to direction , course etc , absolutely great training, also we never started in a group always at intervals, this forces you to ride your own pace.

Living in Dubai it's so easy to ride with the weekend warriors, but this pace is good for 2 hours but not for 6 hours on a rally bike. If you average +50 km/hr you will be doing well in the DC, not top but well.
  6. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    In the Western USA we have over a dozen proven roadbook training routes (100-500km each), and we have RMS Dave and Jimmy Lewis who organize group roadbook navigation training schools, so it's not as difficult around here as some may think. Outside this region you're probably right, which is why Dave gets a handful of foreigners coming to his training as well as local riders. He was just out there a week ago with a group!
  7. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the GPS is mainly or always activated so navigation is ok plus there will be tracks to follow

I want to get used to and competent with the road book though as much as anything so I'm on top of the hazards etc

I've been only on a 9 litre tank so far so have been surfing the gas stations. Before smashing my ankle up messed my plans I was supposed to be doing the bigger days out now :baldy

On the enduro bike I was knocking on the door of 50km averages for solo rides (in summer) of 130km or so. Its going to be interesting just how much I'm set back after 3 months off the bike. The bike will hopefully be rallyed up some so its going to be an interesting time ahead.

Psyched for some Liwa time as soon as I've restored confidence in my ankle :wink:
  8. beechum1

Oddometer:
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2YC3wNTZw20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    You pretty much described in that sentence what the majority of the Swedish network (and as of a couple years back in Finland also) of rally enthusiasts do on a semi-regular basis up here in Scandwegia... :wink:
  11. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Video not available in Aust ???
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    oooohhhh... :clap they've coloured it in... :lol3 :deal

[​IMG]
  14. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The white roof was deliberate to keep it cooler.
  15. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Troy it looks wider ? Is that illusion or have they widened it from a video you guys were commentating on 5-6 weeks ago?
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I think it's an illusion, created by the fact that they have dropped the ride height of the suspension considerably (like we speculated 5 - 6 weeks ago...) :deal

[​IMG]
  17. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So at a certain speed does the suspension lift? Is it variable speed hydraulic suspension ?
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Nope... no active suspension permitted in the tech rules... what they lose in ground clearance, they will make up in suspension compliance traction and stability (both cornering and the rough).

The last (sneek peek) video clips that they slipped out a couple weeks ago from marocco, the PUG looks much better/stable in rough going than the first outings in France/chateau Lastours.

Now the challenge is to have all three cars ready, function tested and present at BA in January. They will (even if achieve this feat) be sadly lacking in R&D/test time before taking on the Dakar and compete for the win... which was their war cry at the press release earlier in the year.
  19. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So do you think that lowering it was done reduce drive shaft angles and improve durability as well as lower cog? Surely if same track that extra height would have created excessive drive shaft angles?
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Just got a Pharaons Rally newsletter, 2015 edition set for May 2015, but no word about being part of the World Country Rally Raid championship...:evil