The Flesh Eater Challenge

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by swamp, May 19, 2015.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

At the risk of opening a bag of bitching, complaining and naysaying I'm going to try this just to see what happens. Here we go..

On the ninth of September 2011 I shipped my motorcycle from Birmingham Alabama and rode solo from Sacramento California back to Birmingham Alabama on a Yamaha XT225. After seven months of research and planning I had mapped out a dual sport route that used as much dirt as possible and chose the least traveled areas that I could find. I called the route “The American Flesh Eater“.

The ride began with the legendary Rubicon Trail which is basically a giant mountain rut-of-doom filled with boulders the size of basketballs and Volkswagens. After suffering through The Rubicon the route crosses the Nevada desert along the Pony Express Route, drops into Arizona near the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument, runs through Zion National Park (Utah), Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (Utah), Capitol Reef National Park (Utah), runs through the San Rafael/ Canyon lands areas, Arches, Moab. The trail then runs through beautiful southwest Colorado, northern Oklahoma, Amazing Arkansas, sweaty Mississippi and finally terminates in Birmingham Alabama “The Magic City”.

This is NOT like the Trans American Trail or the Continental Divide Ride. Both good rides but this one gets pretty damn rough.

The Total Mileage of my GPS tracks for this ride equal 4210 which includes getting lost and running around for parts and food. I camped when needed and stayed in hotels when I felt like it and performed tire changes, valve adjustments and carburetor jetting changes along the way. It took me 28 days to ride this route on the little XT225.

This is such a good ride that I’ve been dreaming of doing it all over again. Believe me, its a tough-one, not easy at all, it made me suffer, it made me scared and homesick and it made me bow, teared-up in awe of the rugged, majestic beauty of America.

I’ve been selling these and other tracks/maps/shipping logistics data/general information/required information on my website enduroearth.com since 2012.

So here is the challenge:

I’ll pay $2,000.oo to the first solo rider to complete this route running West to East in 28 days or less and I’ll reimburse for the cost of the GPS tracks and logistics data when we meet in Birmingham Alabama. I’m doing this to raise awareness for this kick-ass route as well as to refine and update the tracks, believe me I’m not getting filthy rich from selling GPS tracks here. Keep in mind that you will be reimbursed for the money that you spend on the GPS data if you complete the ride. All I ask is that upon arrival we sit down and compare our tracks to work out any closures or issues with the route in order to update it and that you do not “share” or re-distribute the GPS tracks (much the same as the TAT or the BRT).

If there are any takers, I will likely renew the challenge every year or maybe even twice a year.

How it works:

1. Buy the GPS tracks/data using PayPal here :
    GPS PAGE LINK

or here (same result either way)

DIRECT PAYPAL LINK

2. Ill send you “The Stuff” in the mail after I receive your payment ( seriously I barely break even on this shit, but such is love).

3. After you look it over send me an e-mail at swamp@enduroearth.com saying that you purchased the Flesh Eater Tracks and you are doing the challenge. Include your cell phone number and Ill reply back with mine. I will help you in every way possible for preparation.

4. Ill send you a few pictures from my ride report and maybe a waypoint or five that you’ll need to “Tag”/ Replicate with your camera just so I know that you actually completed/re-rode the route as closely as possible.

5. After you arrive in Alabama we’ll celebrate the adventure and talk story. You will have accommodations here and can have a few days rest surrounded in the best sixty miles of private single track motorcycle trails that Lower Appalachia has to offer. If you want to ship your bike home (It’ll probably be wore out) we can take care of that here as well. The $2k should more than cover that.

Note: I rode this in 2011, who knows what you will find out there today. This really is a true, rugged exposure adventure. I assure you that YOU WILL GET INTO SOME CRAZY SHIT!

[​IMG]
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll vouch for some of that 60 miles of sweet track he's got! Was a lot of fun coming down for a visit in a stunning accommodation with great riding, even in the wet conditions. Will have to come back down for some more. Enjoying this fatherhood thing...
    Take it easy man:cheers
  3. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great ride! What do you think is the largest bike that could handle the track?
    Never mind your website states 400cc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    It IS a great ride!
  5. Diffe1942

Diffe1942 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah you are right 400cc is the best one which is written here on the fourm
  6. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Cool
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    your GPS tracks for sale link is dead...

great cross country track, good luck to anyone who completes it, they'll desreve the $2k, i'll be riding a lot of it myself over the next 3 months
  8. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=180 src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=194DBFD6EF65603C&resid=194DBFD6EF65603C%21232&authkey=AN3bDovtI3MSxXQ" frameBorder=0 width=320 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anybody ever bought these tracks? Or anybody that ever attempted it?
    Swamp, I remember following your RR, great trip!
  10. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up on the link paul. i've fixed the link.

hi bob
    yes, i've had a few people buy the tracks over the years but as far as i know, nobody has attempted it. its a ballsy one.
  11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've thrown out a challenge with no takers as well. Yours sounds pretty damn awesome.:freaky
  12. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Would you pay a $1,000 each to a two-man team completing the tracks in under 28 days? :evil
  13. DirtWizard

DirtWizard Gentrified Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had the time to do this... and the knowledge to fix my bike when it breaks. Not if.

You're causing me to rethink my whole life. In good ways.
  14. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    you'll find the time one day to do a long ride, don't worry about that. when you do find the time I hope that you'll try it, its a good ride. even if you don't do it all in one shot, its a great route.

just a heads up.
    its the time of year to be doing this ride. September is the absolute latest I suggest going. winter is not an option on this one.
  15. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming to this from some older RTWPaul RRs and wondering if there were any updates/takers/finishers?
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    there were none...
  17. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the concept. Still a great thread, thanks for creating it.
  18. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    alright, wheres the tracks, i'll do it on my 990a ya wimps :lol3
    Jedi2Rider and Yinzer Moto like this.