The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    "A bit difficult" to follow...? :clap :rofl:nod
  2. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where art thou Messr Bam Bam
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

On october 3 he posted this:

Back to the bike![​IMG] Back to desert![​IMG] Back to game![​IMG]

So it seems he is back on the bike after some weeks recovery and re-hab after his crash and wrist injury at the Atacama rally.
  4. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    K Benavides broken femour?
  5. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente and ferals5 like this.
  6. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
  7. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Well now I'm reading it looks no fracture, let's hope these are the true good news
  9. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm praying he's ok... He's Honda's no 1 chance at Dakar!!!! Im looking forward to an epic battle between him and TP. Heal fast Big Kev!
  10. blueillusion10

blueillusion10 goodtimesgreatoddies

Oddometer:
    2EF9DEFF-8F4E-4ECB-8583-50DB7E66BD53.jpeg I ended my day yesterday riding the last 300 or so km’s in pain. Saw medical and an a couple hrs later had an X-ray and got a cast on my right hand from a French surgeon while sitting on a toilet! Not the way I was hoping to end my race...

When the SSV’s go by the visibility goes to zero. Clipped a rock and went down hard. It was Proper crash though. Visor broke off. The desert was nice enough to jam a rock in there as a souvenir.
    twinie, BLucare, WIsixfitty and 4 others like this.
  11. blueillusion10

Oddometer:
    011BDBAA-DBAB-4C1F-B8E5-0C384ED5238C.jpeg Here’s a the new colour roadbook they are using here. This is part of today’s stage.
    BLucare, Carlos M, ferals5 and 2 others like this.
  12. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    hubilado and keepshoveling like this.
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Would anyone be able to eat the crash data from the limitless days(1000cc+) vs the new shit 450s.
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    No data for you... just a "gut feeling" from a punter who has followed the sport intimately since 1985... have ridden a few of the 90's desert tankers... several of the 600 - 700cc sandsleds... and even a few of the latest generation formula 450 rally racers.

In the late 1980's early 90's the "tankers" were BIG, super heavy, cumbersome beasts - in all but the supremely talented riders hands. This meant that for the mere mortals; lot's and lots of falls/pick up in the sand/fall - repeat again situations = exhaustion. And on the occassions when one of the elite crashed at speed on one of these behemoths... it was usually a yard sale.

Late 90's and the BMW 900RR and LC8 950 Rallye pushed the envelope even further... the FIM stepped in and limited the Rally category to 700cc...

Led by a spearhead of KTM and the LC4 620/640/660 powered Rallye models, the bikes bcame marginally lighter, slightly less top speed... but the "better" handling characteristics and wider availability of suitable machinery, saw the average speed envelope increase... the amatuers still toppled over semi-frequently and got (slightly) less tired - now having to pick up the slightly lighter 700cc "sleds"... but up the front, the 700cc factory bikes (which still topped 180 km/h in off piste running) claimed a few well publicized and famous scalps.

The FIM stepped in a second time, and introduced the 450cc limit. The reasoning was threefold... 1. less horsepower meant less speed and 2. less fuel (consumption) = lighter weight. 3. The fact that there were six or seven manufacturers that had 450cc "enduro/motocross" platforms on which to base "rallye kit" models - it was deemed that it would bolster the sport and attract more manufacturers.

The formula 450's definitely were lighter... and if it was true that they dropped 10 to 15 km/h top speed from the previous generation 700's (initially)... althought it was only a season or two, and the "factory" 450's were going almost as fast at top notch as the older big bores... and the "average speeds" were noticebly higher - due to the lighter/better handling motorcycles.

With more brands, and a "new breed" of rally rider (racers) on the factory team rosters - the average pace in the top 20 of recent years (I would say since about 2012/13) has definitely increased over what it was in the past

With more competitive riders on more machines - all pretty close in realation to performance, on stages and terrain that dictate a more "full attack approach" than that of, say a decade ago... The pro's are now forced to "push" the envelope MORE often and for longer... and this is where I believe the recent increase in injury statistics amongst the "elite" racers has stemmed from.

For the "mere mortals" - I am pretty sure that the 450's represent a much more forgiving "safer" and less tring mount, than having to punt around the huge twins, or even big 600cc single desert sleds of years gone by.
    ssason, bend27, twinie and 5 others like this.
  15. Tomaz

Tomaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday's general classification[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk
  16. pierrejaune

pierrejaune superannuated

Oddometer:
  17. blueillusion10

Oddometer:
    Just had aconversation with a ktm mechanic. Sam had a mousse failure. Tire came off once or twice. He stopped to put it back on. Finished the stage riding on flat essentially.
    twinie likes this.
  18. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    ABout Ktm tires... is it true the RR Replica mounts a 130 on the rear wheel instead of the more common 140?

A guy in my town has one and had to order a rear tire directly to Ktm as that 130 is not commonly available anywhere
  19. rubbercow80

rubbercow80 Confused & Disorientated

Oddometer:
    Heal quickly my friend. The Aussie from the Bivouac. Hope your mates have a great day today.

Attached Files:

20. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a tad bit of understatement!

Screenshot_2018-10-08 CLASGENERAL_1 pdf.png

[​IMG]