The Gap Year: Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you made it! And it is helpful to get a glimpse of the March weather in Tierra del Fuego. We (yo y mi esposa) plan to be there a year from now, but about a month earlier - but then so did you! Glad you got your bike back on the road in time to achieve your goal.

Looking forward to see your next move; one of our unanswered questions is “what will we do once we get there? We know the options, and have decided it is folly to plan for certain that far in advance, so we are leaving it up in the air for now.

I did finally start an “epic trip” thread for our journey, almost caught up to our current location!
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  2. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's your thread name and I'll follow along.
  3. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Made it to the tire guy in Puenta Arenas. He had two tires to chose from- a Heidenau K60 Scout or a Michelin Anakee 3. I probably made the wrong choice and picked the Heidenau. It's a 50/50 tire and the Anakee is a street tire and we've been riding mostly dirt for weeks. I didn't take into account that it's mostly pavement north of Puerto Montt. From there, I've got to hump some pavement miles to the MotoGP race in Northern Argentina. On the other hand, I've ridden on Anakees and the K60 will be a first for me. IMG_5660.jpg Lesson 1 K60's suck on wet asphalt with high cross winds.

On to the ferry for 5 days headed North. Cafeteria food. No internet. No booze. No riding. But the scenery was nice. IMG_5665.jpg IMG_5666.jpg
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    This is a hanging glacier, I guess, cause it's just hanging there. IMG_5667.jpg Five days reading romance novels in this bunk. Mind you, romance novels aren't really my thing but they were the only books I could find in English. If you like reading, brush up on your German. Plenty of German books to choose from. IMG_5677.jpg I made sure to locate the life rafts. Just in case I needed to make a swift exit. IMG_5671.jpg
  6. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    No booze on the ferry and they really frown upon people smuggling it aboard. Kinda disappointing since they have an awesome bar on the top deck and once upon a time the final night party was a wild affair. Then one night, a young woman mixed her alcohol with anti-depressants and leapt overboard. She was never found and now the rest of us can't drink. IMG_5674.jpg We saw whales, dolphins, seals and no plastic garbage! Imagine a beach or waterway back home with no plastic garbage. Patagonia is pristine.

There was a military band greeting us in Puerto Montt. Okay, not us but some navy guy / girl was getting a ribbon or something. IMG_5692.jpg And like that, the cruise was over. IMG_5691.jpg
    battdoc, Velvetdogmom, jowul and 3 others like this.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    From Puerto Monttt, we wandered North back up to the MotoCamp in Pucon, arriving on a Friday afternoon. It was their last weekend before closing for the off-season. Good to see old friends. IMG_5697.jpg and use the weefee to talk my accountant off the ledge. IMG_5694.jpg I like the camping thing when there's a chef fixing snacks... IMG_5700.jpg
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    And there's a girl making drinks... IMG_5701.jpg And a fire to keep your mind off the fact that it's freezing cold and you've got to go get in your tent, put long johns and wool socks on then a cap and crawl into a mummy bag with a liner and, hopefully, the booze and Pink Floyd knocks you out before you start thinking about how friggin cold it is to be sleeping outside. IMG_5693.jpg IMG_5704 2.jpg
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing this is not good. The shock in the telelever front end seems to have puked its guts out. IMG_5706.jpg
  10. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed K60s before heading out on my Trans Labrador trip. They were OK on the long HWY trip but good on the 700km or so of gravel. Ddi not have much in terms of rain so did not have to test them in the wet. My next set will be Anakee Adventures.
    I am enjoying following you along always waiting to see what's next. Safe travels.
    95Monster likes this.
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    So the bike is at BMW in Santiago. I was dreading going there after my experience at the Vina Del Mar store. The Santiago store is the Mothership. Lots of motorcycles. Friendly staff. Pleasant atmosphere.

The shock is in stock but they need approval from Mexico (???) for the warranty claim. I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop but things are looking good. E20D51A0-784E-4891-BB28-78473F095536.jpeg
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Trans Labrador? Tell me more. Is it worth a trip up the Eastern Seaboard (with MABDR along the way) to ride it? And what’s the ride from the east side of Canada West to the Yukon like?

If I get Maine and Vermont under me, that will leave only 1 US State unvisited.
    Bulldog Buddy likes this.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Like a drunken rodeo clown... Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Your screen name should be "The Warranty Warrior", man. :D

Great report, thanks for posting. :thumb
  14. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Lucky you, I wish there were no winds when I was there. I miss riding already.
    95Monster and JMB_ADV like this.
  15. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Awesome George, that refreshed all the memories of me arriving in Ushuaia. Now as I sit home, it feels like a dream. Boy I want to dream more!!
    95Monster likes this.
  16. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Anthony Bourdain’s Chile episode of No Reservations, Jason and I wandered over to Fuente Alamana Alemeda and had a sandwich. He was right. They are good. A04019FA-3440-4827-B608-C9E2AF6436F9.jpeg 0DDE787E-CF44-4086-80EF-5B75178467DB.jpeg 89B02FCD-EDD7-49EF-8363-9F2524581FC6.jpeg
  17. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Trans-Labrador is a great destination and once done head over to Newfoundland and spend some time (I did not have any) and explore that beautiful part of Canada. See my tour here.
    For the trip from there to the Yukon I would suggest going through Northern Quebec and Northern Ontario to get to Manitoba and on. Yukon is still on my bucket list.
    Trans-Labrador and Newfoundland Itinerary_ji.png
  18. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like good news. We hope there's no urn-around.
  19. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kirk69er and 95Monster like this.
  20. Juan Cruz

Juan Cruz Just riding

Oddometer:
    Great RR !
    I'm just catching up, but great ride...!

Welcome to Argentina, hope you have a nice and safe ride.
    Saludos
    95Monster likes this.