The Gap Year- Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just shattered the glass... manana, they say. When you get the bike, head for the mountains! The weather is nice. The people are nice. The riding is nice.
    battdoc and Bulldog Buddy like this.
  2. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    I just got caught up. Thanks for taking us along and I'm glad you're digging Colombia. It doesn't seem like you're heading to Bogota, but if you do or if you need anything, ping me.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. Angel_City_Matt

Angel_City_Matt n00b

Oddometer:
    Just catching up on the adventures! Great pix and writing. The road out of Medellin sounded like a nail biter! Miss riding with you brother. Very cool of Justin to come out for a spin. I hope your espanol is getting better for those dificult migracion officials.
    Looking forward to the next updates! be safe and keep having fun
    95Monster likes this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Which chick busted it?
    Slick13 and 95Monster like this.
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Ahh, Salento. You are my favorite spot in Colombia. I've had three visits here but it's time to for my last cuppa. Salento Coffee.jpg Digging the jeeps but you guys have less tread on your tires than my streets skins. SalentoJeeps.jpg We had planned to ride out of Salento the back way through Toche and on to Ibague but it had been raining for days. Justin and I had an 'adventurous ride' into Salento the week before on that route so we decided that it might be wise to take the tarmac instead. Bye Bye Salento! SalentoSquareMorning.jpg
  6. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The thing about the tarmac route is, on the map it's a very very twisty mountain road. In reality, it's a bumper to bumper race with trucks. Not a lot of fun until you get past the split for Bogota and start heading South. Things start to mellow out then. We veered off the pavement and hit the dirt road to Villavieja (45A?) and had a great ride through the Desierto de la Tatacoa. Cyn.jpg CactusGS.jpg Sascha&KerstinCyn.jpg Pretty cool place and the town of Villavieja is a gem.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We spent a night in Villavieja at the Hotel Villa Paraiso which was a whooping $25 but it had a pool...and air conditioning... and mango trees. Mangos.jpg Next morning, we shook off our hangovers, had mangos for breakfast, and headed towards Neiva. A Tree.jpg Stopped and paid our respects to Black Philip on the way out. BlackPhilip.jpg
    Velvetdogmom, battdoc and GregDavidL like this.
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    There was a bit of traffic leaving Villavieja. Cows.jpg and then we powered south back up into the mountains. Magdelena.jpg Somewhere along the way, we stopped and had a typico lunch. Typico.jpg
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We reached San Agustin and checked into the Hotel La Gaitana. a cool place to relax and recharge. Talk about fresh meat! They had a live turkey in the grocery store. Turkey.jpg And this F'ing guy was happy to see that I came back :eek: BonerDude.JPG Everywhere you go, somebody's watching you. WatchingMyBack.jpg
  10. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Roosters. They're a fact of life in Latin America. If you're lucky, there's only one or two close by. If you're not that lucky, well, you're up for sunrise each morning. Roosters.jpg For breakfast, try this crazy fruit. You crack the hard shell like an egg and, yum, it's filled with frogs eggs! FrogsEggs.jpg Time for kickstands up. We've got 35km of dirt road ahead. "Sheet of cake!" as we say. KickstandsUp.jpg
    battdoc, Bulldog Buddy and GregDavidL like this.
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    That 35km took a good three hours as it was slick as ice...since it rains... a lot... every day. Luckily, the road isn't very technical. I didn't get any pictures since it was raining. We did come across one truck mired in the mud and a bunch of guys were trying to dig it out. I thought for sure that would be the place I dumped it in the mud but the Big Girl powered on through. GSBow.JPG GSSide.JPG Exhausting work...and then it dried out and became fun. Waterfll.JPG
    jowul, battdoc, Bulldog Buddy and 3 others like this.
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We got out of the mud and on to tarmac then headed north through Popayan and on to Cali. My riding partners had maintenance chores and tires to mount. I had a busted iphone to have repaired. Everyone was successful and after a couple of days, we left Cali and headed, this morning, South towards Pasto. Tonight we're somewhere, I dunno where, north of Pasto but they have a much appreciated pool! Pool.jpg And there's food here too! buffalo.jpg Tomorrow, we head South to Pasto then East to ride the "Trampoline of Death" also know as "Bye Bye My Life." Bucket list and all...
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We stayed in Sibundoy, a little hamlet at the East end of the Trampoline. Nice little hotel for $9 a night. HotelSib.jpg One of the benefits was the bakery downstairs. I have to say that I was disappointed to discover my pastry was filled with chicken and not jam. Breakfast.JPG After few pastries and some super sweet coffee, we headed for the "Trampoline of Death." It looked to only be about 75km but there were four water crossings we were concerned about. It had rained all night and it was still raining when we started up the mountain. I had a feeling it was going to be a difficult day.

And the the mountain claimed its' first victim. Victim.jpg Actually, it was just a kickstand mishap in soft mud, so Jason didn't get any points for a dismount. But then a truck came around the corner and nearly ran over him and the bike...so he got a few as a consolation prize.
    Velvetdogmom, battdoc and powderzone like this.
  14. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The road is narrow and steep but nicely groomed and a fair bit of traffic. Mostly trucks but some local speed demons too. Trucks have to keep up their momentum to make the climbs but the locals are just insane. I'm pretty sure the Trampoline of Death's danger comes from drivers, not road conditions. And there's plenty of evidence where drivers punched through guard rails. Guardrail.jpg We were fortunate. Even though it was raining at the bottom and slippery in spots, we had pretty good visibility for most of the ride. Slippery.jpg WetTwisties.jpg
    Velvetdogmom likes this.
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    It was an epic ride. JasonInFog.jpg RideClouds.jpg Probably three and a half hours to cover the 75kms. Including the occasional rest stop. A trucker stopped and wanted a photo with our bikes. So I thought it only fair that I got one with his rig. I can't imagine driving trucks over this route in the rain and fog. TruckDriver.jpg
  16. securefish13

securefish13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Righteous!!
    95Monster likes this.
  17. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    As we came out of the mountains, the Sun appeared. Sun.jpg And then it was over. But a fantastic morning of riding. Bottom.jpg The water crossings turned out to be a non- event for us and were easy. Only one, the last one, had any degree of difficulty. It was about a foot or so deep with fast flowing current and some pretty good sized rocks under water. But we all cleared it without any difficulties. River.jpg Ummm, that's not the water crossing...just the view of a creek from the bridge. So, one death road down. 9 more on the bucket list! Church.jpg
    Velvetdogmom and Turkeycreek like this.
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    We headed south from the Trampoline, towards the Ecuador border at San Miguel. One last night in Colombia in a little town called Puerto Asis. First lunch. Lunch.jpg The restaurant had rooms and secure parking so we settled in for a Saturday night. Hotel.jpg The little town seemed to be mostly restaurants and bars. The party started at nightfall and went until daylight! Not for us mind you. We were in our swanky rooms trying to find WeeFee. Luxe.jpg
    Velvetdogmom and battdoc like this.
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    In the morning we had a nice breakfast and headed South towards the border. Breakfast.jpg BikeParking.jpg There she is, Ecuador! Country number ten! IMG_3537.jpg
  20. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    George you were right about Salento, very tranquil town. I found a gem at La Serena Farm/Hostel. Have the whole dorm to myself for $7.80 a night. Checked out Cocora Valley today, pretty damn special. I'm still hoping to catch you in near future.

Cheers!
    motojohnny and 95Monster like this.