The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BlueRidgeTiger

BlueRidgeTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He is correct. I have a 2017 F800GS and this happens to it as well. You tend to get these weird white globs of goo that build up in your reservoir. Flushing the brakes does the trick.
  2. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    It will when you go for a 100+ mile ride through twisty, steep mountain roads and ride the back brake the entire time :-)
    ZanderMan likes this.
  3. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    OK, follow up question...

Can anyone tell me what the factory spec for the rear brake pedal play is? A guy on youtube said factory spec is 1mm of play measuring the pushrod but I dont see where he is able to substantiate that.

Ive read the G650GS service manual, it doesnt tell me anywhere except to check with a feeler gauge.

Today I did the "put the bike on the center stand in neutral while turning the wheel and pressing the brake pedal to check for play" trick but not sure if there's a special Teutonic ritual I need to do or not.
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Play is measured at the pedal stop
    upload_2021-10-12_10-1-36.png
    Spec is 0.2mm-0.3mm. Insert the feeler gauge between the lever and frame stop, loosen the adjuster nut and then the adjuster rod until you can fell some freeplay. Tighten the adjuster rod just to where the freeplay disappears then tighten the nut.
  5. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Sure, but then perhaps have a look at ones riding style instead of the braking system - trail brake when you have to, but don't rely on trail braking :dunno :augie :D
    The front is larger in size, and twice as effective, but seriously, one has to face facts and the BMW 650 thumper platform isn't a race bike, also suspension physics and how they affect grip while cornering is probably the first thing we learn when getting our license so it should come as a surprise to a motorcyclist that it's better to get the speed down before you start the corner.
    Full disclosure; I don't feel too comfortable grabbing a handful of front brake while leaning over, especially in the wet/ damp, so I'm guilty of riding the rear brake myself in steep downhills at times. You know in those instances where you thought you'd be ok, but was still carrying too much speed into the corner.
    NahdarVebb, Macho Man2 and Singulano like this.
  6. kchick

kchick n00b

Oddometer:
    @Motopsychoman I ended up switching out the starter relay and still experienced a complete electrical/mechanical shut down as before. I also had the engine stall out while clutched in and in gear, which hasn't happened for a while.

I'm still confused how the dash can start to come on for a solid 3 seconds when I switch the ignition to off when I experience this power shut down. Can something other than ignition switch/cable failure cause this?

The small pops or misfires continue during each ride, not throughout the entire, say 10 minute ride, but at least a few times, which I'm assuming would still point to something amiss electrically. I have also noticed that while maintaining throttle, often at slower speeds that it sometimes seems like the power falters ever so slightly as if perhaps the engine is missing a beat every once and again. I can't hear anything odd happening and perhaps I'm trying too hard to find symptoms but I have noticed it slightly and wanted to provide all the info.

If ya'll think grounding the computer box could still solve this issue I was going to go for that next. I looked at the pdf sent kindly by @Motopsychoman which provides info on running this ground wire. When I zoomed in on the photos included it still wasn't clear to me where to connect to the computer box. Sorry for being a noob.

So, that's what I have for now, I'm still on the hunt for the solution, any input is helpful. ...and to boot I've been hearing a metal on metal jingling of something loose when hitting bumps towards the rear of the cycle that seems to be getting worse. I just want my baby healthy and happy again!
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it could be just a faulty ignition switch, but the part about the starter not turning still doesn't quite fit. Somewhere on this thread, the Sertao thread or the F650 Dakar thread @Gravel Seeker explains about taking apart the ignition switch. There is a link to some info here as well https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/WiringRepair.html

This bike doesn't have the BMW Alarm does it?
    When the engine misfires, does anything odd happen on the dash?
    When the starter button doesn't do anything, is the headlight on? Or anything else you can notice that isn't right.

The ground strap isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't explain the starter not turning as far as I can figure. It would more likely explain the engine not firing (or misfiring).

