The Future ... ?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Scooterwolf, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Scooterwolf

Scooterwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of questions this video raises, but I'm curious what others think. The video is fairly slow, so be patient, but overall it could be the beginning of a game changer.

- Wolf

vertex and AG200man like this.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I can see where electric vehicles can be "the future." In a densely populated area, it makes good sense; the charging/swapping stations can work. For those of us who like to live away from the masses, there is still the issue with range and charging time. This looks like a good concept in the right situations.
    shinyribs and The Virginian like this.
  3. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are in need of sleep, watch this and you will be asleep in two minutes......
  4. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel at least in heavy urban areas electric will really take off. Once they get the range a little better and charging more convenient and reduced times!

My first taste in electric may be coming soon with the CSC City Slicker once they post more real world range and speed figures. For $1995 I am willing to experiment. My commute is only 7.3 miles but thru some of the worst traffic in the nation. It often takes me an hour and sometimes longer to get to work and it does not help that my job places me in full rush hour both ways. Tried every route in the book without finding a winner. Each route has its pros and cons. Some routes you move pretty good but then it becomes a 12 mile commute. Some are in between but then the school zones kill it. Other short routes you tend to make progress but then littered with stop signs and stop lights. I missed working swing shifts and getting off between 11pm and midnight and traffic was a non issue and going the opposite way when I was heading to work.

As a result my mileage averages are way down on anything with an ICE and its expensive. my car is down to 12 MPG and I used to get 20 MPG. Motorcycles are down by 30% or more. Even my PCX's went from mid 90's down to about 75 MPG. Also anything that requires clutch work just in a short 7 mile commute your clutch hand will be exhausted. The scooters help here but I can tell the clutch in them is getting abused as well. I see a lot of traffic related maintenance needed things in the future. I feel in this type of riding anything with an ICE has disadvantages. A lot of the extra wear and tear from this sort of forced abuse becomes a non issue for the most part with electric. Might have to buy brake pads more often but the rest of the package won't care!

Also all the required maintenance on regular vehicles is becoming very expensive and archaic. Not to mention messy and time consuming. I used to enjoy it and for the most part still don't mind it but its not as easy as it used to be that is for sure. Also lately at least in my area gas stations are exactly pleasant experiences. Had a guy the other day come up to me and ask me if he could have some money for gas all the while a crack couple smoking something in the parking lot. Costco is a safer bet but then you wait in long lines. Like it or not I think electric is coming. Its pretty much a sure thing!
    Wentwest and Scooterwolf like this.
  5. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like kymcos out of the box thinking and solutions. A really good Idea that will probably be the way things work in 50 years. They won't even get credit.

Now, a solution if a video is too long and boring but you want to watch. Click on the settings icon on the lower right-hand corner of the video (it's the gear, not available on your phone, but is on some tablets). There you will see playback speed. Raise that to 1.5 On a video such as this The audio should still be acceptable. It is great if you like some YouTubers, but they drag on and on. It also gives you some of your day back. Thank me later!
    Scooterwolf likes this.
  6. Scooterwolf

Oddometer:
    It's surprising how slow this video is, but my guess is the pacing of their CEO is the reason. I'm guessing English is a second (or third) language.

The idea seems to be for a small size scooter -- 50cc equivalent -- which is ideal for an urban setting. There's no discussion on the fees for charging stations, the price of the scooter itself, its speed, or the range per battery. That would need to be known to get a better idea of the full package of this proposal.

- Wolf
  7. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will consider electric when we get an order of magnitude better batteries. If I can go 500 to 800 miles on a charge, charge in an hour and be back on the road, charging stations everywhere like gas stations, it might be practical. Current battery tech getting 50 to 100 miles per charge on as much battery as you can carry and a few hours charge time with practically no available charging stations just doesn't cut it.

I had an electric car back in the 80's. Back then, it only got about 30 miles on a charge and took 8 hours to recharge. I loved how quick the car was, the way it handled, absolute quiet and no vibration when you stop is really strange until you become accustomed to it. I hated the short range, long charging times, battery cost.
  8. Scooterwolf

Oddometer:
    Battery range and charging time is the big obstacle and impairment. I'm not sure if 500 - 800 miles will be possible in the near future as even gas powered scooters can't do that. I'd be happy with 200 if possible.

- Wolf
  9. JerryH

JerryH internal combustion rider

Oddometer:
    I know I have said this a million times, but I feel a need to respond whenever someone brings up the subject of electric bikes. First, at age 8 (now 59) I fell in love with motorcycles because of their internal combustion engines. I later got into cars for the same reason.

I ride as much as I can considering my condition. I used to ride a whole lot more, and did so for 40 years. Only once, for about a 5 year period, did I ever actually use a bike for transportation. It was for financial reasons, after a divorce and after buying a house. In other words, I was completely broke.

Other than that, I only ride bikes for recreational purposes (for fun) I have never seen them as anything but a sport, hobby, whatever. I have ridden in all types of weather conditions, from extreme heat to pouring rain, to hail, sleet, snow, ice, sub freezing temps, pavement, dirt, mud, just about everything. I have ridden over 700,000 miles in my life. BUT. I would not be riding bikes today, and wouldn't have ridden them all my life, if they did not have internal combustion engines, because that is a large part of what makes them fun.

