The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but he is planning on hurting his pinky toe just before the start next year so he has a reason to drop out. In related news, Laia Sanz makes him look like a crying new born.
    Sundowner likes this.
  2. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    He IS the team :deal
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Well DAKAR 2016 is done and dusted... except for the after show "pillow talk"... :rogue

.. so let's get the the "Bivouac" vacuumed, dusted off and ready to fire for 2016 FIM Cross Country Rally season... shall we eh? :ear :deal

[​IMG]
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    DesertSurfer and athens01 like this.
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    +1

Translation of the article:

The future of Joan Barreda is, today, a mystery. Castellon Dakar left dejected and frustrated by his third failed attempt with the Honda factory team. It was the favorite all time and neither were Cyril Despres and Marc Coma, but his horse again left him lying.

The Torreblanca [resident] ended dissatisfaction with some aspects of HRC. Whereas, as has been told MARCA, it has already initiated contacts with the rival brand KTM. He did it before returning to Spain and was only a first contact, but in it, Barreda made it clear to the leaders of the Austrian squad that is more than willing to run with them and the next Dakar.

Joan has the handicap of that last summer signed his new contract with Honda that binds him to the house of the golden wing until 2018. There is even an option to extend the agreement until 2019. The Spanish is the spearhead of the project, receives a good salary and the team has done, over the years more to your liking.

But the disappointment was so great that neglect Levantine is even less willing to perceive something of money just to have a completely reliable frame, as the KTM proved. Not surprisingly carry 15 years in a row winning the test.
    Barreda also know that in the Central European firm there is a pilot who holds the title of No. 1 was not there when they lived Coma and Despres has not been so in 2016, as Price, Walkner, Meo or Quintanilla have enjoyed total freedom and the same mechanical guarantees.

The fact that Price has expired [??] on his second attempt has strengthened the position of the Australian, but KTM also takes into account other promises as Sunderland, who could not attend due to injury. His young drivers have tightened soon and that plays against Bang Bang. Honda, meanwhile, also provides a new restructuring. Nakamoto has confirmed its commitment MARK follows. "Although not win, we will continue in the Dakar," he said. HRC there is some dissatisfaction with Barreda. They believe that he could have made an extra effort to continue the race and help Gonçalves. However, these quarrels are salvageable. A possible departure of Joan force sign a top pilot.

'Vili' KTM offer:

If Barreda can enter KTM, Viladoms can go. Jordi also finished the rally very disappointed. "This Dakar has not been mine or anything, but to finish, with all that has happened to me is to feel proud," he admitted after being sick the first week and suffering several breakdowns in the second.

The Catalan, who disputed its tenth raid, has one year left on his contract with the Mattighofen factory, but its guiding been offered a position within your organization where they could test their bikes raids and work with their pilots. Igualada The teacher has exercised luxury competitors like Price and this is highly valued by them.The Vili own and let slip that his end as active driver is near. "It's certainly going to continue in KTM, but there is a proposal out there," he said.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    IF the article above is true (not just a media beat up) and IF Barreda let this out (while still under contract with HRC) that he is thinking of leaving HONDA...? is that career suicide?

Honda is not gonna be happy that he went public, and Mattighofen would seriously have to think twice about hiring him (even if they would consider his talent as a rider); because not being able to keep your mouth shut to the press at times like this, is something that the people writing the cheques are pretty adamant about.

Frankly for mine, the "Bam Bam circus" has been a bit of a trainwreck from day one, when they morphed "Speedbrain" into the HRC camp. Obvious the Spaniard's camp and Japanese have had communication/motivational/operational difficulties.

Putting the technical issues they have suffered at HRC with the 450 rally project aside (funny that Barreda seems to put all the blame on the bike?); To an outsider (and from those on the "in"side) there appears to be a big lack of cohesion or "team work" in the HRC DAKAR camp. Reports of Barreda/management screaming at mechanics in the bivouac, and general disharmony in the HONDA pit tents (at least as far as its "star" is concerned), indicate that the HRC effort is not a team all pulling in the same direction.

KTM by comparison... completely the opposite.

Do Mattighofen want (or even need?) the kind of drama the Bam Bam "me" show bring's with it? :ear
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    The Barreda question is: the problem is his bike or himself? Is he maybe asking too much to hise machine? Same question here in Italy about Bottu, many believe he is not very "tender" with his bikes ...
    too old likes this.
  9. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding where the dakar will be held next year. National papers in Argentina (I'm here at the moment) have articles written from the aso abouts supposed talks with all countries in SA and talks of lowering costs etc. Interesting considering there are no concrete plans in place yet and I'd think routes etc take some time to plan. Also sounds like the aso are going to have to appease local governments a bit next year. The ball may not be in the aso's court as much at the moment.

In the end I figure for Argentina and other countries in the SA it comes down to the math. Eg, how many people have/will travel to our countries and spend money here now and in the future? How many people on this website which follow the dakar every year have plans to visit these areas? My guess would be very few as a percentage of inmates. There's many people travelling in SA as the HU forum shows but I doubt the dakar is the driver behind it, more the sense of remote, un-touched etc. Hence the math doesn't add up. I want the dakar to stay in SA, but they have the right to dictate how it runs here in all senses, socially, financially, environmentally etc. It'll be interesting to see if and what changes happen.

