The Gap Year- Chile

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    [/ATTACH] Later, I filed for my Bolivian TIP online too. So the border crossing tomorrow should be straightforward.[/QUOTE]
    :rofl:imaposer:lol2
    Good Luck and have fun buying gas. :baldy
    powderzone and 95Monster like this.
  2. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Machu Picchu, it's what we all dream about when we think of going to far off mystic places. Truth is, I was worried about the trip as I have a titanium hip and a shitty back. I can ride a motorcycle all day but it's quite painful to walk around the block, or stand in a line. And Machu Picchu is the land of a million stairs and two thousand tourists. (They let 2,000 enter in the morning and 2,000 in the afternoon.) Before I left LA, I decided I would at least go as far as Aguas Caliente, the town at the foot of the mountain. We did some research and put together a tour package for three of us departing our hostel in Cusco by private taxi for a two hour ride to Ollantaytambo. On the way, we did some touristy things. Dying Wool.jpg I bought an alpaca knit hat that has already paid for itself. Saw some funny looking dogs. FunnyDog.jpg And we made it to Ollantaytambo to catch the train to Aguas Caliente. ollantaytambo.jpg
    motojohnny, PaisaMed and Velvetdogmom like this.
  3. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Trains are cool. Trains running through the Inca's sacred valley to Machu Picchu are really cool. river3.jpg river2.jpg river.jpg
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We got off the train in Aguas Caliente and were met by a guy from the hostel who walked us there to drop our bags and board the bus up to Machu Picchu. Bus.jpg The ride was a bit hairball but it would be fun on a 250x. Bus Window.jpg Funny looking horses wandering around up top. Funny horses.jpg
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Once you're up top and through the ticket gate, you walk up the stairs... for awhile... Stairs.jpg then there are more stairs... More Fing Stairs.jpg and you just keep walking as the cool views unfold. terraces.jpg
  6. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's touristy. Yes, it's crowded in spots. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it rained. And, yes my hip and back were screaming. But it was worth every bit of the discomfort. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. MP.jpg huts.jpg bus road.jpg
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The new hat looks good on you .

upload_2019-1-3_18-45-13.png
  8. motojohnny

motojohnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $160 visa. Dang! Looking good Georgie!
    95Monster likes this.
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I did it. Machu Picchu was a real high point of this trip. The town of Aguas Caliente: aguas.jpg aguas2.jpg We had some nice alpaca for dinner. alpaca.jpg and caught the train back the next morning.
    jowul likes this.
  10. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Bye Aguas Caliente, would have liked to stay longer. Inca.jpg But New Year's Eve was approaching and we needed to get to the market and stock up. Coca.jpg Unfortunately, the cops didn't like our parking job. Cop.jpg
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    By New Year's Eve, inmates Tferguson (Jason) and BattDoc (Nirbhai) had arrived in Cusco. So we did what every dumb gringo does. We went out for Cuy. Live Cuy.jpg Most of us ordered ours fried, but they serve it roasted too. cuy1.jpg cuy2.jpg I don't think any of us will go back for seconds.
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    New Year's Eve was a big night in Cusco so we needed another day for recovery. The next day Sascha, Kersten and I planned to ride south towards Lake Titicaca while Jason and Nirbhai were going to make their pilgrimage to Machu Picchu. We had a farewell dinner New Year's Day of burgers and fries. Dinner.JPG Then we went our seperate ways. But hope to see those guys again soon.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Good looking crew.
    95Monster likes this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report George, loved the photos of Machu Picchu brought back good memories! The hot pools in Aguas Calientes would have helped your back.
    12 years ago I took the guided 5 day hike from Ollantaytambo, I was 54, I could not do it now. The hike was through many other ruins almost as spectacular as MP. Because we walked there we were the first to enter the ruins at 6am long before other tourists, I think it is in the top 3 hikes I have done.
  15. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the pictures of Machu Picchu. I too made a pilgrimage there many moons ago. In fact I drove there from Washington DC in a Volkswagen bus with a buddy back in 1975. We got off the train early and walked the Inca Trail in. My buddy got sick so we had to camp out for an extra two days. 5 day trip never saw another gringo.
    Cal and 95Monster like this.
  16. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    cuy2.jpg

I hate it when my food smiles at me.
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  17. motojohnny

motojohnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tastes like chicken? Maybe you can get a seat cover made from a few pelts?
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I like chicken. This didn't taste at all like chicken. It tasted like a greasy rat.
    jowul likes this.
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Cusco was a nice place to bring in the New Year. But time to go south. We headed towards Puno and Lake Titicaca through a beautiful, albeit cold valley. One village we passed was the Cuy capital. We didn't stop. valley.jpg We made it to Puno and checked into Quecha's Inka Palace with a pizza restaurant downstairs. The restaurant was closed for the holidays so our bikes went right in!

Then next morning we took a boat ride out to the floating islands of Lake Titicaca. Boat.jpg Not that one, a regular boat. At the end of your island visit and the presentation the locals make, you're invited to ride around the island on the reed boat for 10 soles, which seems like a lot for child labor. ChildLabor.jpg
    Bulldog Buddy and Velvetdogmom like this.
  20. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    It was quite the tourist operation exiting right through their version of the gift shop. LadiesWorking.jpg The Work.jpg Now if I were getting on a plane and checking a bag, some of their wares might have come home with me. Since I'm on a bike for the foreseeable future, I had to pass on the hanging mobile that's supposed to attract a mate.

Bye Bye Uros! Don't eat all the cichlids. WelcomeIsland.jpg