The Gap Year complete

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TImber Inn.jpg Section 5 done! Now section 4 of the BDR was the Magruder Corridor, another 100 mile trek through the backcountry. I was exhausted and sore... and perhaps a tad hungover... from the Lolo Hwy and wasn't up to another solo journey with no map. So I pulled the plug on the Idaho BDR. I'd love to go back and complete it...with a couple other riders and a map!
    thirsty 1, jowul, Turkeycreek and 3 others like this.
  2. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Say the word. I’d do it again!
    thirsty 1 and 95Monster like this.
  3. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    great report, thanks
    95Monster likes this.
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Idaho was pretty cool and to ride the backcountry and visit small towns off the beaten path was a treat. After a night in Lowman, I headed East to Jackson, Wyoming. LongHwy.jpg What can I say about Jackson? I used to love it in the early 90s. But back then my visits were towards the end of September, when the season was closing. In mid July things are in full swing. So I paid a wad of money for a room downtown and walked over to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar for dinner. Jackson.jpg One night in Disney and I was off to the parks. Now, like Jackson, the parks were in full swing. And it was a weekend. And they all drove Motor homes. So I spent the day passing RVs on the double yellows and made it up to the Beartooth Highway. No RVs on the Beartooth Hwy! Beartooth.jpg Beartooth2.jpg Up over the pass to the town of Red Lodge, MT and an oat soda. RedLodge.jpg
  5. Ristic

Ristic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great to meet you George, in Canada. Not the best picture, but it was spontaneous!

7DF5A817-6D56-42CD-A89B-070920EDFBD5.jpeg
    95Monster and shiryas like this.
  6. chif

chif Bukowina, inima mea!

Oddometer:
    Hey George, this is a really great report, thanks for taking the time to do it, I know it's not easy. Your trip is simply EPIC and the pictures fantastic!
    This is Bogdan (the Serious) from the Bukowina group, it was so great meeting and riding with you!

Hi Dejan [Ristic], great to see you here! We had a great ride together. In the picture above it looks like I'm dancing powwow :))

Today at 3pm Pacific time, we'll launch the première of this year's movie. Both of you are in :) I'll share the Youtube link in the next days.

Hi Chris!!! Long time no see! Great to see you here!!! Hope to ride again soon!
    95Monster, Jedi2Rider and shiryas like this.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Apologies, I've let this sit way too long. Past time to wrap this thing up and get on to the next adventure- From Red Lodge, MT, I headed north and took the Going To The Sun Road across Glacier NP. The Sun wasn't there so I headed back south visiting as much of small town Montana as I could find. IMG_6836.jpg Colorado was calling so I got down there to reset and prepare for a COBDR ride. There had been quite a bit of rain over the past weeks and I starting thinking dangerous thoughts...like maybe I should drop this whole moto thing and get myself an Expedition Vehicle like...I dunno...maybe...and Earth Roamer? IMG_6880.jpg IMG_6884.jpg So I stopped by the factory to spec one out and after reviewing the quote decided I was a dyed in the wool motorcycle camper.

I was meeting two long time riding buddies in Colorado and had plans to ride the COBDR with them; and they were bringing Dunlop's Trailsmart Mission, a 50/50 tire not yet released. A lightly scrubbed set was waiting for me when I arrived. IMG_6914.jpg I gotta be honest, at first glance I was a little nervous. COBDR was late to open and I was hoping for something more in the lines of a TKC 80 for the muddy mess we'd be riding into. But we were tasked to put them through the ringer and get some photos for Dunlop's upcoming tire launch.
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Along the way, my favorite gloves gave up...Lee Parks' Deerskins with the seams on the outside. Love them for warm, dry weather riding. I've had several pairs and they typically last me about a year and this set gave up right on schedule. IMG_6917.jpg
    I replaced them with some shorty Klims but they aren't as supple as the deerskins with the outside seams. How about some gloves there, fella? IMG_6946.jpg
    When I got to Denver, I dropped in to a Mosko Moto gathering and ran into a couple I had met on New Year's in Cusco, Peru. They had flown in to Colombia, bought Chinese 250cc ADV bikes and toured South America! What cool circles we travel in! IMG_6982.jpg And it ws time, actually way past time, to replace my helmet. IMG_6984.jpg I love these XD-4s but mine was getting pretty long in the tooth and, well, smelled a bit like a sour dish rag. So thanks very much for the birthday gift, KV!
  9. FlyingSkeet

