The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I had some misunderstanding on Sandi's last update. Yesterday was rough and revealed some new issues. Too much to write, the detailed update is on the gofundme site. Give it a read, and let's really get the emotional support going for this young man and his parents

https://www.gofundme.com/4a8s9mws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Scott asked me to pass on his families deepest thanks and appreciation for everyone's support and donations. I am sure he will be on as things calm down a little, but I can tell you this means the world to them all. One more reason ADVrider rocks!

3. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    I'm going to keep updates from here on out in the sticky over in "inmates". Go check out the latest and offer up some encouraging words for the spears family please!!

4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    This weekend Redbull knockout in the Netherlands, a beachrace, must be on redbull TV
    They are building it up right now.
    Boulevard
    Strand
    Pier
  5. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Not a race, but a road book rally non-the-less.

Rebelle Rally: First Ever U.S. Off-road Navigation Rally Raid
    http://jpfreek.com/2015/12/01/rebelle-rally-first-ever-u-s-off-road-navigation-rally-raid/

JPFreek is thrilled to share the announcement of the Rebelle Rally, the first-ever women’s off-road, multi-day, navigation rally raid using paper maps and compasses (no GPS or cellphones).

Based on the idea behind the incredible Rallye Aicha des Gazelles in Morocco, this rally will be held in the southwest U.S. in October 2016 and is open to the first 60 two-women teams.

Looks to oriented to the four-wheel locomotives, but I would think an enterprising woman could squeeze a bike in. Maybe a guy wearing a wig?
    yardracer and Gian like this.
  6. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Cross Country Rallies 2016 calendar is (almost) on:

2-7 April Abu Dhabi
    17-22 April Qatar
    8-15 May Pharaons
    2-7 June Sardegna
    ? tba
    1-7 October Maroc
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  7. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any new information about the Africa Eco Race 2016? 12 days to the start and I can't find any entry lists or other info since their 'presentation' in Monaco several weeks ago. They seem to post the countdown photos on FB every day but no other info I can find. Kinda lame in my opinion.....especially in this day and age when people are already mapping the prologue for Dakar.....
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    http://www.africarace.com/en/
    https://www.facebook.com/Africa-Eco-Race-130566836969577/?fref=ts
    interactive map
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zcEND_Q0SkEA.kfLWthnGXpdY

all I got..
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Desert Rose Racing have a number of riders competing in Africa Race this year, I'm sure the info will start to flow once we get a little closer to departure date...

Jx
  10. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas on K mug! (pretty sure he is with desert rose this year)
    cross-country and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  11. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was all I found too. Thanks for the effort!

After your post I went looking and it appears he is going but can't tell who he is going with for a team.

I still think it short sighted that the organizers can post info about a non-event (presentation in Monaco was probably just an excuse to go to Monaco anyway!) but can't manage to get info up like an entry list.....which should be well solidified by now. Even the smaller rallies don't seem to have a problem getting some data out for people. It isn't like the start is a long way off, less than two weeks at this point.
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
  13. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    now they have added:

28 Aug-4 Sep Atacama

and with the recent Aso to Merzouga Rally move for the Dakar Series,
    we have Merzouga just 1 week after the Pharaons...
  15. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    What's the story? I see there's none on the leader board. Is this all due to the Emissions scandal? They were dominating a few years ago...
  16. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you believe what they say about their vehicles?
  17. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    @Clancy

As Desert Boots said, this subject has been raised in the past, and discussion/feasability looked at - even more recently than 2008.

As Clancy and DB point out, the continent of Australia offers all of the logistical infrastructure and vatied terrain/land requirements to host a "DAKAR" rally... all within the one country (no border crossings... earthquakes or altitude sickness required :D ... although we do get rain on occassion in the wey, bushfires if it's dry and enough snakes and spiders to keep most of the tourist's nervous* :lol3)

*The first aussie that mentions "drop bears" here, will be banned - no correspondence entered into. :D

Shipping to and from Australia requires a bit longer than the Europe - Sth America haul, and its about a 17 - 24 hour flight to get "down under" (depending on where you leave from) for most participants from the America's or continental Europe. That being said, when Sydney hoster the 2000 summer Olympic's, it was heralded as on of the most convivial, well run and liked Olympic Games held in recent times, by both the athletes, the Olympic movement and the spectators who attended.

That Australia can organise world class international motorsport events there is no question; just by looking at the list of world standard motor racing venues and races that the country has hosted over the years in recent times; the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in Adelaide and now Melbourne, MOTO GP and World Superbike WSBK at Eastern Creek Sydney and Phillip Island Melbourne, CART/Indycar GP Surfers Paradise, WRC Rally in Western Australia and New South Wales, the BATHURST 1000 and 24 HOUR race, V8 Supercar series, the REPCO and Play Station/Mobil Around Australia Marathon Rallies, Targa Tasmania, Classic Adelaide GP festival, World motocross MXGP's, World Speedway GP Finals, two ISDE's the annual A4DE, Finke Desert Race, the Australian Off Road Championship (moto and auto) and possibly - most relevant to the "DAKAR" question - the Australasian Safari rally from 1985 up until 2014.

For the DAKAR "traditionalists" there is one major calender problem with hosting a "DAKAR" in Australia, and that is the January start date. As anyone who's has spent any time in the interior of the Aussie desrt/outback know's... "summer" is not the time to be organising a cross country rally. The heat exhastion aspects that we have exhausted ourselves dicussing her over the last week, will become a fact. No question.

