The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  2. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooh la la ...
    Roadbook given 20min before the start.
    This is how you "slow down" a rally, Kinigardner.
    Very interesting development.

Rally du Maroc always punishes a few riders. Sunderland and Walkner injured.
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Hold my beer...here comes TP...
    :lurk
    Weldr likes this.
  4. pierrejaune

pierrejaune superannuated

Oddometer:
    From 'Rallye du Maroc' website;
    https://registrorm.odcevents.com/live/lvn.asp

09/10/2019 13:15:40
    FINISH BIKE
    Andrew Short wins 2019 Rallye du Maroc! The American rider takes his first ever F.I.M. World Championship Rally after an epic battle with P. Quintanilla over the last special!
  5. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Great win!

TP with another stage win but I think he fell short by a handful of sec to grab a podium from bam bam
  6. JDH5

JDH5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who's on the final podium?
  7. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short
    Quintanill
    Barreda
  8. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:

Fabulous to see Andrew Short grabbing the Overall! Given his credentials he entered this sport with a very low profile and a learning attitude, it is really a pleasure to see someone like that finally achieving it. :clap :clap :clap
  9. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Reallly happy to see Shorty on top step of the podium. Hopefully he repeats in January
  10. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there was a nav/roadbook SNAFU from the KTM crew on the final stage in Maroc. Bummed for TP after such a strong start but well done to Shorty & Pablo.
  11. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    gagnaou likes this.
  12. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ricky in 5th!

Well it's on to Dakar and Saudi Arabia!
  13. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Shorty also was second overall for year end points in the FIM cross country championship.
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    That was on S4 they lost around 8min.
    Final stage TP ran wide on a corner and had a fall and lost the 7-8 sec needed to knock JBB off the podium.
    Good to see JBB get the Honda home. :D Well done team husky. :clap
    cheekorollo and DruncleWill like this.
  16. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, F5. It’s been a tough rally to follow on line. I’ve even resorted to the evil Insta for updates. All bodes well for an entertaining Dakar next year.
    ferals5 and DruncleWill like this.
  17. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    well well well... you think you have seen all the craziest riders around doing the craziest things, but .... doing the Rally du Maroc with this old girl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it looks he even broke a collarbone just 3 km from the finish!

there's a video on Rally du Maroc FB page ;)

Hats off Greg Gilson!
  18. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Awesome result for Shorty!

I wish more big time mx-ers etc would take up this discipline after their big time racing ended. I'm sure the lack of pay has something to do with it.

I hope shorty gets a nice bonus and a raise.
    DesertSurfer and keepshoveling like this.
  19. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is so cool. It was fun following from Andrew's posts on social. Dropping them the roadbooks 20 minutes before the event is leveling the field I think.
    City Gone Bad and RenoMoto like this.
  20. SandRocks

SandRocks excusethenoob

Oddometer:
    Hello all;

I do a short write up of my participation in the 2019 Rally Du Maroc, I raced in the SSV category and not the bikes, and I know its a bike forum but you guys seem not to mind.

From Start;
    This was my second participation in the Rally Du Maroc, last year me and my navigator/tire changer/ weight ballast Manual Lucchese (Shoestring) finished 5th in the category. So were pumped to see that we were given race number 201 for this year. We arrived with the same exact car as last year, and were surprised how much the category has progressed and to see how everyone upped their game with there car prep and support.
    On our philosophy of minimum budget (not by choice) we arrived with a stock car and 9 spare tires, the only change to the car was to install a rugged radios intercom instead of the useless stilo one we had last year.
    Stage 1:
    Lots of mountain crossings and oueds, super rocky and atleast I am super rusty. We start second to Casey Currey and within 80kms we get a puncture, fantastic. Then fell in a unmarked ditch, very lucky not to get hurt. Broke the driver tierod and bent the chassis a few inches. Spent an hour fixing it, drove on. another puncture. All in all finished 16th after starting 2nd.

Stage 2:
    Classic Maroc stage, LOTS of dunes, 3 different ergs. We like this, we did well. Finished 5th in the stage moving to 6th overall. Suffered one puncture. This stage we started before the cars, the speed difference is amazing, Nasser passed us at refuel km 80, the amount of dust kicked off turned day into night.

