The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Nah... I think it was done (as part of set up testing) to improve the awkward handling it exhibited in it's first couple of debuts.

I'm not privvy to the engineering or set-up changes they may have done... but an (un)educated guess is that they have reduced the pre-load/static sag on the front and rear, effective making the suspension more compliant AND the cars stationary ride height - a little less.

Dunno, they could have changed a-arm mount/shock mount points, altered the linkage in the rear... a lot of things... but I don't think it will alter the drive angles much (as at full droop, the CV's would run out to much the same)... just that when stationary the PUG sits further down in the over wheel travel scope of thing, than it did prior.

... or that's my best hunch anyway.
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    HAIL CESARE!!!
    Definitely cheering him on as well. :clap:freaky His relaxed, always happy attitude will go a long way to him reaching the finish line. What's his race number? Does he need anything that we can help him with?
  3. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Peugeot is primed to take the place in my heart as the most bad-ass Dakar car in the past 10-15 years. :raabia:gun1
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    It is nice lookin'... now with the war paint on, it actually looks not dissimilar (a little shorter wheelbase/little more edgy perhaps) to the VW Toureg... but with more french design flair.

It will be nteresting to see how the French teams big tyre 2WD/turbo diesel V6 "thinking outside of the box" project goes in January. :wink:
  5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    This is an issue for all UK competitors as Rallies here do not use Road Books. Being such a small crowded island with very complicated (and restrictive) access laws, the powers that be are very nervous about letting a bunch of hooligan bikers loose in the countryside having to find their own way! God forbid they might get lost dontcha know!!!

So UK rallies have to date been like long time card enduros, where we just follow the arrows usually around several large laps (35 to 90 miles depending on event), with long liaisons and short specials.

Thankfully that is starting to change due to the efforts of Robert (Burt) Hughes and Mark (Moly) Molyneux who organise the UK All Terrain Rally Challenge. At one of their own events earlier this year there was an optional roadbook liaison section which was very well received and this has managed to convince the land owners in Mid Wales at least that we are not all a bunch of rampaging eco-terrorists :D

On the strength of this a bunch of us rolled up in Llanidloes in deepest darkest Wales the other week for a "Roadbook Social" run in the format of a "mini rally". OK the "bivouac" was in a couple of hotels in town but Saturday night saw us attend a road book briefing followed by the obligatory sticking together of the road books and copious amounts of highlighting! Then we retreated to the dining room and later the pub next door!

The next morning saw us flagged off from a car park in town at two minutes intervals (Ooooh just like the fast guys in the Dakar) for a 150km road book loop, this involved some (very) small back roads out of town to the first checkpoint where Moly was waiting with the sag wagon. We only lost a few riders on this section and Burt, riding as tail end Charlie had his work cut out finding them!

We then did a large loop in the Tarenig Forest where most of us had raced the Tarenig Rally the month before but this time we rode in the opposite direction, which was interesting. As a result you sort of knew where you were but not entirely (they had made a few changes from the Rally route too) so had to trust the roadbook absolutely (a few people got a bit lost here too).

A second checkpoint at a filling station in Ponterwyd gave us a chance to refuel and grab some food before set of on the northern loop around the Nant y Moch reservoir. Here we rode on a combination of public byways and other unsurfaced highways but also footpaths, bridleways and other private tracks where motor vehicles are not normally allowed. Thanks to Burt and Moly's efforts we had permission to use these routes that were rather "challenging" in places :rofl

A third checkpoint back at Ponterwyd gave us a chance to regroup and the waifs and strays reappeared before we set off back to Llanidloes, mostly on black top but with a brief detour through the Tarenig forest on the way.

A fantastic day, with a great route and excellent preparation for a "proper" road book event.

Best news of all is in August 2015 the boys will be running a three day rally in Wales with a Road book option.

http://allterrainrallychallenge.co.uk/new-3-day-rally-event-for-2015/

Here's a few photos from the social event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are blessed in Sweden by having ex Aussie Troy with us who really started the trend of situation training for us Swedes with DLW i.e Dirty Long Weekend road book training and right now we have 3 to 4 RB rallies per year in Sweden some real Malle Moto style some with luxury as pre arranged accommodation.

Troy might complain about my Swenglish but thrust me you should see Troys Swedish spelling :)
  7. manuellucchese

manuellucchese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s0nELKSeTWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. manuellucchese

manuellucchese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow the entry list for the dakar should be available... :evil
  10. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe then I'll find out my race number?? Not sure how others know their number already but I haven't heard anything from the ASO regarding my race number:dunno.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Just arrived today: :deal

2014/06/05

Bonjour Monsieur BoJay Une

Désolé, il y avait un misstake, votre entrée est de reporter à 2016 ... espérons que cela ne cause aucun inconvénient ...?

:rofl
  12. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dizave
    You're a funny guy Troy! Ironic that today at lunch over a coffee (don't start on me - I can't ride without it ... I'm a cyclist!:deal) one of my work colleagues asked if I was going to cross the 5 out and put a 6 on my Tee Shirts if I crash in a Criterium this weekend!:kurt. I figure I won't crash if I'm first across the line!!!:deal
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Well... you were the one who said you hadn't recieved your number, you do have the 14 crossed out on you t-shirts, you did crash you road cycle about (18? :ear) months or so ago... and you do drink lattés... :augie (plus he's a Kiwi on exile in Oz...! :rolleyes).

so what do you damned well expect mate...?! :lol3

But seriously, good luck with the ride on the weekend John, and all the best in the lead up and execution of the task in january! :thumb
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lzukPLwaENo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

site

website
  16. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:

Spoke to Nasser at the UK WRC round at the weekend and he will be running in a Mini at Dakar under his own signage,
  18. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes and no.
    Nasser is not very stable in terms of teams, both in WRC and in Rally raid.
    He himself announced to be running Dakar with an Overdrive Hilux, but no announcement from Overdrive, just run (and won one) some Baja.

He later joined X Raid for Marroc at last minute, run there (won) even with a very late minute decration.

X Raid chief announced informally that Nasser is to join them for Dakar, but nothing formal.

It is quite often that Nasser does this type of change at the vey last minute:

- He raced with Robby Gordon Hummer decididng that just some 15 days before deliverying the car to Buenos Aires. Bad preparation of the car and himself adapted to the Hummer characteristics meant a DNF.

- He mounted his own team with the buggies rushing against time. Good potential, but lack of test eant him and Sainz DNF

This year he has raced with HRX, Toyota, Mini, back to HRX.
    So anything can happen.
    I do belive he is in with a Mini, but his status within X raid and which evolution of the Mini is the one he would get, still a mistery.

Tomorrow we should have soem confirmation.
  19. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Just shows how little attention I pay to the car segment. :hide
  20. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should go to this link: (it is in dakar.com/competitors/Access your dossier)

http://lynx.cia-sophia.com/DakarIns...=201579cb-a5cf-4377-a244-c6d5546a76b9&lang=en

You should have been granted an ID and obtain a password.

Please let us know afetrwards!!