FlyingSkeet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get a JOB already! So good to see a update. Glad you’re still at it, healthy and enjoying life.
    outdoorsman, i4bikes and 95Monster like this.
  10. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    You know what they say about returning after a ride like this? Well, it's true. Let me wrap this one up and we'll start on a new adventure!
    thirsty 1 and JimsBeemer like this.
  11. SalsaRider

SalsaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swing by the Springs, Colorado Springs, if you can. It would be nice to see you again.

SalsaRider/Monte
    hartx2@aol.com
    95Monster likes this.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Looking Good Jorge. We missed you at the Banamichi Meet-up
    95Monster likes this.
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Justin and I met in Denver and headed to Dolores, CO to rendezvous with Ken. Denver.jpg
    We elected to skip the 'Official Starting Point' at the Four Corners and start our ride from Dolores. There's nothing but a monument out there and it's a 100+ mile round trip street ride from Dolores to the monument and back. The Outpost Motel in Dolores is a COBDR friendly place right on the river. Cool place to stay if you're in those parts. DoloresOutpost.jpg Three miles up the road, Section 1 of the BDR launched into the woods onto rutted out two track. It was beautiful, exciting and nerve wracking on the Big Girl. I never would have chanced this busted up, narrow track alone, or even with my buds except that the GPS and map said 'This Way.' Not to mention, it'd been raining every afternoon in the mountains and I was worried about getting caught on an "Impassable When Wet" section.

After a few decent climbs, roll coaster ATV trails, wheelie bumps and a couple of gates, we descended down to a wide gravel road. Lesson learned! This bike is way more capable than I thought. And the new Dunlops... well... I'll wait to share my thoughts on them. JwBikes.jpg
    Skipping Four Corners made our ride day about 80 miles through the woods to Telluride, where the New Sheridan Hotel welcomed us for the night. In hindsight, Section 1 was probably the most difficult section of the COBDR for us, both for the condition of the two track and, being Day 1, out of the Real World and into Adventure. On the otherhand, the hotel was the most extravagant of our trip but worth every penny. Charming old place, roof top bar with adult beverages and delicious steaks downstairs; from the GM down, the staff makes you feel very welcome.

Attached Files:

thirsty 1 and Pete S like this.
  14. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The next morning started with a hiccup; one of the boys misplaced his key. (Turns out, the key found its way into the lining of his jacket but that's a whole nuther story.) Now these boys were fresh out the office, burning vacation time and eager to ride. Any time not riding or drinking was wasted, making things a bit tense searching the sidewalks for the missing key. Luckily, he had a red and a black spare. We tried the red first then the black without success.

We called round to the shops, most were closed Monday, one had a KTM tech that came in on Wednesdays and KTM HQ never responded. The boys were stressed but I was thinking: "How bad can it be? They speak English here." Well eventually we got hold of a tech who said "whatever you do, don't try the red key!" Of course that was the first one tried...and it wiped out the ignition code. Now we had to reprogram the ignition. The tech messaged over instructions which had us turn the key on and off, left blinker, right blinker, do the hokey pokey and turn the bike about. That's what it's all about when you use the RED key!

