The F800 ST ---- The Storm Trooper Bike Build

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Oh man, this is gonna be so cool! I'm definitely subscribed to this one! :tb
  3. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Can't wait to see more, this already looks great!

I can't wait to see what you do with that headlight... I'm tempted to try the same myself after you pave the way! :lol3
  4. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Epic rebuild! Can't wait to see what comes of this!
  5. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

I bet this will turn out to be the best Zombie Apocalypse survival bike ever!

:freaky
  6. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    :clap I so want one of those 8" lights

Think it may look out of place on a guzzi v50 tho :lol3

I read through your other thread not long after i'd fitted a f800 low fender to my f650 dakar, talk about butt clenching :eek1 Glad you came out of that almost unscathed.

Can't wait to see wht the bike look like when it's done
  7. angellr

angellr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in as well! Should be quite interesting to see how this one turns out ... love that tank/light combo so far.

-Bob-
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Lithium batteries are so light, it may not matter, but I have wondered if they would fit behind the cylinders where the charcoal canister resides. There are some threaded holes for a tray. Heat is not supposed to hurt them.

I know you are thinking single rotor and have questions about the master cylinder. You might take a look at the caliper for one of the 800 street models. 4 piston brakes vs 2 might give you plenty of stopping power. The mounting flanges are different but the mounting holes are close.

For as heavy as this bike is, there is not a lot to strip off that weighs that much. A rotor. a caliper, narrow lightweight rims, battery replacement. The plastic is lightweight. I figured at about $100 per lb.

Looking forward to the project.
  9. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    One thought on your gas dispensing idea (which I like)...Are you locking yourself into always having a high CG when the aux tank has more fuel than what's below? You will need to use your reg tank's fuel to make room for the aux fuel. Worst case...right before you transfer fuel...your CG will feel very high. Is there any way to draw from the aux tank first is where I'm heading with this?

Or did I miss something?
  10. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Color? Are you going with white again?

What are your plans for a windscreen? Stock? Desierto III? None?
  11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    subscribed!!! :lurk:lurk:lurk

btw.... line-x sprayed my TT tank.... LOVE IT!
  12. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awww no! This is going make me want one of those tanks again!
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Well cool and groovy, I have a sneaking suspicion you are about to build what a lot of people would want and with a cool canvas to start with.

Definitely keen to see your work, I have built a few good customs and can appreciate the level of work too, game on!!
  14. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    I agree that having your fuel pump working when it isn't needed is a bad idea. Is there any way to route a selector in-line before the fuel pump, allowing you to switch between tanks at will? I know if this was easy it would be marketed and readily available but this is a chance to truly customize, right?

If some version of this idea is po$$ible and you retain your independent fueling capability idea...Wow! You could go into the off-road rescue business.
  16. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Sounds great Finn, I'll be watching.

If you can find a set, the actual Super Enduro forks would be pretty much ideal for your bike. They are about 25 mm longer, if you drop them in the clamps a bit they should be spot on and add 20mm of travel. The stock springs are a bit heavy for the SE but right for your bike with the TT tank. Your F800 left caliper will bolt on with the right bracket, and you can use the F650 or a similar sized master cylinder to handle the reduced volume. Stock SE rim is a really strong 1.85" DID Dirt Star with thick spokes.

Great overall package, much better than a set of stock forks with the expensive inserts. :wink:
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    gonna give it a test with the lighter? :lol3
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fellow inmate contacted me on ideas for kevlar protection on the bottom front of the big tank. In case your bike takes a nap....( could happen....you know...:D:D) he mentioned that those corners would not fare well in a big spill....... I would gladly help with protection....... In case your interested..... I might be going to Carlsbad,CA in the next 30 days..... I could bring some composite goodies......... I have never seen the tank in person..... But I think the other inmate might be onto something....... :thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should be awesome Finn!

Couple thoughts...

-The HID should be fine without resistors. Easy enough to run it off a relay if it is an issue.

-COG with empty main and full TT tank sounds much worse than it is. I generally run on the main, fill it when empty and alway have the TT full for emergences. I was stressed about it before I installed but it ended up being fine.

-Kevlar/CF armour for the bottom of the TT tank. I didn't give ebrabaek enough of a heads up before I was through and we couldn't get the right fabric/color in time. I've got a few ideas in mind for the armour. If you end up doing it, let me know. I'll be in for a pair if you can whip up 2 sets while you're at it.

Good luck with the build brother!
  20. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. You probably already posted it and I missed it as I'm not a thread reader, I'm a thread skimmer :shog Easiest fix... piece of electrical tape over the display:D

Battery, have you thought about fabbing a low mount for it? Colebatch had a skid plate/battery tray made up for his 650X-Challenge. I think it's a great idea. The weight is really low and the battery is easily accessible (unlike with the TT Tank). You can store things that you very rarely need in the spot the battery was originally in. I carry a spare air filter, 2 spark plugs and a coil on long trips. I though I'd store them in the OEM battery tray. If and when I need them, I need to pull the tank to install them anyway. I'm sure there's lots of odd ball spares you rarely need that you could store in there. Just a thought.