Keep looking for other symptoms.
  8. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dash lights coming on after switch off still sounds like sticky relay....If you remove the screws holding down the plastic "cover" of the ECU and lift the ECU partially out you'll spy a couple of lugs sticking out the bottom of the case..these have holes in, and are a good spot to bolt a wire to. I couldn't be bothered running yet another wire to the battery, so I earthed the ECU to a hole I drilled in a cross chassis member under the seat see piccy. DSCN0137 (Medium).JPG
  9. kchick

kchick n00b

Oddometer:
    @underontop Thank you for the response and the photo. To be clear, I did just replace the starter relay on your advice since you said you had experienced similar problems, it was indeed a cheap and easy swap but I'm still experiencing the same issue.

@Motopsychoman I wanted to make sure I'm sharing the info clearly: the starter does always turn when I hit the start button, save one time recently when the starter turned over once then stopped with the start button pushed, but this happened only once ever and otherwise operates normally.

The issue from the beginning has been the following:

Complete electrical shut down of dash, lights and engine at the same time

Switch key back to off and computer turns back on as if going thru startup again for 3 seconds and then turns back off on its own

Switch key back on to run and bike starts up and operates as normal

Bike has stalled out while in neutral or in gear with clutch in

Bike misfires or pops intermittently but several times in a short ride.

When bike misfires or pops there is no indication on dash or with lights that anything is wrong electrically

Bike has brand new BMW issued/installed battery

I have just replaced starter relay

I'm not sure what the BMW alarm is, but it makes me think that I probably don't have it then.

From what you're saying @Motopsychoman , if the starter is operating normally (which to my knowledge, it is) that all this would more likely indicate a faulty ignition switch. I just wanted to clarify all the symptoms and verify the misinformation about the behavior of the starter in case it further informs your diagnose. Once again, I truly appreciate you all sharing your knowledge.
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Kind of a mixed bag of symptoms:

All of the following could be symptoms of a bad ignition switch or wiring harness issues (could also be ECU)
    Complete electrical shut down of dash, lights and engine at the same time
    Switch key back to off and computer turns back on as if going thru startup again for 3 seconds
    Switch key back on to run and bike starts up and operates as normal
    Bike has stalled out while in neutral or in gear with clutch in
    Bike misfires or pops intermittently but several times in a short ride.
    When bike misfires or pops there is no indication on dash or with lights that anything is wrong electrically​

This one doesn't fit and could point to something like the ECU being faulty
    and then turns back off on its own
    Don't think I asked this before, but do you know anyone nearby who has a GS911 they could loan you? Seems like the ECU should be recording some sort of error message(s) for what is going on.

Just to humor me, could you replace a few of the fuses with new ones? F1 is 15A that powers the ECU, F2 is 10A and among other things powers the dash, F6 is 7.5A and also provides power to the dash. I've run across intermittent fuses in electronics on occasion and they are notoriously painful to diagnose. I don't recall running into any on vehicles but it could be a remote possibility.

Beyond those things, I could imaging that the Kill Switch on the right handlebar controls could be contributing to the problem as well as the relay that powers the ECU (#4)
    upload_2021-10-18_13-26-12.png
    The Kill Switch could also explain the starter not spinning as both switches are connected in the same cable. A broken wire or a lose pin in a connector could be the culprit, but the shutting back down after 3 seconds still doesn't fit this failure mode very well. The Kill/Start switch cable plugs into the electronics enclosure at #2
    upload_2021-10-18_13-36-31.png

Sorry I can't think of a definitive cause that explains all the symptoms. It may be one of those things that has a couple of simultaneous problems causing related trouble.