Stage 3:
    Catastrophe.
    Start time is 11:18, two stages with a neutralization in the middle. I hate late starts. We set off we get lost for a while at km 20, and another puncture at km 140. We are already the last car on piste. The car falls of the jack while changing the tire, lost in total about another 20mins. We set off, two km later the spare tire tie downs come loose, we stop again for 3 mins.
    We start the second stage at about 3pm. 10 km in the stage we face small dunes. We find an SSV stuck with the driver pointing in a direction different then that of the gps arrow. I decide to ignore the instructions, BIG MISTAKE. Crossed over the crest of the dune to find a car stuck with the co-driver digging underneath. I slam on the brakes, hit the reverse and try to climb back up, managed to climb a couple of meters and got stuck just behind the crest. Now I have the SSV driver shouting at me and saying I am trying to kill someone, I admit that I made a mistake. On me, and now we pay the price. First we try to give the two Morrocan ladies stuck at the bottom of the dunes a hand,takes about 30 mins but we manage to get them out. They are driving a T2 but pretty beaten up car, so they can't come back to pull us. They do come to help, but my car is properly stuck. Then they see another Toyota landcruiser 100 driven by Enrique Martinez and his daughter Sophia, they might as well be the nicest poeple on earth. They signal him and he comes, but gets stuck on his approach. After 20 mins of pulling and pushing hes free and comes and tugs our car out. We prepare to leave but see him get stuck again trying to approach the other SSV, we stay to assist and free Enrique and in the end as a gesture of good will we push the other SSV out too. All are free now, but we decide to headback to the bivi missing 25 waypoints and incurring a 23 hour penalty, poduim chances are gone.

Stage 4:
    By now I have got my rythem back and Manuel is being his brilliant navigator self. We start and quickly start catching and passing cars. Crazy trial sections, climbs and descents. We are flat out without a care in the world. I hear the sentinal at about KM 90 in the trial section, sorry Nasser I can't move over. I look in the mirrors and its not Nasser its a MINI, I move over in about 300meters when I got a chance. I drive another 0.5Km and hear the sentinal again. Its another Mini, Sainz. We leave the trial section and we catch the rally hero Greg Gilson and his 125 honda. At the same time Nasser Catches and passes us. We are driving like maniacs at this points and loving every second. The stage was piste, dunes, trial, and repeat. We probably repeated this combo 3 times for a total of 311kms. What an amazing Stage.

We found Nasser Broke down on piste, on the top of oued with a dune at the top. The dune was littered with huge boulders. I think he hit one of the boulders. Tenbrinke had his tow rope out and was towing him out of the boulder field. Apperantly Gineal stopped to help also, but the damage was done. We got lost before the last refuel following some bikers and a few quads. Manuel realized this pretty early on and told me to turn around. I look up and see a Toyota coming at full speed, I think it was Tenbrinke. It was funny/scary to see the bikers scatter right and left as the Toyota was coming at full pelt. I quickly turned around and followed the Toyota to the last waypoint where we all turned around and head back up in the correct direction.

At the last refuel we were faced by a strange situation. A Toyota came and stopped at the refuel and started horning at us ( 3/4 SSV's and another 3/4 bikers) with them saying look at us. It was non other than Alonso and Coma. OK. I arrived first to the refuel then another Portogues SSV and then Alonso. At this point we have a 15 minute neutralization which includes the Toyota of Alonso. As my neutralization ended I kept inching up to the control boards, only to see a Alonso race me to the boards and blocking the road. Strange. The other SSV came up only to face an agressive Alonso accelerating violently and still blocking the road. I understood that Alonso wanted to leave the neutralization first and we obliged because I would rather wait an extra 20 seconds in the neutralization than be overtaken on piste further risking my race. BUT the other SSV wasn't having it, only to have Alonso launch like a bat out of hell and turning to throw rocks at him.
    I grew up watching Alonso race and was a big fan, but I was shocked with the poor sportsmanship and the huge ego. As I said I was in Peterhansels way earlier and he was nothing but cordial. Nasser always passed down wind to not throw dust at the other car/bike. Alonso actually expected other RACERS to wait 30 seconds for him so he can leave the neutralization first. I see alot of media coverage for Alonso, which is understandable. But the guy has no Rally spirit at all. In rallies everyone takes care of the other because it can be just as easily be you that is hurt/stuck/broken down. I hope as the big names come the feeling of brotherhood and spirit wont be lost.

50 Km before the stage end we pass a Mini that is hiding behind a side of a cliff, I beep my horn and I get two thumbs up, it was Stephan and his wife Andrea. Apprerantly they tried to go around a sandy oued until they fell off a cliff back into oued, destroying completly the left hand side of the car.

In the end we finish 2nd in our Category on the stage, a job well done.

Stage 5 was pretty much uneventful, LOTS of rocks and climbs, no dunes or sand. Some WRC type terrain. The most interesting thing was that we found a door of one of the South racing CanAms in the trees, and a tire a couple of hundred meters down the road. Finished the Stage in 5th.

Overall we finished 12th. Sad about the final result but proud of our pace. Hopefully we can keep this pace up.

Anyways sorry for the poorly written long post, feels like I was rambling.
    Meoni, sick_boy, AJRJ and 28 others like this.