The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BlueRidgeTiger

BlueRidgeTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:

Do you mount the bike by standing on the left peg? Particularly if there's lots of cargo on the bike? If so, the tab the sidestand attaches to may be bent. I did that to my other bike.

BTW, how many miles are you getting out of that rear Shinko 705 on your 650?
    LunarFirefly likes this.
  2. ZanderMan

ZanderMan Needs monitoring

Oddometer:
    Looks like about 73° lean angle. Mine is pretty close at 75°.

IMG_8304.jpg
    LunarFirefly likes this.
  3. ZanderMan

Oddometer:
    LunarFirefly likes this.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I'd call that a 17° lean angle. 73° would be fallen over.

There's a phone app for that BTW - If you can find a suitable spot on the bike to lay your phone.
  5. ZanderMan

Oddometer:
    Haha that’s a better way of looking at it, for sure!

Was going by 90° being vertical but I get your drift.
  6. XTreme

XTreme Mucho Macho

Oddometer:
    Today in Spain.....getting cooler at last!

gs303.jpg
  7. ZanderMan

Oddometer:
    Your seat looks awesome! Seat concepts or ?
  8. kchick

kchick n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much @Motopsychoman and @underontop . I was hoping to update ya'll and get a bit more info/help.

@underontop - I was about to order this starter relay, looks like the right one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2944047990...wTtQmfbL_wLw0hIfoMiZIES2rHk57AH4aAohOEALw_wcB

I've not been able to find the shop manual for my bike, and the closest model I found didn't have any diagrams or images of where exactly the starter relay is located (I know I sound like a total dumdum). I feel confident in doing the work but I don't know where to find it. Do you have any photos/online resources that show the location ? Also, since you changed it out yourself, do you have any tips for me? E.g. disconnecting the battery first or what not.

@Motopsychoman - I was going to go ahead and give the computer box grounding resolution a try as well but realized I don't know exactly what type of wire to use or where to get the little round wire ends that are used to go onto a screw. Where is this common grounding point you mention?

As an update also, if it aides in diagnosis, now that I'm paying closer attention to the soft "backfire" or perhaps "misfire" sound I realize that it happens several times per ride. Does this indicate grounding issue or the starter relay? Or something else completely?

Thank ya'll so much for giving me hope on being able to get this thing sorted out myself!
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    The starter relay is located directly in front of the battery, between the battery and steering head. It is easy to recognize by the large red cable going to one of the terminals.

The link to the info on the grounding wire for the BMS-E is here https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ElectronicRepairs.html
    Even an 18 AWG or 20 AWG wire would probably be fine since the distance is very short. The ground stud for the bike is on the right side of the engine under the cover that looks like this
    upload_2021-10-4_16-36-42.png

Be sure to disconnect the negative cable from the battery before messing with the starter relay. Way too easy to cause a serious short of the battery.
    Mofrid likes this.
  10. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    Well guys, another update on our 650's brakes.

I think I mentioned a few posts back that I bled both brakes 6 ways to Sunday.

For the rear I did the normal bleed method with a bleeder hose and 1-way valve. Then I used a 600ml syringe to reverse-bleed the rear. Then I shut everything up, pumped the rear brake a lot, then did another bleed with the vacuum pump I got. Then did the normal bleed method one last time.

For the front, I did the normal bleed method with the 1-way hose, then a reverse bleed, then a normal bleed along with opening the reservoir screw to pump the last little bit of air bubbles out.

I took it for a short, 2 mile ride and use the brakes very heavily, switching from ABS to no ABS and back, locking the rear a few times and hitting the brakes hard to trigger the ABS. No problems.

Let the bike sit for a few days since I've heard that sometimes air bubbles get trapped in the system real good and take a few days to work their way out.

So then I took the bike out again on a much longer ride around town. This time I did about 10 miles and beat the ever living SH%$ out of the brakes. I feel bad for the TKC80 on the back, I was riding supermoto style through the roads around here. Lots of really twisty, hilly city streets. Rode it very hard and used the brakes much harder, like when you bed in new brake pads but even more aggressive for much longer. Switched between ABS on and ABS off many times, locked up the brakes several times and ripped around the neighborhood doing brake slides all over the place (quite a bit of fun on the 650, though the poor TKC80 on the rear hates me now...). Would slam on the brakes to trigger the ABS, then switch it off and do the same and lock the brakes. Did it uphill and downhill too, made sure to find some really steep hills similar to where Fiance had the rear brake go out last time.

NOTHING. Brakes worked perfectly, and I got those calipers HOT. Hotter than I've ever gotten them just riding hard in the woods...never lost any brakes. Brakes felt very firm and strong with no mushiness or anything else.

So...no clue what the problem was. Maybe bad brake fluid, maybe an air bubble...who knows.

I ordered a completely new rear brake master cylinder assembly off ebay - comes with the master cylinder fully assembled, the soft line, rear brake reservoir. Also bought 2 MC rebuild kits which were not easy to find. And unfortunately, the ebay shop with the rebuild kits sent me 2 kits meant for an F650 GS - as in the F650/F700/F800 parallel twin and NOT the F/G650 single. Crap. Well, at least I can rebuild the MC on my F800 if it ever dies now. So there's a new (and correct) MC rebuild kit on the way for the 650. Hard to find these so its coming from the UK, ETA is...sometime in a few weeks-ish.

So, the G is grounded for now. The brakes "work" but neither Fiance or I will have 100% confidence until I can rebuild her master cylinder and rebuild the backup one as well. Stay tuned!
    Mofrid and ZanderMan like this.
  11. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love those test rides!!!
  12. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I have been amazed at what a couple of small air bubbles will do to hydraulic brakes and clutches.
    I have had similar issues after upgrading brake lines.
    More than once it was air trapped in the master cylinder or in front of it. No amount of half lever pumps would clear it.
    Put the cap back on the MC, put a rag under the MC banjo bolt, crack the bolt open while squeezing the lever.
    Worked every time, after lots of other "fixes".
  13. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    Well everyone, mystery solved.

The rebuild kit finally came in so I just pulled the MC off of her bike this morning.

Look what I found inside, yikes.

g650mc.JPG
    ZanderMan likes this.
  14. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not clear to me what that is...almost looks like grease off the operating shaft...
  15. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Like Under says - isn't that just grease?
    From your previous post I wouldn't mess with it anymore. Sounds like you've been able to bleed the system properly now and shouldn't have any more issues.
    Gedrog likes this.
  16. Oefje

Oefje BMW G650GS

Oddometer:
    In Flanders Fields
    20211010_175924.jpg
  17. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it is grease mixed with some brake fluid. The O-Ring in the master cylinder was warped, which let a tiny bit of brake fluid seep down into the pistol and plastic collar. My guess is when she overheated her brakes and boiled her fluid it damaged the O-ring seal. Pedal feels great now.
    Macho Man2 and Motopsychoman like this.
  18. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    A good friend has a 2013, I think, BMW 700 twin and said they are known for that crud in the brake system. He had it in the master cylinder.
  19. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    The grease is standard you also get a small packet with rebuild kit.
    The killer is once water enters that area and it starts rusting
    the boot is pretty tight-fitting so if water gets in it will stay there for a long time
  20. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Umm.....it would surprise me if a boiling fluid in the caliper would damage an o-ring in the master, but I'm just guessing. Hope you've got it fixed now.