The Gap Year: Southeast USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Tom. Staying at your place was a fine way to start the trip. Whoever recommended taking the 'Back Door' into Mexico was spot on. Heading South today, there was a lot of traffic : ) MeOnRoad.jpg
    Then I parked by this church to hit the ATM up for pesos. I tried to buy a bottle of water in an OXXO and the girl wouldn't take my $20 peso note. She took a $50 peso and gave me $30 change. I thought about that all day and couldn't figure it out until now. I had Cuban Pesos in my wallet and inadvertently tried to pass one off on her. No wonder she didn't smile. Church.jpg
  2. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Bacanora is famous for, well, Bacanora. Think of it as Mezcal's evil twin. Bacanora.jpg And after a wonderful bit of twisty mountain road there was a Military Checkpoint. A big thunderhead rolled in just in time to discourage the soldiers from any more searching and convinced me to call it a day in Sahuaripa at the Hotel Alameda. SahuaripaSign.jpg
    Angel_City_Matt and MadRider777 like this.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ha! We know you're actually David Letterman.

I knew you'd try to go incognito from fame one day and hit up Mexico on a motorcycle.
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    HotelAlemeda.jpg
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Ahh, today's tracks. North of the border I would consider this a short day. Seemed just about right! TrackToSahuaripa.PNG
    Angel_City_Matt, MrKiwi and jimmex like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice hotel I watched world cup soccer at this hotel
    95Monster likes this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you enjoyed Son 20. El camino sin oso.
    pceire32, chilejack and 95Monster like this.
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Where do I go from here? Creel?
    pceire32 likes this.
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I saw a horse, a cow, several dogs and a tiny deer but no bears.
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, go to Creel via San Juanito, then go to Batopilas, Guachochi, Parral (Hotel Moreira), then Durango (Posada San Agustin). Saludos.

EDIT: Will be a pretty long day from Sahuaripa to Creel. Basaseachic has a nice new little hotelito if you decide to moderate the pace a little bit.
    pceire32 and 95Monster like this.
  11. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Yes, at least Creel. If your budget allows you might want to try a hotel on the cliff in Divisadero, but they are quite spendy! Maybe north of $100 which is tough when you are going solo. But Creel is funky enough. On your way, stop at the Basaseachi Falls overlook. As you turn off Mex16 towards San Juanito it will be on your right less than a kilometer down the road.
  12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Yes, Basaseachic may be the stop. I want to check out the falls. Do you remember the name of the hotelito?
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, but you can't miss it on the left about 1k into town from the Mex 16 turnoff.

Edit: Hotel Basaseachic. They only take cash, but its safe and comfy.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup Hotel Basaseachic,its a couple years old now, gravel parking lot and when I was there the internet was not working. No real good places for food in that town but across from the hotel on the same side of the road is a small tienda that does roasted chicken as take out. Its a strange town lots of drunks from the mines driving endlessly up and down the main street. You can also rent a small cabin just another 1km past the hotel on the way to the falls, they ask 1ooo pesos but we got it for 800, nice fire pits with grates for cooking, there are a few butchers in town for grilling meat!
  15. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving home on 16th this month for Mexico and beyond as well. Will follow along for good info. Ride safe, maybe we will meet somewhere on the trail.
    Cheers!
  16. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my. This sounds like the way to go. Keep us up to speed. Watching indeed.
  17. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're up with you. The Boo is here, we plan to hang a photo taken by Mema and framed very nicely. We'll send a photo when it's done.
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I left Sahuaripa at the crack of 9:00a and headed South then East on Mex 16. The roads were epic, again! Nice, smooth, flowing asphalt ...until it's not. I'm used to dirt and rocks on the road. I'm even used to finding it in a blind apex. But what I'm not used to is the road going to total shit in the most unlikely places. And it seemed guaranteed that oncoming traffic will be in your lane avoiding the monster potholes in their lane. Nonetheless, Mex 16 was an awesome and long ride. Little to no traffic. Killed a lot of butterflies Butterflies.jpg
    Glad I brought paper maps because I haven't read the manual for the nav or figured out Basecamp. Paper Maps.jpg
    And of course it rained a bit. Rain.jpg
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I stopped in Yecora for brunch at the OXXO Lunch.jpg As the elevation climbed things got interesting, like those dark clouds ahead. Highlands.jpg Highlands.jpg The thing about paper maps is you need signs to back them up. I'm tired, hungry and wondering where to sleep and I get this... Sign.jpg
  20. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    The road kept going. I gotta say, three full days of amazing motorcycle roads that rival anything California has. This is great stuff! I'm not sure where I'm headed to and then... Creel.jpg
    I pushed thru Creel. Blind Warrior said there was good stuff on the rim of the canyon. I'll have to work on getting the video from Creel to Divisidero uploaded. But for now I'll have some of this while I post up Drink.jpg And watch the Sun go down from my room CopperCyn.jpg