The F5 Bivouac (general rallye raid news)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Whatchya' mean Dimi...? :scratch :ear
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Laia's FB page:

The time has come to make a change for the next Dakar rally. It was never going to be an easy decision and I will miss taking part in the event with a bike, but I think it's the right moment. I feel very proud of the results we achieved, much more than I could have imagined when I entered my first Dakar and completing it was a dream in itself. If I had been told I would finish it 9th once and many times inside the top 15, I would have thought it was a joke. I finish this part of my career with the feeling of having always given it my best. The past two years, I even raced without the proper preparation the Dakar rally needs. It was a very beautiful stage of my career where I enjoyed having many great team mates and being part of a great team for the past 6 years. Now a new stage is opening and it is one I face with great excitement. I hope I can give you more news soon. Thank you to GASGAS, the whole group and all the sponsors, especially KH7 Sport, who have been with me since the first year (2011) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Laia is a true champion... great rider... lovely persona... loyal to her sponsors... a credit to the sport. I hope that she goes on to great things in the auto category.
  5. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone here likes and appreciates Laia on many levels, but one thing is seldom mentioned:
    She has competed in a serious format directly against male, high-profile competitors, has taken many scalps along the way and produced results few people can match. She never had special dispensations or handicaps on account of her sex.
    I don't know of any other example of such success in any sporting format. Ever.
    There are a few elite female athletes who are exceptional (Marit Bjørgen for example), but if matched with same calibre male athletes in male format event, they would only be mentioned as "also ran ..".

This was published a few months ago in case some have missed it:
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I would add Jutta Kleinschmidt, Tina Thörner (DAKAR), Michelle Mouton (Rally World Champion), Sabine Schmidt (Nurburgring and endurance circuit racing) amd Molly Taylor (Autralian Rally champion/WRC competitor) to that list as well... There are some notable women drivers in the US in NASCAR, Indy-Car and Drag Racing also over the years.

Motorsport is the one true (non-sexist) sporting discipline - where male and female compete - without time handicaps or physical concessions... only perception.

These sporting champions should all be recognized for their achievements, regardless of chromosome type.
  7. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Laia & Gerini!:freaky
    https://www.gazzetta.it/automobilis...itTXla8nodRbbKHTtahftGcbcygSmrrjJhju2kLjLeRNw
    keepshoveling and 640 Armageddon like this.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    His younger brother Carter winning a Desert race here in the states at the same time. I smell an American brother team in a few years.
    carter klein.jpg

Mark Kariya photo
  9. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently dicing with Bradley Cox, Alfie Cox's son in Morocco. Both doing well.
  10. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  11. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    My question for the collective with Morocco all buttoned up -
    Having seen the new KTM and having seen Matthias Walkner win the championship while riding the tried and true old trellis frame...
    Are we going to see an old chassis of each color on each team or will they all run with the new enduro like set up?
  12. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    While it's all interpretation from a far, far distance on our part ...

M.Walkner did get a better result on an old bike, but I would say that's probably due to his steady, methodical, Slowly, slowly catchy monkey approach.
    T.Price was in contention until he made a nav. error in the sand-storm. Perhaps he's a bit off his rally navigation form due to long breaks between races.
    S.Sunderland got the flux. [Interestingly, he says that they controlled the food, water, hygiene etc. Force majeure in his case] Before then, he was playing his usual long game, and wasn't out of contention at all.
    K.Benavides got a good result and seemed more consistent than he usually was on a Honda.
    L. Benavides didn't get much media exposure, but the result speaks for itself.
    D. Sanders very nearly won despite the injury. He lost it by a couple of minutes on the last stage.

As always in the Rally-Raid, human factor played a major part.
    All new bikes performed well judging by results.
    My guess is that KTM moved to a new platform to catch up with HRC bike, which in the past few years has been faster, and in some ephemeral way, better.
    It would have been too much (and poor tactics even if possible) if the new bike had dominated from the gate.

What's interesting to me is that P.Quintanilla [who is reported to be "not a good development rider"] got on a new bike and produced one of his best results. That HRC bike is finally mature enough that in the famous words of Mr. Soichiro Honda "you just need to plug in the rider".
  13. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Sanders was on "old" 450 RR too, I guess they'd need some more adjustment on the new platform

Fantic talking, I saw an interview with Picco yesterday. It looks they are doing their own fairing/tanks,
    alu made for the testing time to make them in plastic when definitive. The intention is to make a little production bike
    in the future! I'm really curious now :)
  14. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    Good summary of how KTM have got on with a mix of new and old bikes.
    Although as for PQ not being a good development rider but getting a good result, there is a difference between developing a new bike from the ground up and "just" riding one.
  15. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  16. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    so they fitted all the necessary fuel (30lt? can't remember how much is on the "old" model) in the front tanks?
  17. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    That is one sexy bike right there.:rilla
  18. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Big problems at the Rally, first SS stopped for fog and the second stopped from the Rangers, it looks there are missing permits :eekers
    Briefing tomorrow at... 12!
    wrk2surf and keepshoveling like this.
  19. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Hispania Rally standings after prologue and day 1 "half" special stages

[​IMG]
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    so here it is the beast, photos taken by myself and approved by Picco:deal

started with Ohlins forks the reverted to the original ones