1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The F800GS Seat

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by M N B, Dec 14, 2008.

1. MexicanGringo

MexicanGringo Canadian in Mexico

Oddometer:
    Here's a Sargent "World Sport Performance Seat" I installed a few days ago on my F700GS. Just posting in case someone interested in purchasing that.

The "cup" for your butt is kinda far I feel to take full advantage of the seat I would need risers. It's hard on the butt but I guess it's the break in period even though Sargent claims there are no break in needed.

I'm 5"7 about 28-29 inseam, I can almost flatfoot it's about the same height than the standard seat and about 1 inch higher than the stock low seat from BMW that I could totally flat foot.

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW to add to the thread....

Over the last 3 years, I used an XPC (good, but out of business I think), a Renazco (meh), and a Touratech High (good.)

But hands down, the seat made for me by Don Weber at Mr. Eds Moto is king. Truly custom made to order, no hype, superior communication and quality.
  3. chriselgui

chriselgui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In thinking of this seat, would you recommend it or no?
  4. crossplane

crossplane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know everyone's seen the BMW comfort seat before, but my partner surprised me with one on the weekend when she secretly ordered one for my birthday - so far only done a few hundred kms on it, but it is an absolutely monumental improvement over the stock one.

I was initially looking at seat concepts but had decided I wanted something more like this, and if doing any harder offroad stuff where I want the plank style seat, I still have my OEM seat. I don't think I'll be using it though, when this comfort seat one is...well... actually comfortable!

Can't get over how bad the stock one is when this one is so good. I expect it to get even better as it settles in.

Anyway, pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty damned good for two-up riding as well. Nice and grippy, I've been told it's a much nicer place to be when sitting on the back compared to the stock seat.

For the rider though, it's a huge improvement. You don't get hot spots like the OEM seat and nor do you have that "sliding forward" sensation where you eventually have to keep adjusting and can never find a comfortable spot. This is higher, but flatter - and provides a lot more support.

Highly recommended from me.

edit: the only BAD point is that the MOD overland rack that I have on the back (which is also a sensational bit of kit) can't sit in the "forward" position with the BMW comfort seat on there.
  5. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!

Usually the result with a truly custom seat.
  6. fsiul17

fsiul17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought an 13' f800gs about 3 months ago.....one of the first things I knew had to upgrade was the seat......it was horrible, couldn't ride for more that 45 min. So I began my research .....and most of the ones I found were in the $400-$500 range....which to me it seems a ton of money...... found SEAT Concepts .....less than half the price of the other seats but need to use the stock backplate of the seat...which was fine to me .....because no one is going to buy a used stock that is not worth anything!......so here are some pics comparing the stock and seat concepts one ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up using the stock cover of the seat, the seat concept one was good, but I like the look and feel of the stock one. (SORRY DONT HAVE A PIC OF THAT ).....anyway.....the new seat is great.....much much comfortable....and the best part is that it only cost me $186.....
  7. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did 600 miles a week ago in one day SF to Vegas via Death Valley and the comfort seat did great. I hurt all over after but not because of the seat :)
  8. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Tried the BMW comfort seat, did not work for me at all. At 6' 4" I sat too far forward and was locked in place due to the step. Also the seat was too soft and left me sore after less than an hour.
    Ended up sending it back minus a re-stocking fee. :bluduh
    So back to the beginning, think I'll try the Sargent enduro seat next....eventually.
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the foam density with the seat concepts, as compared to stock...????
  10. fsiul17

fsiul17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure of the technical specification reference foam density between the 2 seats , in my opinion the seat concepts one is a softer foam, and it is a lot more comfortable, is wider on the back of the rider and passenger as well, and the step help a lot to be flat level and not on an angle like the stock one.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it. This also looks like their normal seat. I am eying the tall version to replace my Renasco. This looks like a good shape, and I think their density is right as well.
  12. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was it easy to pull the cover and mount the foam on the oem base, and then, get the oem cover back on to a nice fit? Did you have to use double sided tape / glue to get the form right?
  13. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Seat Concepts foam comes with a new cover. There is a pretty good YouTube video on how to install. An air stapler is good to have to get the staples into the base. I used spray glue to attach the foam to the base.
  14. clarapellar

clarapellar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger and bought the World Sport Performance Seat with the optional heated front and back. So far I am really satisfied, did 200 miles on it Sunday and my ass felt great the whole time. I can see what people are talking about with the riding position being a little farther back. I have TT bar risers now but I think in the future I will be getting some Rox risers to move the bars about an inch farther back. On the highway the riding position is fine but in city I have to move forward a bit to get my feet down. The heating element is the best thing that has ever happened to me, highly recommend!

[​IMG]

This is where I mounted the fwd heat controller.
    [​IMG]

You can see that I mounted the rear heat controller just bellow the seat on the left side.
    [​IMG]
  15. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found it. Thanks. Now, to find spray glue....

EDIT ... 160 cans of it at Reno depot. Job done, so seat ordered. I would love to have the seageant seat, but $500 for a seat, not happening.
  16. fsiul17

fsiul17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's really easy, just take a bit of time because there are at least 100 staples to get off. But once you have that done, you just take off stock foam, clean the backplate , spray glue ...put on new foam, and the your start working on the cover...front to back....it took me about 2 hours and that is counting going to homedepot to get the spray glue. I used a heavy duty hand stapler, and it worked great.
  17. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that. There are some good youtube videos on various seats being done.
  18. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    warm up the cover with a heat gun on low so it is more pliable and easier to stretch
  19. IL adv

IL adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only have 750 miles on it. Its all black, no welt. Perfect condition. My wife liked the BMW comfort I had before this and I could go either way so I'd like to find someone that would like to try the Sargent and trade me even if its in the same condition. PM or email me if you have questions.
    Email: jsn.s.hale@gmail.com

Thanks,
  20. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:

Crap, where were you two weeks ago...sent my comfort seat back to the dealer at a loss, would have gladly traded. :fpalm