The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't let the Adelaiders and New Melbourners have all the fun!
    I'm in for 6, too. :D
  2. Tomaz

Tomaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't let the Aussies have all the fun
    I'm in!

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    6 weeks until Dakar

:lurk
    Dread Pendragon likes this.
  4. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ted, I want to go to Peru.:lol3
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    2019 Dakar Rally Schedule
    Date Stage Place
    6 January Starting ramp Lima
    7 January Stage 1 Lima – Pisco
    8 January Stage 2 Pisco – San Juan de Marcona
    9 January Stage 3 San Juan de Marcona – Arequipa
    10 January Stage 4 Arequipa – Moquegua
    11 January Stage 5 Moquegua – Arequipa
    12 January Rest Day Arequipa
    13 January Stage 6 Arequipa – San Juan de Marcona
    14 January Stage 7 San Juan de Marcona – San Juan de Marcona
    15 January Stage 8 San Juan de Marcona – Pisco
    16 January Stage 9 Pisco – Pisco
    17 January Stage 10 Pisco – Lima
    Dread Pendragon likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    That canadian calender of your's ted...? :scratch :dunnoit must be decimal... or sometning...? :rofl but it ain't right... :fpalm :lol3
    garfey and swimmer like this.
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    This one is going to be interesting, shorter and 100% in Peru.

Gianna is expecting it to be very hard.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Brodomath :deal

Canada's weed legalization has been hard on the brain I guess :hide
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    in for six tix
  11. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "new rules mean that competitors who suffer a mechanical breakdown or accident in the opening week that could lead to withdrawal will be able to rejoin the rally from the rest day on."

Finisher Medal have a different meaning now?
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lot of changes this year, now that Coma is gone is turning into Dakar beige?
    ferals5 and troy safari carpente like this.
  13. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah well you know.
    Can’t have someone start and not get an earned medal.
    That would like, make sense.
    Uggg, the hardest race in the world is now reduced to everyone gets a trophy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Do they still get the medal?
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Not sure whether the "first week DNF's" that continue week two... get the "finishers medal" or not... but one thing I would be vehemently against - is that they get to stand atop the finisher podium when they cross the line in Lima.

THAT privelige SHOULD be only for those that have achieved a DAKAR finish - i.e. completed the entire journey start to end.

In my mind, the ASO lost a bag of credibility this year (the 2018 event) when they did not afford that opportunity to all those (privateers and backmarkers etc.) that finished... yet only the "stars" got to pass across the finish archway. That was a slap in the face to many... competitors and fans alike.
    homerj, BucketHead, twinie and 4 others like this.
  16. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt those who DNF a stage will get a finisher medal, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm more interested how this rule will be implemented.
    It's not the same taking the chicken run at the beginning of a 1000km marathon stage and genuinely missing the start of the next stage because you've slept in the dunes that night.
    ASO has usually been lenient towards snowballed bikers coming in late, and finishing the race 100h (and many missed WPs) behind the winner.
    It's a bit prickly to distinguish between such a finish and a (hypothetical) one where someone had one faux pas on an otherwise solid run.

I would draw the line for this rule with Factory teams. They do not get a second chance.
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Precisely - that's the inequity of the whole idea of allowing competitors who have DNF'd one - or several - legs in week one - in continuing on the swcond week - after the rest day.

In principle - once upon a time - you finished (the entire itinerary of the DAKAR)... or you didn't.

Now it will be a mish mash of a heap of different parameters (all the days are not same length or difficulty - how does the formula account for that?)

I agree with Balkan 100% - that in the past the "leniency" to the snowballed riders - who sleep in the dunes, then make it to the next bivouac start (by any means possible) in time to take the start of the next leg - prior to the last running competitors departure... Yeah sure, there was some "stretching" of the rules from time to time (especially right at the back of the pack)... but that is okay - they are the privateers - battling the elements and often had so many WP/time penalties accrued - it didn't really matter... the goal was merely to finish the entire itinerary - or as close to it as physically possible - under the circumstance.

But as it seems now; withthis latest "rule change" - it will allow a competitor who DNF's on - for example - stage 3... to then have the remaining legs until the rest day "off", and then re-start after the rest day for "week two"...? Having "missed" anywhere up to maybe a third of the rally?

Just seems to me to "diminish" the achievement... sure, to make a DAKAR attempt is expensive - and to go out early is a big financial, emotional and sporting blow... but that's the way DAKAR has Always been - that's part of the "tightrope" that made it so tough... and therefore an achievement.

There are plent of rallies that allow competitors to continue, after failing a leg... in order to recoup some of their "losses" and get value for their start money. But DAKAR never was - and that's what made it the "pinnacle of achievement".

oh well... :1drink
    twinie and rides2little like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I’m with you guys on this judgement. If you want to have a “finish” under any circumstances do another rally. Mongolia was like that and sure, it’s all about fun amd getting to the end. But that’s part of why it’s not on the pro calendar etc. Anyone who decides to enter the Dakar should know that it’s the pointiest end of the game where the consequences are bigger.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Can't argue with any of that Troy and Skibum - Dakar was always meant to be different [to other World Championship style events] - and foremost an endurance event where you fundamentally had to manage your own and vehicle's attrition from beginning to end...

However, this year particularly I imagine they have struggled to fill the entries with Privateers in the same way as recent years - so perhaps this is seen as some of carrot to entice those on the fence off it? - and not least so there is a decent field* at the end for the spectators...

*Does anyone know how many bike entries have been proffered and accepted for 2019? - my bet is it's not much more than 100.

I have to say, personally I'm not excited by this upcoming edition at all - it appears to be just another WC style round back and forth over the Peruvian dunes, almost certainly retracing some of the previous days/stages tracks on the return legs too.

All I can hope for is that someone behind the scenes is working hard on a completely new destination for 2020.

France, Algeria, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal anyone?

Jx
    Deadly99 and choutos like this.
  20. JDH5

JDH5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Asking out of ignorance, but could it be done in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Sanora, Baja?