The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replace the Lego block with a not-yet-completely-disappeared dog-bone, and that's an amazingly accurate description, except most of the sleeping for two weeks is done in the chair at the PCs, chin on chest. And no sleep for days when Luis and/Manny were "out there, somewhere."

It's gonna be much easier in '16. Yard Racer and I have formed our own little Central/East TX F5 sub-team; when one has to sleep, or, like, make a quick run to the liquor store or ice cream purveyor, or go to the hospital for something minor like a heart attack or stroke or Aortic aneurysm, or . . . well, you get the picture . . . the other will take over fully, making sure the racers are NEVER without a qualified, experienced SLOW CLAP Starter on the job. After all, ya never know when Team F5 is gonna have to save the day :pynd
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    ^^^ You do know that f5 DAKAR is not like virtual Baja... :brow don't you Garf'...? :wink: it's not a teams race, where you can hand off to a co-driver...

I mean... cyber Malle Moto iz where da' shit is at man! :thumb :rofl
  3. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:

ppsst not me, never been there
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    wrk2surf said:
    f5ire in the hole ?????????????????

I guess so...?! :D Rhino was the first... so we will take the ball and run with it f5 style.

THIS :deal
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/off5icial-2016-pre-dakar-preparation-and-speculation-thread-a-two-country-affair.1103897/

is forthwith the off5icial pre-Dakar 2016 thread, where any and all DAKAR 2016 pre-event related discussion takes place - and leave (this) THE BIVOUAC thread to "general" rally info as much as possible. :beer

Thanks... :thumb
  5. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Hi John!

Very nice meeting you in person, it feels good to have friends along the way!

Namibian gravel was amazing as usual, now at the Okavango. Finally checked the Bivouac to find out the Dakar pre-season is full speed ahead :eek We are months away from Dakar and I'm already pages behind :D

Take care,

Carlos
  6. garfey

Oddometer:
    Well, of course!
    (so that's why our arabesques will be as schmoove as if we were mustachioed men hiding behind outbuildings with spare tires)
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
  8. garfey

Oddometer:
  9. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    2016 HILUX
  10. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can a mod or one of the F5 aliens contact me? Trying to get some help for one of our own
  11. garfey

Oddometer:
    You F5ers remember how many times Sandy Spears relayed info from the bivvy to keep us informed about Luis, middle the night, night after night, year after year?

Scott and Sandy Spears (Freedom Rally Racing) could use a good ol' Slow Clap right now, and a few spare shekels wouldn't hurt either.

Buy a smaller turkey!

LINK => http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/inmate-in-need-of-help.1105557/
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    PM sent... will get back to you soon... In the meantime, our thoughts and best wishes are with Scott and Sandy and of course their son Ashton.
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Anything gone wrong. Please tell the ignorant.
  14. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Okay, the link is in the post above, but here are the details.

Scott and Sandi Spears, from Freedom Rally Racing are taking their son Ashton in for another heart surgery tomorrow (second in a couple months). So many of us had had long sleepless nights with team F5 hanging on to every update for the riders they helped through the Dakar. All I can tell you is they are great people, and from everything I know of Ashton he is a great kid. The world needs more like him right now.

This is a HUGE financial burden on them, and they have asked for help from no one. Family convinced them to accept it though. I just want to make sure they get it. They have been friends to me and helped on a few different things. They deserve some support in return. The link to the support site is in my thread in inmates. Please, skip your coffee or Diet Coke for a week, send a little their way. It can be done anonymous.

If you can't afford that, jump on the thread, send Ashton a note, some well wishes, anything. Help me have something to send to them tomorrow after he comes out of surgery to show him.
  15. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    The numbers on gofundme are climbing. Thanks so much to everyone here! Now everyone go jump on the thread and get in on the good old slow clap for Ashton tomorrow!! Would be nice to send the link to his parents to show him when he wakes up!
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  16. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Ashton was wheeled back for surgery 30 minutes ago. Let's get the slow clap going folks?
    chasbo likes this.
  17. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    An update from Scott:

Our son is a true inspiration and a fighter. According to the nurses update, "he is going with the flow"!!!

At this moment his chest is open and they have removed the valve. The surgeon is measuring the size of the valve and is working with the rep from On-X to size his new carbon valve (Similar to Vforce carbon reeds for all my Moto friends).

A little info for the tech geeks, like me.

http://www.onxlti.com/medical-professionals/on-x-prosthetic-heart-valve-design-and-features/
    DaveRMS and WIsixfitty like this.
  18. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Update from Sandi about 20 min ago:

7:15am-5:15pm & just rolled into PICU from surgery. It was a LONG ONE. (This picture is from this morning not now). He will be out for a while yet. Surgery went pretty good. Details later. :)

GO ASHTON!!
  19. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crossing my fingers for him and your family.
  20. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Ashton is recovering well. Enough to be flirting with the nurses. Here is the latest from Sandi:

Ashton's drug induced, 12 hour love affair, from previous heart surgery came in to visit him. Becky is an amazing ICU nurse. She was disappointed Ash quickly forgot about her after the good drugs wore off ;p All he remembers was a nice nurse saved his life when he thought he was dying. He claims he doesn't remember wooing her That's ok Ash, she'll never forget you & her husband likes the story you're sticking to. #TeamAshton

You guys have been awesome and done so much for the spears family, let's keep this going to help them out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    chasbo, WIsixfitty and 640 Armageddon like this.