The Gap Year: Southeast USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it to San Blas and checked into the Flamingo. Stashed the bike by the pool and headed in for some AC. FF0EA375-66FF-464F-B0C3-84FDAA106AE0.jpeg 5247560C-9585-46C9-AFC0-9BC0C14D7189.jpeg Now, I’ve been accused of not knowing how to operate the washer and dryer in my house. There’s a lot of truth in that. But now I’m learning to wash my clothes by hand. AF3B3B8B-FBF3-4F1E-AEFC-947AD6DB3567.jpeg
  2. Velvetdogmom

Velvetdogmom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks swanky...pool, AC and laundry.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. curlspoke

curlspoke n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be on a similar route a couple days behind you. I'm over in La Paz now and hopping on the ferry to Mazatlan once I get that booked tomorrow

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  4. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you get to the mainland. I’m heading toward Guadalajara for some bike maintenance.
  5. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like you found the Zote soap.......,you will do great hand washing your stuff.
    Some people report showering with the cloths on that they want to wash and then wash and remove one layer at a time.
    However my wife and I usually find a lavandería and leave our stuff in the morning then spend the day touring around town and pick our stuff up in the evenings. A lot of hotels in Mexico will take your stuff to a lavandería for you, but if you are only overnighting then the shower works better.
    What is interesting is everyone finds a way that works for them.
    Nice repot, thanks for bringing us along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. KSV

KSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey George: By the looks of it, I should have tagged along a bit longer...Great stuff my friend. You've shown me Mexico like I've never seen it.
    95Monster likes this.
  7. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    . Hahaha...that’s what I did!
    elron likes this.
  8. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    KV- the first 8 or 9 days were sport bike heaven! Copper Cyn has all the busted up twisties we hunt! And the ride from Durango to Mazatlan !!!!
  9. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    D2A75018-4747-41AE-8CA9-7BAA50828044.jpeg I left San Blas around 9:30am as I was curious about Sayulita and Puerto Vallarta. 418E0A1C-FF45-49C2-BED8-B05A9204EC19.jpeg Sayulita didn’t do it for me. Maybe it would be fun with a girl or a few friends. But riding in solo...it was crowded, traffic, no parking and really spendy hotels. I didn’t even see the beach, just got the heck outta there. All I wanted was lunch but it was a little overwhelming. So I stopped for some fruit. 134BF8A5-5B3E-440E-A0EA-5C9F67019FF6.jpeg
    StanceRC and toowoomba like this.
  10. KSV

KSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might need to do this twice.....second time as a tour guide.
    95Monster likes this.
  11. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Once hitting Puero Vallarta, I had to backtrack north on Mex200 a ways to catch the road to Guadalajara. The ride there was nice. The ride back was tough. Afternoon rains, traffic, and cold temps. It rained all afternoon and when I rolled into Tequila , I was exhausted and waterlogged! 04270E1C-0123-4DBC-AA8C-8EB345D663FE.jpeg I rode my bike into the lobby of the Hotel Jardin, got a room and got into some dry clothes. 18BFD6CA-BC69-4C3F-9D3E-1C77DE67BBAD.jpeg Then I walked across the square and had some mole. 4A8A3D3B-90D7-4B07-AA38-46578F55AB59.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    This stuff’s not so bad. Wonder if there’s a tattoo parlor about ? 38541FB5-A0E9-4446-8582-22E4100CD74F.jpeg
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Today’s tracks and elevation. 30DAC8E9-B388-409E-B48E-CEE6EF67BACF.jpeg 4660F3A1-8D9F-4AD0-90AA-9C063BD851DE.jpeg
    StanceRC likes this.
  14. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    From Guadalajara route 23 up to Zacatecas is a nice campo ride. Zacatecas is a beautiful city, especially at night when they turn on the lights. From there you can reach Guanajuato, or San Miguel de Allende, leaving you a day's ride from the Sierra Gorda.
    pceire32 and 95Monster like this.
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Perfect, Blind Warrior. That's where I want to go next! Thank you...
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This picture does not do justice for how beautiful and quite the Main Street is in front of the plaza de armas right before sun up. That is when I suggest you walk around and enjoy the downtown part of Zacatecas. It is really beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I did the exact same thing in Suyulita rode in and rode out....you missed Lo de Marcos its still calm!
    95Monster likes this.
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I’m in Guadalajara today, hanging out at the BMW dealer getting some routine service done. Its too late to head for Zacatecas so may pop down to Lake Chapala for the night then head up 23 in the morning. C2003F5C-8FF4-4593-ABEE-28BEB2150BA2.jpeg 6ACA3720-86B3-4F40-BF90-BE504D9A7FD9.jpeg E242A9CB-2543-46E7-BE84-A3885CB32200.jpeg
  19. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Not much for pictures yesterday. I spent most of the day looking at this... BMW.jpg
    While waiting, I asked the Service Advisor if I could have a set of brake pads to take with me as 'spares.' Now, he doesn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish so we used our trusty little Google Translate machines. But as I sat waiting and waiting I began to wonder: are they installing those pads? The clock kept ticking. People were leaving for the day. I was tired, hungry, miserable, you name it. By the time the bike was finally done, I had met an English speaking Sales Manager and had him interpret my bill. Sure enough, they had installed the brake pads! I kept telling myself: it's my fault I can't speak Spanish, don't blame these guys for getting it wrong. (Low blood sugar was at work) As the Sales Manager asked more questions of the tech, turned out they had only replaced the rear as front pads weren't in stock. I asked for my old rear pads, which still had 50% life, and took those as spare. Not the end of the world.

Anxious to be on the road, I went to fire up the bike and the keyless ignition wouldn't engage. Weird. I tried a couple of times and finally it engaged. Now I'm sitting in the driveway of a BMW dealer and having ignition problems. What do I do? I leave and think it's all going to be okay. And diving into 6pm rush hour traffic in Guadalajara is, in itself, not okay. Wow, a gigantic parking lot of buses, stressed commuters and small bikes. The fat GS didn't get many chances to lane split but she took what she could. Then to make things more fun, I get a dash message saying "Keyless Ignition Failure Do Not Shut Off Bike." Crap, only about an hour of stop and go traffic to go, don't stall this pig. A million thoughts are running through my head from a dead battery in the key to antennae failure. But I press on to Ajijic and once clearing Guadalajara have a nice ride in the rain. Once I stopped at my hotel, I confirm that the key fob does not work at all.
    Key Fob.jpg No biggie, I had a spare battery. But after switching batteries and it didn't work, BIGGIE. I had the emergency fob and it started the bike so I was able get to the BMW dealer 40 miles away, if I had to. (Being stuck in Guadalajara while parts were on order did cross my mind a few hundred times last night.) I noticed, while switching batteries, the fob internals were wet. Maybe moisture was causing all my drama? All I could do was leave the key open, go find a cerveza and try not to think too much about it til this morning.

After a restless night, I got up at 6am, put the fob together and when out to the bike and...bam TFT.jpg
    All is well, maybe...
  20. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the sort of thing I hate about keyless - putting all your faith in a bit of electronic gizmo, probably supplied by someone with the lowest tender ... I get paranoid about patting my pockets for the key before setting off
    Bulldog Buddy, 95Monster and Cal like this.