The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Yes... but on this configuration YZ Rallye... they don't have the big tanks up the front/top...? :deal

[​IMG]

They have utilized a sumpguard style tank mounted below the motor.

So I understand why they cannot use a down swept (conventional rally style) exhaust... but curious as to why cannot use the loop around the cylinder version, similar to the 2014/15 standard MXer's...
    [​IMG]

The only possible explanation I can think of... they want to avoid excess heat generated around the cylinder... which could prove detrimental in the extreme desert temperature...?

Hence we still have the titanium donut pipe draped off the right hand rear end, just waiting to get clobbered. :eek1
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can run the pipe round the back tyre for all I care, I just want the kit for my WR, that rear subframe tank is seeeeeexy :D
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    2014-11-19

Nasser Al-Attiyah - contrary to earlier reports this year - announced today, he is to pilot a Mini X-Raid at the 2015 Dakar Rally. Despite the fact that earlier in the season he came with news that he would participate in a Toyota Overdrive; :deal

Al-Attiyah tested in spring with the Toyota Overdrive. In the Cross-Country World Cup he also participated several times with Mini.

"I've ridden for Mini, a team that has won the Dakar. Toyota has never done this, I want the first Dakar Rally win for Toyota." He said earlier in the year. Al Attiyah even gave the Overdrive Toyota victory at Baja Hungary this year.

That position is now changed and he teams with X-Raid for the 2015 dakar.

My take on this: :deal At best guess - I assume he made that statement back when he (still) thought he might be in line for one of the latest 2015 spec (IRS, 2 door/lowered body) Hilux's... and not a 2014 spec overdrive customer rental...? :ear

That being the case... perhaps he felt that the All-4 MINI and X-Raid team, give him a better shot at taking victory? :ear
  5. CBVRacing

CBVRacing CBVRacing

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, they (ASO) will never go back to that (type) of event, I don't believe...
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
  8. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Which is sad (in my opinion always....) I am glad other events are popping up here and there.
    The true desert spirit is long gone, the true heroes in Dakar are the Malle Moto and privateer rider. When we used to do endurance races here, we have a tent near the track (in the pits actually :evil) and nothing else. Then came the hotels, the room service and the spa time :lol3
  9. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    All smiles!

[​IMG]
  10. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So what's folks thoughts on these sump guard tanks?

I really like the idea of how low the weight is carried

I really like how easy they would be to fit to most enduro bikes

With a conventional 13 litre 'top' tank and 7 litres in the sump it's a pretty good range for a rallye lite build

Anyone seen any pricing on the JVO model shown? Or has anyone seen specs or messed with the latch system? Pricing on the other model discussed earlier?

I particularly how centralised the weight would be. Be easier to set up suspension. Rear tanks strike me as putting a lot of weight at the end of long lever and high up.

Thinking of putting an emergency water tank / tool stash behind the left side number plate

But.........

Will it cope with the rigours of being somewhere that potentially takes a beating.

I see plenty of split plastic bash plates on bikes used only in the dunes here.

But perhaps a rally bike takes less of a beating. Be less in the air than the mx bikes out on laps that guys know well

Any other pros and cons?
  11. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

It should be said that the RVs and motorhomes weren't ASO's plan. Situation and geography is a big part of this. PanAmericana highway made this type of Bivouac possible.
    One could say that they could have moved the whole show 200-300km inland and inaccessible to fancy vehicles, but why would they unnecessarily complicate their (mind boggling) logistic? (Supposedly, one of the reasons for shorter stages is so they could slot inside (19h and 23h) European TV broadcast.)
    As everyone saw last year, shorter stages haven't reduced the endurance character of the race.

First time I had the opportunity to really follow the Dakar was in 2008. (also known as the Paris to Lisboa edition), so I'm not overly sentimental about the Sahara.
    I also prefer the grueling climb up the mountain then the long-ass slab down the plane.

Viva El Dakaro. :freaky
  12. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get pricing on this?
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dutch plug and play version is 395 euro ex vat for FI bikes, add 50 euros for a vacuumpump for the carbed bikes...

[​IMG]

Includes tank, skid plate (alu), tank cover, all hardware mounting, fuel cap and fuel lines.
  14. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Is it one Marathon stage this year for bikes? :ear
  15. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    When you walk around the bivouac and take a look at the Overdrive setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then you look at the setup Sven has

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You would say since I have a budget that will never break I'm bedy bedy happy to stay with Svens team..

[​IMG]
  16. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i really hope they finish... but if they are in fact swapping in / out sets of batteries (at a fuel stop) are they going to get allowance in the rules to get crew help at fuel stops? it's not like it's a non-standard fuel "drop"... i imagine it's alot of work to swap batteries in and out, especially with the battery packs located centrally for balance & handling.

i know that the tesla mechanics can swap a P85 battery pack in ~10/15 min, but that's in the trunk of the car (easier access) and when it's in the factory. doing the same thing on the road will be an amazing feat... i doubt that the drivers would be able to do it on their own.
  18. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From their website;

So yes it looks like they will be charging the battery packs from the grid.

The batteries should be easy enough to change, there are 4 so you'd think they'd be light enough for the drivers to change.
  19. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    This will be an interesting one to watch, the marathon stage in particular.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I believe it is possible to pay ASO to carry specific fuel for you... so I imagine the electric car team will have made an arrangement with the out-fuel truck/s...

Mind you, having a bunch of potentially volatile Li-Ion batteries bumping around next to thousands of litres of gasoline might make their drivers a little nervous?!

Jx