The Gap Year: Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I've have been in lurker mode, but really have enjoyed following you. But your failure w/ the keyless ignition has my attention. My wife and I are in our first month of a similar journey - currently camping in So Cal before crossing into Mexico at Tecate. Goal is Ushuaia in about a year from now. And ... I have a 2017 GSA with keyless ignition, and it is the one bell/whistle I would gladly do without, and was nervous about even before reading about your failure. I am curious what part they replace - and if it is something maybe I should pick up as an emergency spare. I know on the F800's, even w/o keyless, the ring antenna that sensed the key was a big issue and many people took to riding with a spare. I would do similar if I knew what spare was needed - so please keep us posted. Planning to head across the border in a day or two. Good luck!
    95Monster, AFroes and ScotsFire like this.
  2. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rented a car, drove to Santiago and got a set of Neumáticos 1BE133FB-F656-44EF-B2A9-216E7FB9BF72.jpeg
  3. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Hey! Glad to have you following along. The area around Tecate is beautiful and that’s an easy place to cross.

The unit I hope to replace is the button on the triple clamp. Probably not the easiest part to get as a spare and failures seem uncommon. If you take it as a spare, then the antenna fails instead...or the TFT... or the fob. Just bring extra batteries for the fob and keep it dry. Or bring a hairdryer with a Touratech sticker on it. 3A764039-AC5D-47BA-BD56-8DE30F97FA19.jpeg
    Bulldog Buddy, jachew, Animo and 2 others like this.
  4. C185N9921X

C185N9921X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jorge,
    Too bad there isn't a way to hard wire (Hotwire) the system to get you going.
    Fingers crossed the beemer folk will devise a solution. Even overnight air the parts to get that issue resolved.
    Good luck.
    95Monster likes this.
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Everyone seems to like Valparaiso. It’s a shipping port. It’s not pretty. The streets are on steep hills so it’s not easy to walk around, it’s dirty, it’s covered in graffiti. I dunno the appeal. But, the people are very friendly. The meat is good. The beer is cold. Vina Del Mar, just north, is the ritzy place with beaches, restaurants and the BMW dealer.

If you come here, Villa Kunterbunt is the moto traveler’s place. Lots of European riders come through and ship their bikes in or out of here or Santiago. The proprietors, Enzo and Martina, coordinate shipping for riders. The place is like the city, pretty run down, a little dirty but has an undeniable charm.

And honestly...if you’ve ridden this far, you won’t be fazed by Valparaiso. They have toilet seats... and Kentucky bourbon.

Just came back from Santiago with tires. There’s a street with 5 blocks of motorcycle stores. Not just Chinese 150-200cc but KTMs, BMW etc
  6. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting a good start on this very good RR. It's nice to see parts of Mexico that we don't see or hear about in the US.
    95Monster likes this.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you along. Mexico was fantastic!
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The emotional rollercoaster of waiting on a broken bike—

So I escalated this problem up the marketing and customer service ladder in the US. BMW NA contacted me via email and said they were in contact with BMW Chile and parts were being expedited. This morning, I got an email from the local dealer that they did not need help from US or Germany as they have the part in Santiago and would have it locally in 1-2 days.

Not believing it, I went in person to dealer and they said 2-5 days for the fix. Okay, not bad. Then tonight, I get an email from local dealer, after closing time, that it has to be ordered by VIN and programmed in Germany. It will take 25 days and will I come get the bike?

Mother Fathers! I’m back to square 1.

I’m seriously considering buying a Chinese MC to finish the trip because a 2018 R1200GS isn’t capable of it!
  9. CA Stu

CA Stu Like a drunken rodeo clown... Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Oh man, what a drag. Sorry to hear.
    Fingers crossed, man.
    95Monster likes this.
  10. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    sucks :dirtdog
    95Monster likes this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh my god.....makes you want to never own a new BMW with all the bells and whistles! I am sure they have a way to speed up the VIN programming? hang in there!
    bajaburro and jowul like this.
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I’ve got no choice but to hang in.:))
    Bulldog Buddy likes this.
  13. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got to be kidding!!!!
    Demand they provide you a loaner or rent you a moto from MotoAventura and you'll be back in 25 days after you ride to Ushuaia.
    I'm serious.
    Their scenario is ridiculous in this day and age where anything can be had overnight around the world (if you pay enough).
    Them initially saying they had the parts and it would take 1-2 days to get them 60 miles is insane, hard to believe someone would even make such a statement.

Hard to remain Rational when dealing with Irrational people.

How's the Bourbon holding out?
    tferguson and 95Monster like this.
  14. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell them you expect it to get programmed and packed in a day on then on the next FedEx plane outta there! Sorry to hear more disappointment George.
    95Monster likes this.
  15. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Thanks George; This is an inspirational RR.

Things are gonna be fine.
    Dan Diego and 95Monster like this.
  16. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    It’s going fast.
    tferguson, jowul and Turkeycreek like this.
  17. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why would a local dealer in Chile have a part in stock that needs to be ordered by VIN # and programmed in Germany. Something does not add up. Keep up your optimism and dose the Burbon so that it lasts 'til you get the bike back. There is good wine to be had where you are.
    95Monster likes this.
  18. Angel_City_Matt

Angel_City_Matt n00b

Oddometer:
    FFS Thats a lotta hassle to deal with! Hang in there man! Send me your address and Ill ship you a bottle of Basil Haydens tomorrow!
    AFroes and 95Monster like this.
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Matt, but I'm not sure it would arrive. Just so you get the full picture, I went to a nice restaurant for dinner last night and ordered the paella. Here's a shot of the clams... IMG_5094.jpg Grrrrrr.... I need to go for a drive in the country. Maybe somewhere over by the wine region.
    Bulldog Buddy, jowul and AFroes like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    My Roadster has both factory options - ABS and the keyless ignition "security" immobilizer. The second one gives me cause for concern and that was long before reading this RR. Best of luck with this.