The Gap Year- Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was my favorite town in Colombia. There's a good ride from Salento over to Toche and out to Ibague. But if it's muddy, it's work. It's beautiful.
    Bulldog Buddy and battdoc like this.
  2. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    It had been a while since we'd done a border crossing so none of us were really excited. But the Colombia/Ecuador border at San Miguel was pretty easy. Both countries are in the same building. Migracion is even at the same counter. Get in line for Colombia exit stamp on the left and then Ecuador entrance stamp on the right. Migracion.jpg Once you have those, go towards the back of the building to cancel your Colombian TIP. For your Ecuadorian TIP, you need a copy of your Passport, Drivers License, Title and passport stamps. You can get them from the tienda in the building for 30 cents.

As easy as the border process was, it still took the four of us a couple hours to get through. BikesAtImm.jpg The thing about this border is Venezuelan refugees. It's heartbreaking to see these families moving across borders with just the clothes in their roller bags looking for a new life. I don't know what Chavez did but he's displaced who knows how many young families. Venezuelans3.jpg
  3. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The one saving grace was that UNICEF was there. Water, phone lines, internet access, charging stations and showers were available for them. Venezuelans2.jpg Venezuelans.jpg
    td63, Bulldog Buddy and Velvetdogmom like this.
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Anyway, we moved South along the edge of the rain forest. Temps, and humidity, was high so the search for a pool was underway. We found a place on I Overlander. Pool.jpg Dinner? Chicken.jpg Dinner.jpg
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Of course it rained all night. The Germans headed South then East towards Quito, taking an easy, paved route. Jason and I figured we'd take the dirt route East that follows the border and intersects the Pan Am hwy above Ibarra. The U Tube videos we had seen made the route look every bit as epic as the Trampolin. But it made for a long day... 300 kms, approximately 170 on dirt, gravel and rough surfaces. Bikes.jpg We had our morning coffee, saw our first monkey spying on us from a tree, and headed our separate ways. Coffee.jpg IMG_3583.jpg
  6. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Our route started off on decent tarmac that would switch to gravel for a few hundred yards then back to tarmac. The back and forth continued for a good 20kms. Soon as you set the bike to Enduro Pro, you're back on asphalt twisties. The views were cool though! Waterfall.jpg Then the dirt, Dirt.jpg and the climb began. Road.jpg This was shaping up to be an amazing ride.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Things were pretty cool... Clouds.jpg NiceRoad.jpg and then they weren't. Mud.jpg
  8. Velvetdogmom

Velvetdogmom n00b

Oddometer:
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I'll chalk that up to poor line choice. I should have followed the ruts, no matter how deep and messy. Trying to avoid the mudhole on what looked like hardpack was gross poor judgement. That little mistake took Jason and I a good 45 minutes to pull the bike out of the mud. Lesson learned, follow the tracks. Then we came to some roadworks where a waterfall had blasted out the road. Guys were rebuilding it but it was mostly just a rocky bed. And, I had to scrape the tractor trailer to get thru. Rocks.jpg After the mudhole and the rocks, it was smooth sailing down to the highway. Once we hit the tarmac, the rain started. I'm thankful it didn't catch us on the mountain. We headed south and made it to Finca Sommerwind, an overlander campground with cabinas. FincaView.jpg Not a bad place for a day off to clean gear, wash clothes and rest my sore back from wrestling with the pig in the mud. Finca.jpg
  10. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I think I'll pass, it rained all night yesterday and is raining right now too. I'm riding solo and don't want to be too adventurous. I'm going to ride the Trampolin del Diablo though.
    95Monster likes this.
  11. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    95Monster and Bulldog Buddy like this.
  12. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Very sad indeed, I have several refugees with card board signs in few places. I wonder if politics will ever change. I certainly hope so. These little kids deserve better world where they can mature and contribute.
    95Monster and Bulldog Buddy like this.
  13. Velvetdogmom

Velvetdogmom n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope you lit a candle while you were there.
    lifetravelled and 95Monster like this.
  14. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    In my mind, I lit several. We skipped Las Lajas to ride the Trampolin. Las Lajas was just another UNESCO World Heritage Site where the Virgin Mary periodically appears and makes miracles. I didn't think the chances of her showing up the same day as us were great so we went riding instead.
    Bulldog Buddy and lifetravelled like this.
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Finca Sommerwind was a nice rest stop. Mtn.jpg Quite a few overlanders here and a nice town across the lake. It was a bit of a walk down the hill to the kitchen (and WeeFee) so I tried out the JetBoil I've been carrying for three months! Makes a pretty good cuppa tea! JetBoil.jpg But it was time to say goodbye to my new friends and head South for Quito. Woofer.jpg
  16. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    00F188CC-7BB6-4EC4-AF05-02EBF06EF2F9.jpeg First time in the Southern Hemisphere
    Mr Suspension, BryanQ, CA Stu and 8 others like this.
  17. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally caught up to page 27 and must say that I have enjoyed your RR very much. Having grown up in Colombia I am familiar with many of the places you have gone through. I used to ride frequently (175 cc Yamaha enduro) around the Volcán de Puracé in the Popayan area. The Parque Natural de Puracé is an interesting place to visit. Thanks for taking me along.
    95Monster likes this.
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Colombia was fantastic. I was looking forward to visiting but the people and places exceeded my expectations!
    Pete_Tallahassee and jowul like this.
  19. CA Stu

CA Stu Bibamus, moriendum est. Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Great report, thank you for posting! :thumb
    95Monster and seezer like this.
  20. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. I just got back from 5800 mile trip from Trenton Il. to Escondido Mx. I took 175 from Oaxaca to Escondido. You remember San Jose De Pacifico pueblo. I stayed at La Patite hotel in Escondido. I took a Honda AT. It did well in Mexico City traffic jams and 8hrs at 90 mph. salud
    95Monster likes this.