The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Didn't he even have a test drive/race in an SAM Mercedes at one stage (Dubai or Oman somewhere?). Or maybe it was 2013... while he was contemplating Bugglies or something (after the RG Hummer ordeal?)

In any case, he changes drives more often that any other driver... and that lack of consistency (between driver/team etc.) is part of the reason I don't see hime as a threat, till the day he commits to a team/they commit to him and they work on some longevity towards the goal.

Dakar is not just a very long race; a gig that happens once a year...

... it's a year long gig, that happens just once every year.
  2. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention this. Nassar just called me like an hour ago.
    "Um . . . yes, Dread, yes, okay, I would like to borrow your car for the Dakar in January. .. yes, so it's okay?"

But it's cold in January here and I can't be walking around, so I told him I couldn't spare it. I think he's going to call TSC next (it's warm there so you can get around on foot in January, right?). If that doesn't work out he'll probably just go with the mini. It doesn't have fuzzy dice hanging from a rear-view mirror or a vanillaroma air freshener like my car has, but he can get by with it.
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Dread... I think Sweden and Utah, are pretty much the same as far as frigid in the month of January goes... :wink:

And your spot on, Nasser just called me too... asking if I had a line on a good car for him... :evil The call went like this; :deal

[​IMG]

"Hello TSC... yes, yes it's good, and with you...? Okay, it's good, yes you know too...? But okay, I am wondering; you know we have made some very good testing of the HRX; so far it is in a good way and we make some changes, but okay... we try. Then I was wondering - you know - if you have some idea for another good car... but okay, you see the overdrive is very good feeling in the dunes... but okay, we make some changes and we try... and you know; the MINI also is fast and reliable, but okay, we make some changes for a good feeling in the car... and then we try. But okay, do you know where I can find a Mistubishi these days...?" :ear
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Wow! ^^^ Except for the (still) very damage vulnerable "loop" on the rear exhaust pipe (before the silencer) I think that is one of the most sleek minimalist designs we have seen yet! Pity Yamaha cannot decide on one design platform and focus a factory effort behind that... and then make a series production run available for customers...

But that thing does look fine! :clap
  6. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    +1

That looks like what I think/hope will be the wave of the future, simple/sleek/fast.

Beautiful!
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Whoa, awesome looking bike! I don't know why but those tanks make me nervous.
  8. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree ^^^^^
    the Yamaha looks like a MX bike with a few thrown on Rally parts.
    the bash plate/tank wont last
    To small main tank for me....
    Bring back the BIG PIGS and long days !!!!!!!!!
  9. manuellucchese

manuellucchese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried looking into your online dossier? i don't remember well but i think it may be written there
  10. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda SouthAmerica annouced today finally.
    No surprises at all, as I have mentioned in previous post:

Honda SouthAmerica will be run by works Honda Argentina usual team (MEC TEAM) whith bikes developed by HRC in Japan and technical support from them.

Riders:

Argentina: Javier Pizzolito, Pablo Rodriguez, Demian Guiral
    Brazil: Jean Azevedo
    Chile: Daniel Gouet

Rodriguez and Guiral, most probably will take support function.
    All of them except Gouet, have already been racing under Honda Factory support and within Mec Team.

I do think the 3 main riders are clearly top ten material!!
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I agree on longer days and I'd add compulsory nights spent in the bivouac (no hotels), ban RV's (mandatory tents) and it's been years since ASO did a 19-21 day Dakar.

Ease up a bit on the terrain and lengthen the distance between fuel stops.

This would change the design of the bikes and add a more "Dakar" feel to the race...in my humble opinion. In reality, sadly, it will likely become a stadium race some day. 900 laps of a simulated desert track :D
  12. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  13. yety61

yety61 Global Vagabond

Oddometer:
  14. Linhares

Linhares OSM addicted

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Great news, Zeque!
  15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This will be quite an accomplishment if they succeed. I predict they will be out by day four but what do I know. It looks like they will be changing out batteries instead of fueling up. That's going to require a bunch of planning.

They say it is 100% EcoPowered, whatever that means. It has solar cells to power on-board electronics but I assume charging will come from the grid. Fossil fuels (natural gas, petroleum, & coal) make up 90% of Argentina's, 58% of Chile's, and 60% of Bolivia's electrical power so emissions will simply be remote from the course.

Still, it's a new arena for battery powered vehicles.
  16. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely. Much more YZ than WR. The longevity remains to be proven under long multi-stage rallying but it's a very sleek, light design.
  17. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

Nice bike, IMHO, but can somebody enlighten me as to why they don't just put the exhaust a bit higher/further back, thereby eliminating the need for said loop? :huh

Am I missing something obvious that'd make this impossible/result in a even more vulnerable routing?
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/blo6hgvMFZw?list=UUvunzf5JpaPPLQrFsnGZ-MQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:

:rofl That would be him, okay, but we try, and I´m happy, you know?
  20. yety61

yety61 Global Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Reverse cylinder YZ engine and they can't loop the header around they cylinder as per standard YZ, because of the need to run the bigger front tank/tanks needed for the longer stages.
    Therefore, BIG loop out the back.

At least that's what I see, willing to be corrected from those more in the know. :D