The late start gave us one more reason to skip Ophir Pass. Frankly, I wasn't keen on riding the big girl over the rocky pass and we were running into an awful lot of riders that wished they hadn't attempted it. Also, Cinnamon Pass was closed a few days earlier by a mudslide. So we headed off on Section 2's alternate route, Last Dollar Road. Last Dollar Rd.jpg
    I don't think we missed much.
    OwlCrkPass.jpg
    May as well get some pictures while we're out here. PhotoShoot.jpg G&J copy.jpg G copy.jpg G&J BEhind copy.jpg
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Hey Monte! Great to hear from you. I bet we run in to each other again!
    SalsaRider likes this.
  16. SalsaRider

SalsaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed! Send me an email so we can coordinate a rendezvous-vous here in Colorado Springs
  17. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    From Owl Creek Pass through Big Cimarron was beautiful riding. Straightaway.jpg And even though black clouds threatened from the mountain tops, it stayed dry until the Blue Mesa Cutoff from US 50 towards Lake City. It rained on that stretch just before we arrived and the road was wet... a good wet. KV gave it the gears and vanished. A few minutes later, the dirt tracker in Justin came out and hot shoed off; so I did my best to chase after them. And we made it to the very cool little town of Lake City which has an active ATV and Jeep community. I guess it's a launching pad for riding Cinnamon and Engineer pass on the Alpine Loop.
    Nice lodging... Silver Spurt.jpg
    Gumbo and Shrimp N Grits across the street, served with Abita Beer.
    Shrimp & Grits.jpg
    and lots of deer campaigning for the ATV crowd

Sign.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    After a great dinner and rest, we got up to tackle section 3 from Lake City to Buena Vista. Cafe.jpg
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Up at the crack of 10 and on our way! Sign.jpg
    Colorado sure is pretty Road.jpg Cliffs.jpg
    But it's hard to breathe in places.
    CumberlandPass.jpg
    We made our way up to Buena Vista and the Great Western Sumac motel. Now I try to stay in nice places when I can, well, at lease cool places. But I couldn't find anything in Buena Vista since a bicycle race was passing through town and snatched up all the rooms. The only vacancy was the Great Western and the rooms were actually fine. But, and this is a BIG but, you've got to get through the foul cat piss smelling front desk check in. If you're not prepared by reading trip advisor, bookings, yelp, etc...I'm guessing the front desk will turn you right back around. On the plus side, there is a steak restaurant across the street that serves steak: 6, 8 or 10 oz filet mignon served with potato and salad. That's it. No other choices so no pressure; just have the steak.
    Slick13 and thirsty 1 like this.
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The previous day was long but fast paced, covering 144 miles. Section 4 from Buena Vista to Gypsum was estimated at 135 miles crossing three peaks so it would be a little longer.

Right out of BV, the route leads onto an OHV park and snakes along banked ATV trails. Fun riding for a 250 but a workout riding 'Adventure' bikes. Then you come to the first of three water crossings; how I wish I had pictures. The trail goes downhill, crosses a narrow creek and climbs up and over the next hill. Having read another inmate's RR, a day ahead of us, describe the crossing, I knew what to expect. It had a quick drop in, muddy bottom, and steep climb out. I went first with no drama. Justin , who was on comms with me, followed and chased me up the hill til we found a shady spot to rest and have a snack.

Now Ken is by far the best rider of the bunch so we weren't too concerned he wasn't on our tail. He stopped to take photos and video us crossing the creek. After a bit with no Ken, we started worrying and gearing up when he arrived, soaking wet and exhausted. He wasn't on comms and didn't have the intel about the depth and angle of the bank. After watching us pussyfoot across, he charged it, thinking it would make good video; and boy howdy! The bike's bow wave went right over the top of his helmet cam as he augered into the far bank and fell over, pinning his leg under the hard bag and his head under water! He luckily, kicked his way loose. That could have ended badly.

Normally we stick together crossing obstacles but there was nowhere to stop on the far bank. You climb up the hill a ways before there's a flat spot. We were going over all this when Ken realized the hard bag on the side he was pinned was missing. It must have come loose, freeing him from drowning. So Ken & Justin geared up and went down to the creek, where they found the bag submerged on the bottom and that was the bag with his camera gear. He didn't die, so that's an adventure. But he drowned all his gear so that's a bummer.
  20. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see ya smiling face on the RR again George!! Curtis and I came down the Continental Divide a few years ago and that riding is Amazing through Colorado! Cheers and thanks for finishing up!!! Happy Trails !
    95Monster likes this.