You live in humidity central. Did I mention getting a can of DeoxIT D5 and spraying all electrical contacts any time you disconnect any electrical connection? This stuff cleans, deoxidizes and lubricates electrical connections and can eliminate many gremlins especially in high humidity areas. You can also use it to spray the insides of switches.
  11. xhousewifex

xhousewifex Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my first dual sport event this weekend and crashed in a mud puddle, bending my brake pedal. Some friendly folks helped me bend it back, very gently, but then i dropped the bike again and it really smushed it. I need to replace it but instead of just going with another stock pedal i was thinking I should try to get something that won't bend so easily, or a foldable pedal. Does anyone have any straightforward recommendations? I'd like to try to fix it myself, but I'm not very experienced working on motorcycles so anything super custom would be out of my ability.

THank you in advance.

Attached Files:

12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Touratech used to sell a brake lever with a pivoting tip. I picked one up on eBay for cheap not too long ago.
    I also modified mine (after pretzling it a few times) so that it would fold in the middle
    07 Bend position.jpg
    One thing that will help a lot is to get a short length of wire rope (like 3/32" diameter) and attach it to the front of the pedal and then to some point on the skid plate or frame forward of the pedal to keep sticks, etc from getting behind the pedal and bending it outwards.
  13. underontop

Oddometer:
    The Xcountry's have a nasty issue with a too rigid oem gear lever....the gear change rod (whatever it's called) bends before the lever does...major engine work to replace it. In other words, a bendy gear lever = good !
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Same issue with the F/G650GS bikes. Some folks drill holes in the shifter lever so it will break before it can bend the shifter shaft.
    ZanderMan likes this.
  15. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    For as long as I can remember, once in 20 times or so when I press the starter button, there's a "clank" and everything just goes black. Release the button and a "whirr" ensues as everything wakes back up. Press the starter button again and it's like nothing ever happened. I've always just written it off as something in the starter is binding or didn't aligned 100%.
    I wouldn't worry about this.

I would put all effort into this and especially the last part, as that is what is really weird here.
  16. underontop

Oddometer:
    Switch key back to off and computer turns back on as if going thru startup again for 3 seconds and then turns back off on its own
    I still reckon there's a misbehaving sticking relay there somewhere. There's no spring return in the ignition switch...
  17. XTreme

XTreme Mucho Macho

Oddometer:
    No.....it's the standard seat!
    ZanderMan likes this.
  18. XTreme

XTreme Mucho Macho

Oddometer:
    Today in Spain!

gs320-min.jpg
  19. Fatherless

Fatherless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pikipikis in Spain.jpg A couple of fotos from a recent abbreviated trip to Spain. Rocky track.jpg Highlights were: Mitas E-09 tyres - they could enable the laden Sertao (left, on right an XCountry) to negotiate 1/4 mile inclines of lemon, orange, grapefruit sized "running" gravel (dunno if gravel is the right word, it was in France). Obviously not for pulling g's, laden, in the wet on the tarmac. Shameless punt for 21Brother.eu soft bags - especially the dinky enduro tank bag (in red) that they happily raised by 4cms to give me another litre of water. The 30litre bags were perfect for me - with a 31litre rackbag. Leaving the rear carrier for bladders/beers/vegggies in the blue freezer bag. The tank bag was perfect even with a helite airbag. 21Brothers is a mob of polish bikers that make bags at seriously attractive prices and they'll make it how you like it. Rekluse clutch was incredible and the left hand rear brake made standing for me for hours possible.
  20. BlueRidgeTiger

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Any of you running a rear tire size thats different than OEM?

Fiance's G650 has a TKC80 on the rear thats starting to wear out. Her OEM size is 140/18r17. I have a leftover Heidenau K60 with about 20% tread left that I had on my F800GS which is a 150/70r17. I dont think that would be a problem but thought I would consult the inmates first. This used K60 I have racked up almost 8k miles before I removed it, on the F800 its probably got 2,000 miles left on it but on her G650 it could probably go another 3k miles.

I'm curious because if the K60's with the center strip fit her G650, we'll almost never have to change tires ever again those things last so long. I get 8k+ miles out of a K60 and my riding style has my traction control questioning what it did to deserve being stuck with me. On her bike I imagine it could last even longer.