I use a car for transportation/commuting exclusively, and it has an internal combustion engine. at my age, I will never have to worry about dealing with electric bikes and electric cars. I feel sorry for the bike and car enthusiasts of the future. After all, the internal combustion engine is not a passing fad. It has been with us for over 120 years, and is still going strong.

It does not matter if they came up with an electric bike or car that could otherwise do everything an internal combustion powered vehicle could do. They would be dull, boring, and no fun (to me) And I certainly don't see how riding an electric bike could possibly be an adventure. I have read a lot of ride reports on here, including a lot of "round the world" type rides. And I just can't imagine charging stations in most of the locations where these rides took place.

Electric vehicles MAY be the future, but is so, it will be the far distant future, maybe in the latter part of the next century.

No need to complain and tell me how wrong I am. These are just MY feelings and beliefs, other than what I stated as something I have actually done.
  10. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    Times change. Fun does not. Ride a Zero S or S/R and get back to me. There's a place for ICE and E bikes.
    I can't afford - really don't want - toys. The mode of transport has to be practical and inasmuch possible, fun.

Maybe if they somehow put a carburetor on an E bike Jerry might like it?

Electric scooters or small bikes are going to be big time in cities and suburban areas. I look forward to them and am a little worried my deposit on the forthcoming Super Cub 125 will be for naught if there's a credible E Cub. As it stands electric assist bicycles are a serious competitor to E scooters. No license, no insurance, no registeration - they go 25 mph, about what I rode my Passport at.
    Wentwest likes this.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Almost everyone I know has toys. Not all of them have wheels, but they all provide recreation. My toys just happen to be bikes.
    Dirt Dud likes this.
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it. I once had 5 bikes, mostly classics, and they had to be running perfect. I still think about having some small stable of bikes, mostly ICE types. But electric is definitely on that list. Someone clever will come up with some electric thing you'll love - just wait.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I use my scooter for a daily commute in a small town, an electric scooter would be perfect for the job. The only problem for me is finding one cheap enough. I only do cheap, and seldom buy a vehicle in running condition. An electric scooter with a flat battery for $50...I'd be into that !
    ride4321 likes this.
  14. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty slick piece. The big $$ here for Kymco is the multiple battery recharge movable-portable packs. Whoever corners that will be a major player, if not the major player. Naturally Kymco seems to think their battery is the one for it.

The ionex scooter they show has some good features. But they claim with 5 batteries, 3 "rentals" under the seat, 2 on the floor, and the core battery (whether this counts I am not sure) the range is 200km. Not majorly impressive. With the two floor batteries and the core that 200 km might be acceptable. I would guess without the 3 rental batteries the range might be 75km.

I could see Kymco this implementing this in SF, thinking itself green, a good city for scooters and close to the Silicon Valley cred crowd, but most places in the US, in the short term, not very likely. However, there will be dozens if not a hundred major cities on the planet where this scheme could work pretty well.
  15. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a nice ride this morning around the area where we're camping. I was on my PCX150. I would of had just as much fun if my PCX would of been an electric PCX. :clap
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I have had a couple small electric scooters that we carried around in the underneath storage compartments in previous motorhomes (in the 90s). They weren't street legal, but I tended to "find my way" to a grocery store or twelve by back-streeting it. Great for large RV park bopping around. Truly, they were a lot of fun, but not practical. There is a great kick-in-the-pants off the line, since they immediately have 100% of their torque. Currently, I have an e-bike (as in bicycle) that we have used a bunch. Great on trails, bike paths, and street. With the pedal assist, I have done 25 mph - faster than I've gone on any bicycle in the past. Now, an electric scooter with decent range (80 - 100 miles) would handle 95% of my scooting needs... well, assuming it had enough top speed, as well (60mph would be great). I like internal combustion engines, too. BUT, I am open enough to understand that fun comes in all kinds of ways. I think electric scoots are going to be a viable alternative in the not so distant future. Writing them off without trying one with an open mind would be a missed opportunity.
    Wentwest likes this.
  17. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the day, I'm sure no one thought the ICE would ever replace the horse!
    I've talked to a few guys that had e-dirt bikes, said they were a blast.
    Range will be the big issue for me.
  18. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    If they bring them to Australia I'll be taking a real good look at one...

Press release.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    IF I had nice weather here year round, and IF I were still working, and IF my employer would pay for, maintain, repair, and pay for recharging an electric scooter that had the range to make it, I might consider riding one to work. It would not be fun, but neither is driving when you are on your way to work. And it would save me about $100 a month in gas, based on commuting to work a few years ago. That could pay for gas for my ICE powered bikes.
    Wentwest likes this.
  20. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I could run a week on a single charge...maybe even 2 weeks, but just plugging in over the weekend would do it. I don't need removable batteries, just put it in the shed and plug in. They obviously don't do an E bike for you fussy types, but they certainly do ones that are perfect for my use. They just have to sort the price.