The Gap Year- Chile

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. misanthropic

misanthropic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 17 Rallye and I’m definitely watching to see how BMW corporate handles this for you. Good luck man. Great report.
    95Monster likes this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    If BMW doesn't deliver then when it's time to crank on them, go to the North American sales and marketing people. They know the value of reputation and the cost of screwing vocal people over.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. curlspoke

curlspoke n00b

Oddometer:
    Check in with Johnny Moto in Santiago. He works on a lot of BMW and may have a suggestion. I got my tires from him and service. Also Chris at Casa Matte runs a moto hostel in the city, he has all the moto contacts you’ll need. MotoAventura and RideChile can also take care of you, but I haven’t worked with them personally.
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  4. bikerman

bikerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey George just curiosity after you do your trip are you planning to get back the same way riding or are you planning to ship the motorcycle back home?
    95Monster likes this.
  5. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Ushuaia, I’ll head north to Montevideo, Uruguay and decide where to go from there. I’d like to ride from Morocco to the Nordkapp.

For now, I’d be happy if I could ride from Valparaiso to Santiago.
    Animo, yokesman and Turkeycreek like this.
  6. bikerman

bikerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, hope you get your issue with the bmw dealer sort out soon!
    95Monster likes this.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    As I sit here waiting to hear back from BMW NA, BMW Corp, Williamson Balfour BMW Valparaiso and my Chilean lawyer, I have to consider the real possibility that my bike may be grounded for a month or more.

That delay puts me in Ushuaia and southern Argentina late March when they say “Winter is coming.” I may leave the bike in Santiago, rent a bike or car and drive down Patagonia to Ushuaia.

Crossing my fingers that will not be the case.
    Bulldog Buddy likes this.
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bmw was taken to the shed years ago over the singles engins n the twin shaft housing, guess they just havent quite got the picture. On the other hand, our Honda warranty on our AT stops at the borders north or south.
    Thank you Honda for Your understanding of the motorcycle World.
    powderzone and 95Monster like this.
  9. motojohnny

motojohnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every anecdote I've ever heard about BMW handling odd issues is that they always default to NO. Only after pushing them around will they come around. Expect the same. Sorry you're stuck brother. We're all cheering for you.
    95Monster likes this.
  10. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, sorry to hear the troubles your having, hope all gets sorted soon. Good luck.
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Quick update. BMW NA confirmed that warranty was valid and contacted BMW Chile. Now Chile has accepted my claim. No word yet on how long it will take... which is kinda important cause ‘Winter Is Coming’ to Ushuaia.

Baby steps...
  12. Velvetdogmom

Velvetdogmom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear things are starting to move in the right direction. Where are you on getting a better price for tires?
    In the meantime explore where you are and keep us in the loop.
    95Monster likes this.
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I went to the mall today. The tents were crap...but I found some Bulliet Bourbon in the grocery section:).

Tires probably need to come from Santiago unless my friend, cough cough, can ship a set from the US easily.

I’m doubtful bike will be repaired in time to make Ushuaia by first week of March. May try and rent a bike- or car - to get down there.
  14. mauger

mauger n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,
    Sorry for jumping in "unsolicited", but would like to put my 2 cents on this "winter is coming" subject. Back several years ago I left Brazil in early April and was in Ushuaia by mid-April. Plenty doable...some snow and ice on Paso Garibaldi, but nothing major. Hang in there, my friend and even if it takes a little longer to have the bike fixed, don't give up yet on every advrider's dream of entering Ushuaia on your own two wheels.!! Hope all turns to the best and is solved kickly.!! Good lucky and fuerza.!!
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in! Yes, I hear you loud and clear. When you’re sitting around doing nothing, your mind goes to dark (and cold) places. All is good.
    Bulldog Buddy likes this.
  16. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang in there George! It's all part of the adventure. Everything happens for a reason!!! Thanks for the updates and good luck!
    95Monster likes this.
  17. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    When I hit a rough spot while building our hotel, my neighbor Raymundo (the cheese guy) wrote on yellow sticky for me
    " No perder el animo."
    I pass Raymundo's words of encouragement on to you.
    95Monster and jowul like this.
  18. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    On that note, other than you wanting to move on and the shitty circumstances that are holding you there, just how is Valparaiso? At least they have bourbon. Worth a stop? (Obviously not for bike servicing.)

It's on my current itinerary for next fall. I'm trying to straighten a couple of loops, and that could be one of them.

I'm sure you are aware, but there are a couple of rental vendors in Santiago, other Beemer shops too. Cold solace, but your experience will help me and others with BMW's in potentially avoiding the shop in Valparaiso.
    95Monster likes this.
  19. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is indeed great news. Now you just need to get all heated gear to ride to Ushuaia:lol3
    StrongUrge, AFroes and 95Monster like this.
  20. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    All is good!
    Bulldog Buddy and motojohnny like this.