The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool
  2. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    ferals5, garfey and godwinmt like this.
  3. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    barakamonk likes this.
  4. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Repost from Poskitt and @FIMBajasAndRallies on Facebook.
    Thoughts?

Technical and Safety improvements for 2021 on FIM Cross Country Rallies Championship & World Cups and Dakar Rally

Following the decisions taken during the last meeting held in Lisbon on 3 March, with the Cross-Country Rally teams, A.S.O. and the FIM and taking in consideration the difficult situation for the technical development and testing of the motorcycles in Cross-Country Rally, the FIM can announce the sporting rules and safety measures that will apply in the FIM Cross-Country Rally World Championship and Dakar in the RallyGP class for 2021.

The measures that will be applicable for the 2021 Dakar and the 2021 FIM Cross-Country World Championship are:
    • Limitation of the number of rear tyres to 6 for the 12 stages (30 min penalties for non-compliance). For shorter rallies: 1 tyre for 2 Days of racing. For example, a rally consisting of 1 Prologue and 5 days, the limitation will be 3 tyres.
    • Single brand and model of rear tyre for the entire rally (1 hour penalty for non-compliance)
    • Possibility to change only one piston during the entire rally (10 min penalties for non-compliance)
    • No intervention on the motorcycle allowed during refuelling (only the road book dispenser can be opened to change the road book if necessary).
    • Sound alert on danger 2 and 3 (will be tested in Rally Morocco in 2020) using the sentinel.
    • Wearing of an Air Bag Vest equipped with passive safety paddings is mandatory.
    • Work on the itinerary: search for the slowest possible route, setting up slow zones if the ground is poor and fast especially in the HP zones, more WPs on the risk points.
    • First aid training certificate compulsory for all motorcycle riders.
    Moreover, the following safety measures will also apply in 2021 for Elite riders (RallyGP Riders):
    • Navigation tower protected by foam for Elite riders (RallyGP Riders), especially the road book reader, best practice in order to reduce impact to the rider.
    • Detachable front windscreen, in case of impact by the rider (mandatory for Elite riders (RallyGP Riders) in 2021 Dakar rules).

No engine power reduction with air-intake restrictors that require an ECU re-setting will be done for the 2021 season. Engine development will be done until the end of 2021 for the reduction of the power of the machines.

Electronic road book will be tested in 2021 and should be implemented in 2022.

All these measures taken alone may seem minimal, but when taken together they can significantly reduce the speed and increase the safety of the riders.
  6. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    For the most part I like it. It brings back the variable of preserving the equipment that has been somewhat muted in the formula 450 era. Sure mechanical has still cost elite riders (Brabec) but just getting a bike to the finish was a major obstacle in the first couple decades, this might bring that strategic element back to a more prominent role.
  7. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    They should make them compete via a video game from home.
    That's pretty safe.

Where has this come notion that riders trash their bike and tires every day come from?
    And that must be what makes them go fast ...
    wrk2surf likes this.
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Oh damn, I wasn’t even thinking of it from a safety point. I think it’ll just make the rallly way more interesting, with the more stragery needed to get to the finish.

can you cover The penalty of a fresh tire if your competitor is on a day 2 tire, that sort of thing.
    DruncleWill likes this.
  9. Sam Hayes

Sam Hayes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VDG and chasbo like this.
  10. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I’m glad they’re keeping those rules about airbags etc to the RallyGP class. I’d love to compete at a legit rally someday. Some of those rules add a LOT to the cost. I’d like to see more and more privateers and rookies entering Rally. Scaring them away with a high entry cost won’t help grow the sport.
  11. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    The airbag vest is for ALL competitors. The elite pilots get an additional chopped up foam noodle on their cockpit and a fairing that'll be loosely fitted.
    As you mention, the professional races are getting more and more expensive every year. Next to impossible for an average-Joe to keep up financially...

I'm surprised to hear that there won't be a digital roadbook in use this year as it was announced in April. ERTF is a bit slow in their development it seems. Instead, the paper roadbook will be handed out DAILY just before the start, not just on a few selected stages.
  12. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    That sucks. My dreams of riding in a proper rally are quickly running away from me.

I entered, and won the overall, at the Dacre Rally here in Ontario, Canada last year. I DNF’d in 2016 and 2018.
    22.5 hours nearly nonstop on a 250 two stroke bike.
    I think I have what it takes to complete a proper rally. I may end up last. But I think I can complete it.
    I’d like to see rules that encourage safe elite racing but also open doors for those of us who just want to taste what it’s like to push at an event of that level.
  13. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am waiting to see what kind of off-road airbag vests the manufacturers come out with. Going to certainly screw up our current jersey/jacket/armor configuration!

Yep, getting more and more expensive. You can always opt to do a turn key setup with a team- full rental bike and support. I've done that a few times now and for me it works out the best. Logistics of shipping a bike over and making sure it meets tech inspection is challenging so better to leave it up to the pros.

The Dakar budget realistically is near $100k when you consider everything. Not a cheap venture.
    BLucare likes this.
  14. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick, check out the Rally Mongolia. I rode it in 2010 and it was cheap by comparison to many. I was able to rent a bike to ride then too. The guy I rented from has since passed away so I don't know who is there now. Lawrence Hacking has ridden it 2 or 3 times too.

I can see the air vests as being a big step up for protecting riders.
    RenoMoto and CDN Rick like this.
  16. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick, you should enter the SOnora rally next year and enter the road to Dakar category and win your entry fee to the rally that way... I know that it is not all the money but it adds up. If you have that in your back pocket, then it is easier to go to sponsors and make things happen
    El Justo and CDN Rick like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Or the Baja rally in the fall. Both that and Sonora are very good rallies. Sonora spring, Baja fall.
    garfey and CDN Rick like this.
  19. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Sonora 2022 is my penciled in goal right now. I’m 30 years old and started Dualsport at 25 years old. I started offroad at 27 years old. Dakar is cool and all, but it isn’t a goal for me. I just want to have fun.

In three years I’ve been extremely blessed to pick up some great tips from great riders, and put some good hours in on my bikes.
    I’m currently racing Enduro at the expert level and riding trials at the intermediate level.

Rally is where my heart is though. I love the technical aspect of it. The thinking and strategy is what gets me.

As of this winter I’ve signed to ride for Beta Canada as an Ambassador for their brand. And have 5 other minor sponsors helping me out. My wife rides as well and is extremely supportive of my hobby.

I’ll touch base with Lawrence Hacking for some advice. I don’t know him well personally, but we have many mutual friends. For now I’m just enjoying life, enjoying bikes, and enjoying learning as I go.
    keepshoveling, ferals5, rkdwp and 3 others like this.
  20. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is an airbag ever going to work in an offroad environment. One low speed tip over in the sand and it deploys and is done for the event?