The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, basically an enduro...
    It'd be fun to see this bike next to a the old beasts.
    Played a bit in photoshop, they've done an amazing job in the cockpit to keep the light so close to the bike compared with the previous version.

Luciano Benavides - Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Racing.jpg
    josip01, Steinarsv and BLucare like this.
  2. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Honestly, the burning question in my mind is can I buy those gas tanks and the skid plate? I bet I could get them to fit my FX450...and that beats building a 690 into a rally replica bike, swapping a 450 engine, etc.
    BLucare likes this.
  3. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    I remember your post, and I remember most of us saying "no, no way! I'll believe it when I see it!" :lol3
    hubilado and LocuL like this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I think the colours and line of the Husqvarna look better... :hide
    Gian and Ruffus like this.
  5. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be able to buy them sometime next year, close to summer most probably, but you'd need some serious work to make the bike like that.
    Brackets, air filter, exhaust, seat, skid plate will not be a direct fit and you'd need to modify it for sure (bike has completely different caster). On back to back comparisons it's a major work, but for sure with effort it can be done.
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Well... they pulled the wrappers off a year early... :1drink

It is still a valid question/observation... the new bike is a radical departure from the "trellis chassis" based plaftorm(s) that KTM have used ever since the 690 Rallye was introduced way back in 2007.

There is no doubt that this latest evolution of the 450 Rally is the most compact and nimble looking rally bike that Mattighofen has ever come up with... the similarities to its SXF and EXC cousins more than ever before.
    BLucare and 640 Armageddon like this.
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing drastically reduced fuel range requirements helped slim the bike down quite a bit.
    640 Armageddon and BLucare like this.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Checked my messenger texts.. heres my HRC JCR engineer info from the spring. It was during a conversation about KB leaving Honda in April. I had said he would probably be on Gas Gas or Husky.. His answer was.

"He is on KTM. Rumor is KTM is developing a new conventional frame. But he isn’t good development rider [​IMG] KTM has 5 riders so someone will be gone. Maybe walkner ? I want to visit for fire wood. My elbow is getting bad again so no riding."

I wish I could post everything he tells me but then he wouldn't tell me !
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The FIM minimum fuel autonomy range for CCR moto's is (still?) set at 250 km (+10% margin) I understand.
  10. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    So after the 22 Dakar the agreement to stay exclusively in S/A is up correct ? I sure would like to see more country crossing..
  11. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile the USA hopes for another top American Rally racer just started heating up. Mason Klein from the Prologue in Morocco today.

Mason Klein.jpg
  12. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't it a five year deal?
    In any case, adjoining countries are Jordan, Yemen, Oman and UAE. Pick one without a war zone or political conflict. Similar geography as well.

I can assure you that there is nothing glamorous about border procedures and getting you passport stamped.
    Over here you can't drive more than 200km without that privilege. :puke1
    wrk2surf likes this.
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Regarding the 2022 edition; David Castera pointed out that "it will be an edition with a taste of sand, taste of dunes and wide open spaces".

“Ha’il will be the start city of this 2022 edition, where all the technical and administrative scrutineering will take place as well as the shakedown,” Castera said. Prologue on (Jan.) 1st, and the real start of this Dakar will be on the 2nd of January in the morning and will head south towards the Empty Quarter. "We’ll have three stages with 100 percent sand and dunes, including a marathon stage in the middle of the dunes, like in the good old days...”

I recall from the ASO press release conference back in late 2019, when it was first announced that the DAKAR was going to SAUDI. Castera made mention of the possibility in future that the event could expand to encompass other neighboring countries in the region. U.A.E., Oman and Yemen were all mentioned. However in order to do so, the logistics of conducting the rally in the "empty quarter" in order for the rally route to cross the vast desert expanse to the U.A.E. would have to be investigated. So for 2020, 2021 and 2022 the rally would be solely hosted within Saudi territory.

It seems that this year the course will enter the "empty quarter" for real (only skirted the edge last year)... and this could pave the way for things in 2023 and beyond?
    wrk2surf and 640 Armageddon like this.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Aye, I was thinking the same... poor old Yamaha eh - always ahead of the game, but never with quite the budget (or riders)... poor Helder!

[​IMG]

In fact now all KTM need to do is drop the hooge tower front end*, and the transformation would be complete...

Then paint 'em in blue and red too and the field would be 100% Mattighofen.

Muwhahahahahahaha-tighofen!

Jenny x

*and that could well happen in the next couple of years with the introduction of electronic/tablet based road-book holders, and if Iritrack finally make something 21st century sized.
    BLucare and 640 Armageddon like this.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Equally though, there's likely to be complete RFRs (either new, or secondhand after this coming Dakar) going round anyway - just as there are an increasing number of 450RFRs available each year these days, if that is really what you want. As Armageddon suggests - while superficially similar perhaps, I'm sure trying to convert a production enduro/mx chassis with the new RFR parts is going to be more of a headache than it's worth.

Jx
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :photog:raabia ... says the sheila who was involved with the project that decided to take a production 690 Adventure... sleeve it down and make a heavier, yet less powerful 450cc rally bike of it...? :smooch :lol3 :hide

One thing is certain in life... as long as their are motorcycles... there will be visionaries who dream to build their own version of the unicorn... :clap :norton

I say let them dream... let them build... some of their "visions" make for an interesting diversion from the ever increasing numbers of MattigHusKTMgasvarnahofen bikes that fill the feild - the unobtanium factory exotica that the elite riders pilot... that is until the hand-me-downs start getting dealt out to the second tier.

Some of the "home builds" that were based of production enduro models - when the formula 450 class was first introduced some ten years ago... were the most intriguing bikes at parc ferme. :1drink

remember these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gearheadE30 and BLucare like this.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm with you there Troy - I love kit bikes myself (as you know, I've had a JVO WR, and had the Africa Queens kit on my original XR650R too), simply that if Gearhead was hoping to build something which looks like the new RFR out of a current enduro platform, they might be frustrated and indeed disappointed with the result?

Of course it's also quite possible that someone will take a mould and modify the new RFR style tanks to fit the existing KTM enduro/mx chassis (much as those companies have done to fit more contemporary style RFR tanks and fairings to the 690/701 platform), and that would be a great option for the privateer (or indeed adventure rider who's simply looking for more range) - I was only suggesting that a direct swap is unlikely, and that you'd also need to have the requisite machine/fabrication tools & experience at your disposal to do a decent job.

Jx
    ferals5, gearheadE30, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love to see the mud factory design, earlier posted (around dakar 2021, in video) and the new one, if they compare?
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Well...the 2021 Rallye du Maroc gets underway today... so I kicked a good old style F5 Rally Coverage thread in the guts and stickied it at the top of the RACING page... I thought you poor fat F5-ing bastards need to get off the COVID-couch and get some practice in for January. :lol3:D

So we can turn all of the Marrocko rally discussion over to the designated thread for the duration of the race... and keep the bivouac thread here for general rally information and banter. :1drink

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021...rroco-rallye-f5-race-coverage-thread.1522761/