How the ASO and "traditionalists" would feel about a "DAKAR" being conducted in August/September (the ideal window - "mild" climate in the deserts and before rain season in the northern tropic third of continent) is a commercial consideration.

From the planning perspective, there is just one other key consideration... the DAKAR tradition of "off piste" navigational stages. The roads and tracks used for the Australasian Safari have always been (for the mostpart) on privately owned cattle grazing stations in the states of western New South Wales, South West and Central Queensland, the Northern Territory, Western Australia and South Australia. The combined area of these five states is more than equal to the task of plotting a 10,000 km trans continental rally... it's been done, and conducted... four times, by people I am very familiar with. But the entire rally can be logged and navigated using road book navigation. GPS navigation had not (in past) been deemed necessary.

If for the purposes of "a DAKAR" it is determined that HP (off piste) navigation IS necessary to create the challenge of the orienteering aspects, there is no reason they could not be effected. Stages similar to that found in the Amageza Rally in South Africa could be achieved... using HP waypoints and CP's to define the route on some of the larger tracts of land in the central Australia regions would not prove to be greatly difficult, from a practical excercise... getting the landholder and departmental government permissions to do so, from the environmental aspect would prove to be something that requires a great deal of work though I am assured.

It is true, Australia does not have the huges desert seas of open sand dunes, that the Sahara of Africa, the Atacama of Chilé and Peru have... but we do have deserts... BIG ones... they are "vegetated" similar to those of the southern western African continent in Namibia etc. This type of ladscape can host epic rally stages, as the Australian Safari has proven for many years past.

This years DAKAR was different in many ways to years past. Since the rally's emmigration to South America, there have been some fundemantal adjustments and changes made - due to the environmental canvass that the countries of Argentina, Chilé, Bolivia and Peru offer. The weather that El Ninõ tossed at us this year... no one can control that - the elements are something to contend with no matter WHERE you decide to stage such an event, all continents have their peculiarities and challenges.

Could you run the DAKAR in Australia...? Short answer - "yes". Would it require some morphing to do so...? Short answer - "yes". Do I think that it is likely to do so...? Short answer - "I don't believe so".

For mine, I would bet on the DAKAR staying in South America for at least three years more... They will look to get Chilé and Peru back on the route, and I believe that Brazil is also a logical inclusion - they have cross country rallies that are already conducted there... the terrain, roads and knowledge/familiarity with the sport exists already.

Over and above that... China/Asia is a logistical and economic opportunity - with vast tracts of suitable land available. The move back to Africa (the Sahara) is unlikely in forseeable future (five to ten years?) due to the political climate perhaps? A move back to to Southern Africa is more likely in that respect perhaps, but still there there are many factors to consider.

It's a simple question, with a complex answer... and only really Etienne Lavigne and the board at Amaury Sport organisation really know what they would like to do as far as options go.

:1drink
  18. chug1

chug1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that informative and insightful rundown Troy. :nod
    One thing I have wondered about a Dakar downunder is the spectator density. Following the stages you visualised, it would be pretty easy to run a day that starts in a town of 200, goes completely bush for the whole day and then bivs again in another tiny settlement without going near a single soul. Do you think this lack of 'trackside' spectating would influence the rally significantly? The spectators at Finke are a counterexample, but most of them are only a camping-day away from Alice Springs anyway. Some Aussies as well as internationals could well go camping out Whoop-Whoop to see the race go past but there wouldn't be too many.

Curious to hear any thoughts.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    What you say is tue for many parts of the interior of Australia yes... it is one of the things that would make the process of planning and conducting the stages (private land) far simpler.

In that respect an "Aussie DAKAR" would not have anywhere near the trackside spectator density that the South American DAKAR has exhibited since 2009... from that perspective the "Aussie version" would be much more like the old days of Africa - in many parts of Mauritania, Niger and Mali to the interior of the Sahara, where you could go 100's of km's and not see a soul. The occassional bedouin nomads, at a Wadi or oasis/waterhole. only when coming to the remote villages would you expect to see "spectators"... but in that respect the curiosity was only passing at best. In the larger towns through Marocco there was interest, but only the bigger outposts of the interior like Kiffa and Agadez was there any "spectators" as such. A totally different economic demographic at play, than that which exists in South America.

Typically on the Australian Safari, a competitor might see a few of the local cattle station owners (for whom the route approval is attained) along with family and perhaps some invited friends, who set up to watch the competitors come through as they pass a cattle yard, water bore or homestead. But by and large the "piste" is free of "spectators". Well at least the two legged homo-sapiens kind.

Most foriegn competitors are amazed at how plentiful (and kamikaze like) our kangaroo's and emu's are... and when you are in cattle country, it's not uncommon to see large heards of aussie beef roaming around the joint.

There a pluses and minuses to this of course... Pluses - simplicity of organisation and security of the route (compared to say Sth America). Minuses - there a few spectators lining the route to appreciate the antic's of the competitors, or to put them back "rubber side up", when it goes pear shaped. As we tragically saw this year, there are perils to running competition stages where there is a large populace (not to forget the tragic incidents on the liasons/roads as well).

So, for the above reason there could well be a commercial reason for arranging a "spectator viewing stage" on some days... especially if closer to a populated center. (Your comparison to the Finke is a good one).

cheers :1drink
  20. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    There is no way Australia could put together a Dakar route to rival South America.
    Not enough diversity in close proximity.
    We have some fantastic areas but even if permission was granted (unlikely), linking them up would be the hurdle, too many "authorities" to deal with.
    Some new sacred sites would suddenly emerge. :D
    PilbaraGoat, Gimme 2 and Sundowner like this.