The fiery demise of my 07GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BOR15, Jul 30, 2016.

1. BOR15

BOR15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Its been a long while since i have visited this forum and this is not a happy return. On friday night after a bad afternoon of AV install, i was picking my bike up from my mechanic. Was only there because during the week i broke the ignition on the car and needed transport while getting parts. ( To clarify a question further down in the replies. The mechanic did no work to the bike. I was using it as transport while fixing my car on his premises and garaged it there till i could get both the bike and car home.) I picked it up and decided on the way back to my place to cruise some of the rural roads in my local area to clear my head. I was about 20ish minutes into my ride when my left leg started to sting and the bike felt like it was being held back and running a little rough. pulled it onto a patch of gravel that was someones driveway. Put it on the sidestand and as i got my leg over to get off, I got hit with a heavy fuel smell. Next thing i know it ignited and she was going up. I slipped as i was trying to go backwards and ended up on my arse. Called fire and then again 10 minutes later only to be told they are on the way as there was also a large shed alight. by the time they got there she was on her side and nothing could be saved.

Photo 29-07-2016, 19 54 04.jpg

After calling i looked at my left leg only to realise that from the knee down, my outer shell, jeans, socks and boot were saturated in fuel. When the fire captain checked me out and asked if i was riding in track pants (donated by a great young gentleman who stopped) i motioned him to where my riding clothes were. I had removed the outer and socks but the fuel on the jeans was irritating my skin, thats when the young guy gave me his track pants. The chief said that if my pants had ignited that i wouldn't be able to put them out without an extinguisher and said i was a very lucky man.

Photo 29-07-2016, 21 52 38.jpg
    There is nothing left of the bike. If i am lucky they may let me grab the pivot pegs that were a gift.

Photo 30-07-2016, 09 12 15.jpg
    Photo 30-07-2016, 09 20 29.jpg

Reading today, i have discovered bikes with fuel leaks from flanges, barbs, quick connects and fuel lines to injectors. even a report of a police bike in NZ that went up only seconds after the officer got back on it.

I count myself lucky that, first my pants didn't ignite. That i pulled over and didn't stop at the T intersection only 200mtrs or so away to turn right. The chief said that if i had kept moving that it wouldn't have gone up till i stopped somewhere. I was contemplating heading home at the time and i could've been under my carport.

I want to say how great the Rural fire guys were. yes they got there to late to help, but there was a more pressing issue. The young guy who stopped and gave me the track pants. He stayed for a while then had to leave. The local that drove up and asked if i was ok, i indicated that my leg was stinging from the fuel and he took off home and returned with a bucket of water so i could wash it off.

i would also like to say a big FU to the bogan locals who stopped, asked if it was mine and then asked it i had insurance, plus the others that i have told as this is the first question that seems to come to mind. For stopping and offering me a beer while my bike was going up as there was nothing that could be done. This same local, after about 5 minutes there said "oh i have an extinguisher in the car" after the front forks collapsed and the bike was now on its side. And the last 2 guys who thought it was a bonfire and brought bottles of bourbon and coke to watch.

I posted this story hear where there are like minded people and not on FB. I cant be stuffed dealing with the keyboard worriers and FB know-it-alls. I am devastated and at a loss. I haven't taken it out of the garage much at all, or not at all in almost 2 months due to the bloody icy cold weather here. Out of sight, out of mind. She had near new tyres. just replaced the battery in anticipation of spring and warmer weather. Had her kitted my way with akrapovic, wilbers and little farkles to make it special to me.

If you have got this far, thanks for reading and sorry for the rant

RIP BOR15
    Slammin, nemhed and toecutta like this.
  2. OTR/L

OTR/L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap!!!

I'm sorry about the bike, but it is easy replaceable and people are not. It's good to hear that you are OK and you are lucky you didn't get hurt. Time to start shopping for a new bike :-)
  3. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    My condolences. My '05 Multistrada suffered a similar fate - at least the burning down to the ground part. Was coming back from a concert with my then-gf on the back and a coyote ran in front of us. On the freeway. In Irvine (south of Los Angeles). At midnight. Bike went down and we slid, finally coming to a stop on the #2 lane. Bike was still idling and lights on. Cars were flying by, I tried to pick the bike up but couldn't (a chunk of my knee was ground off - that didn't help). We hobbled to the median and called 911 - only to be put on hold. Cars were dodging the bike and finally a truck was doing about 70, didn't see it, and rammed it. Shot it like a hockey puck to the right shoulder , and he careened out of control, almost rolling. I'm standing there watching it with the phone to my ear - was like a Michael Bay film. Bike caught fire and sat on the shoulder and burned. Fire showed up about 5 minutes later and went to the burning bike while we were still standing on the median. Finally CHP shut down all traffic to remove the coyote carcass and we hobbled over to the fire/ambulance guys. Their eyes got big and they said, "we were about to go looking for pieces..."

Crazy stuff always can happen. At the risk of sounding trite - at least you didn't go up in flames. In the end, that's the one thing you can't replace.
    Carlo Muro and BOR15 like this.
  4. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    God protects us. Glad he was with you.
    Carlo Muro, Loutre and BOR15 like this.
  5. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    Did your mechanic have the tank off? Sounds like a qd let go.