I think the aso needs Chile at least on side as that makes the option of heading south from Buenos aires a viable option. Without it north/south will continue. I doubt they want to stay at altitude for 3 days again. But if so, we will hear the same speech again.
    michael1968 and too old like this.
  10. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Would they really want him? For all of the fanfare surrounding JBB (self-generated to a great degree) I had to back in the archives to review his rally career to get a feel for his accomplishments.

Besides winning the 2012 Pharaons and the 2014 Sealine, what has he won? (I'm honestly trying to remember). Look at his Dakar record: 2011 abandoned 2nd stage due to mechanical (Aprilla), 2012 he was 11th with a bunch of mechanicals, 2013 he was 17th with navigation and mechanical issues, 2014 7th and 2015 17th. We all know what happened this year. Sure he has a bunch of stage wins that they're always patting themselves on the back about, but those mean nothing if you're not standing victorious at the end of the rally. The pattern I see is a fast rider that cannot conserve his machine. As has been discussed many times before he rides on the ragged edge and leaves little to no room for recovering from errors on the piste. This obviously takes a huge toll on the bike and ultimately the psych of the rider (cracking under pressure eventually, both man and machine).

Can we blame his most recent failures on the HRC camp? While I'm sure some of the blame resides with Big Red, he did't seem to put together a successful campaign before having such a big corporate backer. My guess is that it's not the bike, it's the rider.

With the allegations of JBB's recent talk with KTM, I'm sure there are some highly educated contract lawyers at HRC that are presenting management with options on how the could terminate their "star rider" for breach of contract. Just think of what Gonk could do if he wasn't playing second fiddle to JBB.

Food for thought.

I don't think KTM would touch JBB with a 10 foot pole, much less a 30 or 40 foot pole. They have a stable of equally, if not more talented riders, that seem to work well in their team management structure.

From HRC's page (JBB's rider sheet), the opening lines paint the picture that we're still seeing today:

"Joan “Bang Bang” Barreda could well be the next “big thing” in the rally scene. The popular Spaniard started out in Motocross, but his career never really took off in a spectacular fashion although, thanks to his talent and raw speed, Barreda made it all the way into the Motocross World Championship. Yet a combination of misfortune and injuries cost him dearly. Here we are, a decade later and the 29-year-old has become a major rally force to be reckoned with."
  11. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certainly don't need him or the baggage - it could be a very one sided conversation ! :D

:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk
    beechum1 likes this.
  12. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    One factor regarding future Dakar venues that doesn't seem to have been touched on too much is the marketing opportunities for the manufacturers.

It's fairly obvious that Honda have a huge market in South America and that must factor in their future plans as a victory (if they ever manage it) would be a huge PR boost. Maybe not so much for KTM (and White KTM) but I'm not an expert in this matter. And I'm not sure what the market penetration is like for Peugot, Mini, Toyota etc? Maybe other inmates have a better idea

So does Australia for instance have the markets to make this aspect attractive to the marketing side of things?

Only 24 million "potential consumers" in the whole of Oz, compared to 52 million in Argentina and Bolivia (and another 47 million in Chile & Peru), it certain makes me think.

So where else are there emerging markets to be exploited that have the necessary terrain?*

China?
    Russia?
    India?
    South East Asia (A Jungle Dakar)?
    South Africa?
    Le Touquet Beach?

*One of these is not a serious suggestion
    tileman likes this.
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peuegot has total, which apparently is in sa in a big way. The local cops in carilio (seaside holiday town) all drive hilux's so the penetration of Toyota must be worthwhile. Mini/BMW I have no idea. Energy drink companies are running out of options in Europe etc as did cigarette companies before them so sa/Asia are a huge market. The aso is in the business of making money, they do it by running rallyraid among other things, therefore money will decide, unfortunately.

Hopefully social media will educate the aso that less control of info may in fact lead to a greater audience, hence market. Can only hope.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  14. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Barrdera is brilliant,he could end at ktm,bring big sponsorship dollars etc to team,maybe price/walkner/barrdera/sam s and another wec gun on team for 17?,the ktm rally team have used them for years...sala/johnny h/kari t and co
  15. Miguel Tavares

Miguel Tavares Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Barreda ... the problem is the pilot? The problem is the bike?
    Perhaps the problem is the organization, dubious options, choices that have been made?
    Maybe the problem is that the team has been almost entirely focused on Barreda?
    Possibly the problem may be Wolfgang Fischer ... who always had the Barreda as his protégé and always focused their decisions on it?
    They may need someone new to manage the team, someone who has a new and more global vision of the team and not only centered in Barreda.
    But really ... are only assumptions. I do not know anything about it.
    too old likes this.
  16. Miguel Tavares

Miguel Tavares Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can tell more details about the Bottu question in Italy???
  17. athens01

athens01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't follow closely enough to know who's contract is up when etc, but if Honda is serious about Dakar they should do the obvious and make a unrefusable offer to Toby. If the Price is right and all that...
  18. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:

Might explain RG's issue on the liaison.
  19. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the only thing less likely then Barreda joining KTM.
  20. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just following up on this post.

1) I forgot to make sure Idaho and even eastern WA and Oregon would both be on the plate too.

2) The way to start would be a meeting with the Western Governors Association or to champion a governor's office through their offices of economic development.

Scott / Hogwild, I've been involved with BLM issues for a while at least here in Utah and have helped organize the Rocky Mountain Rally (nothing major but at least we do it) for the last couple years.

I'm slammed this year but maybe we can touch base some time. Sending you a PM.

Thanks, Andre

DesertSurfer likes this.