The Gap Year- Chile

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May as well put the condoms to use
  2. tkdcol

tkdcol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great. I leave for Perú tomorrow morning. Will be in Lima for the start of the Dakar
    95Monster likes this.
  3. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what the GI's did on D=Day in 1944'
  4. Dinorex44

Dinorex44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great adventure ride. My hats off to you for pulling the trigger on such an epic trip.
    I am from the US, but in Peru for the hollidays. If you are still in Lima, check out Barranco. Very nice beach town. Also try the Piccarones, reminicant of a dounut, but better.
    Have a great trip!
    95Monster likes this.
  5. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sascha saved the day! Great job.
  6. motojohnny

motojohnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where's George? Happy new year!
    95Monster likes this.
  7. bikerman

bikerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes where is George ?? Happy New year!!
    95Monster likes this.
  8. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    From another RR I see He's meeting up with some other inmates soon.
    95Monster likes this.
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Hello and sorry to have fallen behind. Plenty of excuses- Christmas, New Year's, poor WiFi, bad hangovers and a iPhone that was locked for several days. Now, I'm sitting on the shore of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world with floating islands and the border of Peru/Bolivia running down the... ahhh, getting ahead of myself. Lets go back to Lima.

The bike went into the BMW shop for a faulty keyless ignition system and some much needed brake pads. Of course they couldn't replicate the problem but came to the conclusion that it was a software problem and they updated my software. Now, I didn't have much faith in that being a fix but when I got to the hostel one of the overlander couples, in a cool land rover, got on the German BMW blogs and found similar problems as mine and the software update was the fix. I dunno...but so far so good and I'm still in the rain almost every day.

Mmmmm, Pisco Sours have replaced margaritas (out of necessity) Pisco Sour.jpg
    We made a trip to the mall for some Christmas shopping and a visit with Papa Noel. XMas.jpg
    And the crew convinced me to stock up on camping gear. Now I bought brand new tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat back in LA but before my departure, I pulled the gear out of the load and haven't missed it once. But the guys are telling me I'm going to want to camp somewhere...I dunno where... Still not convinced that Im going to take to camping at this age.
    On the 23rd of December, we departed Lima and headed south towards Ica and the desert oasis of Huacachina with a slight detour into Paracas National Park. Paracas.jpg
  10. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Paracas is pretty cool if you like sand, dirt, wind... Paracas road.jpg I hear they make a fortune harvesting the bird shit. Paracas Harbour.jpg And on our way out, Kersten got a flat. Now, she had new tires and tubes mounted in Lima. The shop mounted the tire the wrong direction and had to remove and remount the tire. And she got two pinch flats in her tube! So they sat about changing the rear tube in blowing sand and were back on the road in well under and hour! They should be on a Dakar team. S&K wrench.jpg
    Velvetdogmom likes this.
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    From Paracas, we headed to Ica and the oasis in the dunes nearby, Huacachina. OasisTown.jpg Christmas was upon us and we wanted to be somewhere nice where we could enjoy a few days rest and celebration. The Desert Nights Ecocamp fit the bill perfectly. Overlanders.jpg Since I'm going to have to sleep in a tent at some point, I wanted to ease myself into it. Tents.jpg
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Christmas Day, we headed up into the dunes for some sand buggies and boarding. SandBuggy2.jpg
    Sand boarding? Sure. SandBoarding.jpg Our motley crew on Christmas Day, last year. SandBuggy.jpg
    roadcapDen and Velvetdogmom like this.
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Fun day but it was time to head back to the Oasis and get the sand out of our shorts. CrewCab.jpg Have some breakfast at the Colombian's hostel OasisBfast.jpg and say goodbye to the dunes. Colombians.jpg
  14. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The Day after Christmas, we headed towards Nazca. Not much to report, really, since my iPhone went on the blink. You can't see the lines from the road, really. But there are 30 minute flights out of Nazca that give you a good look at them from the air. I chose to skip the flight. I don't really care much for flying...

And, we had a less than awesome dinner at a Chinese restaurant in town. No pics...lucky you.

From Nazca, the road went inland back in the mountains. I have to say the mountains in Peru are stunning. The coast, not so much. So it was good to be going back up into the mountains even thought that meant rain and, possibly, cold weather. twister.jpg The TKC 70's work pretty good on the gas. corner.jpg I managed to get away from this place without buying a dead animal to sit on. Sasha wasn't as lucky. skins.jpg
    Animo, powderzone and Velvetdogmom like this.
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    It's a two day ride from Nazca to Cusco. The mountains are amazing but there's not much of anything else. BridgeShot.jpg HighMtn.jpg Roadworks.jpg
    jowul, motojohnny and Velvetdogmom like this.
  16. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The thing about riding high elevation in the rainy season is it rains. It's cold. Really cold. 37f in the rain at 4,000m sucks. Heated hand grips and long underwear only go so far. But it only seems to rain in the afternoons. So it's just the last couple hours where you have to tough it out. But when you end up in a town like Cusco, it's worth it. Inca.jpg
    We settled in to the Casa Grande just of the Plaza and walked over to the infamous Norton Rats Pub for a pint or two. NortonRats.jpg Our first hostel.jpg
    roadcapDen, jowul, Cal and 2 others like this.
  17. bikerman

bikerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice George so good to see you are having fun!
    95Monster likes this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Feliz Año Jorge!
    95Monster likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh Pisco sours!
    95Monster likes this.
  20. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Once I got to Cusco, I wanted to get my Bolivian visa squared away. So I fired up my phone, called an Uber and went to the consulate. Lucky for me, about 15 Chinese and 5 Americans had the same idea. First I had to get through security, which turned out to be pretty easy. Didn't even have to share a granola bar. Consulate Guard.jpg I had applied for my visa and uploaded all the required exhibits online and received a confirmation number. But, I didn't want to find out at the border there was a problem. So I went to the consulate and waited for the man. Consulate.jpg Now I did make a mistake. I should have printed all my documents out. I had them all on my phone. So I had to email the docs to him so he could print everything out himself and check it against my electronic filing. This took extra time. Then I had a short walk to the government bank to pay the $160 visa fee. Once back, the consulate put a sticker in my passport and some stamps with the visa and sent me on my way. All told, probably 2 hours at the consulate. Consulates.jpg Later, I filed for my Bolivian TIP online too. So the border crossing tomorrow should be straightforward.
    powderzone likes this.