Bikes can be replaced, people can't. Glad to hear you are OK.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    mikemaycga and BOR15 like this.
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, that sucks! Don't be too hard on people asking about insurance. They're probably just hoping for the best outcome for you. Good thing you got off the bike before the fire!
    BOR15 likes this.
  7. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Sorry that happened to your bike, but at least somebody did ask you if you wanted a beer, for that your post gets a like.
    Bill-66 and BOR15 like this.
  8. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the loss of your bike. I'd be upset to say the least if it happened to me. Glad you survived. If it lit off while you were moving you'd be lucky to survive much less ride again.
    BOR15 likes this.
  9. aGremlin

aGremlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, that sucks!

No issue with the fuel lines on the police bike. I believe it was battery leads meeting the frame without sheathing...

A common one with the GS/GSA is the seat rail hitting unprotected battery terminals or leads, if the seat is installed badly (I think Wunderlich had a bracket to ensure more accurate placement of the seat).
    BOR15 likes this.
  10. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    "...drunks and fools." I'm double covered.

Heal up, inside and out. Glad you're okay
    BOR15 likes this.
  11. BOR15

BOR15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HOLLY CRAP nostatic!! ....

Thanks guys. Physically im all good, just rash on left shin from contact with petrol. Mentally going through crap in my head as to what i could've done different, or why i didn't notice it till it was that late. I assume it was a sudden catastrophic failure rather than a noticeable over time one.

To clarify the above, the bike was only being garaged at my mechanic. He is a mate that lets me work on my car. It was there because i had snapped the ignition bit that goes into the switch for on and start. Had the barrel and switch out so i could get parts and recode the barrel to the exiting key. Needed the bike to runn around while waiting for the courier to turn up. When it was done, i left the bike there in a corner with his toys as i couldnt get both home.

I guessed as much but didn't think a shorted cable could go up like that. I did read a thread on the R1200RS forum where he had a major leak, but spoke about a GS CL/LC? that burned because of a similar fault to his. http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/fuel-leak.1092/ wish i could see the GS post.

I think i will be without a bike for a while :( ... my mum needs to get an OP and is stressing about it. After she found out on Saturday, she called every couple of hours and you could hear it in her voice. On one call you could tell she was fighting hard while asking me not to get a replacement yet.
  12. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Sorry! Glad you are ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    BOR15 likes this.
  13. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    glad to hear a fellow GS rider is OK... sad to hear the bike is gone.

If you get any feedback on the root cause it would be nice to know as there are a heap of other riders out there with a similar bike / age. there were some fuel pump flange issues a while ago... (not covered by recall in Au but was in other regions)... i had mine fail in central NSW on dirt and it splashed me with fuel... was paranoid of your exact scenario
    occurring
    BOR15 likes this.
  14. BOR15

BOR15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dont think we will ever find out as there is nothing left to look at. But funny you should mention recalls. i found this about a recall in the US http://bmwmcmag.com/2014/01/bmw-recalls-2005-2012-motorcycles-over-fuel-pump-leaks/ was in jan 2014. yet this site https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...923&f[0]=field_accc_psa_product_category:4923 has nothing on it at all

i also found this on here http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/07-gs-fuel-pump-screw-leak.1077445/ that has info on the recall for the flange. very last post has great pics.
  15. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup... that last link... exactly the failure i had, flange quick connect cracked... no recall in Au
    BOR15 likes this.
  16. BOR15

BOR15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scares me how the companies think that it will not happen here in Oz
  17. BOR15

BOR15 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for you mate.

My 06 1200gs had a flange leak (6 yrs ago) that shot fuel 400mm across from the bike. And I got a wet leg as per you did. I feel rather lucky now. BMW basically said FU.

Now there is a worldwide recall on the fuel flange..... I wonder if they would see you right?

Along with the pivot pegs, grab the rear wheel and the exhaust rear can... they look ok(ish)
    BOR15 likes this.
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    FFS... I feel for you buddy, you seem like the kind of guy that gets attached to a bike and gives it a personality. I do the same with mine. I had almost the same issue two years ago with my 8GS. It began to smoke after having slipped on some gravel in a corner. luckely a guy stopped with his child in the bag and asked me if I needed something. I said I was fine and when I turned my back to the bike, dark smoke came up from under the seat. I turned around with a smile and asked him for some water to stop the fire from spreading. He gave me his kids milk and we managed to get it out. Luckely only some melted plastics, airbox and seat.

I hope you'll get bac onto the saddle quickly enough. you were lucky to be here and tell us about your story, now you have to ride on for the memory of your bike :)
    BOR15 likes this.
  20. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate"

Oddometer:
    I just got through with the same fuel leak experience ( minus the fire), strong gas smell at 70 plus, gas puddles in the pump plate, visible fuel squirting when starting.

I was quite remote so drove several hours to a place where I could fix it.

I kept the offending piece, I will post a picture of it later today
    BOR15 likes this.