The Gap Year: The Yukon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 95Monster, Sep 2, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We just arrived in Santiago today, looks like we will have to check this place out. Are you still around?
    95Monster likes this.
  2. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aww, man. Sorry to miss you guys. Left Santiago yesterday and in Mendoza, Argentina today. Heading, leisurely, towards Termas del Rio Hondo. Should be there Wednesday or Thursday. In Santiago, I stayed at the moto hostel, Casa Matte. Good place, good people, good location.
    lifetravelled and joenuclear like this.
  3. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    With the bike in the shop for a few days, I had time to enjoy Santiago and try and get ahead of some housekeeping chores. The most important item on my plate is to renew the bike registration. It's registered in California at my home address. That home is rented and my mailing address is my sister's house on the other side of the country. I don't want to change vehicle registrations and driver's license to South Carolina so I'm at the mercy of my tenant to forward stray mail to my sister. I guess the DMV mail didn't make the cut. No problem, I can do it online.

When I attempt to renew the vehicle registration, a message comes up that the vehicle's 'status has changed' and I must appear in person or call. When you try and call a DMV office there is typically a 3 hour wait. But I kept trying. Eventually, I realize that when it was time to renew the moto insurance, I called the insurance company and we both agreed that US insurance was useless in South America so I suspended the policy. They, in turn, notified the CA DMV and DMV suspended my registration. No big deal, right? I'll just renew my insurance, send CA DMV proof and somehow, magically get a new registration document and sticker in Argentina. (I'll cross that bridge later.) Well, when I called the insurance company they remembered I was out of the country and when they asked where the bike was, I told them. That was bad: "Sorry, Sir, we cannot renew your insurance because the bike is outside of the USA." Oops.

So I went and got a haircut... Barber.jpg And then, someone at DMV answered the phone. I explained my situation and a woman with a voice destroyed by years of smoking coughed out a laugh and said "you shouldn't have told them the bike was outside the USA." I took that as a good sign and laughed along with her. Smokey suggested that I get a Mexican insurance policy online and DMV would honor that. Ding! I have an insurance policy for Bolivia-Chile- Argentina. She tells me that as long as the limits are equal or greater than California (in pesos, maybe), they'll take it and gives me an email address to send the documents. Sweet. Now I have to find the paper renewal, get it to South Carolina and have my sister return the form to CA DMV with payment. And God knows how or when I'll get the sticker and registration paper.

Anyway...I didn't think any of this was going to be a problem until I got back to the States and I hope to have it sorted by then. Then I crossed a border. Bye Chile.jpg
    toowoomba, powderzone, jowul and 2 others like this.
  4. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Well I’m going to watch how this rides out. I am in exact same situation, or will be; both of our bikes are CA reg and will come up for re-registration during our trip. I’ve wondered if having out of date tags on the bikes will matter at all out of country, but I’ve seen a lot of US plates with out of date tags here in Mexico. I’m using a virtual mailbox service, and can forward the tags and reg from there to my son for safe keeping (virtualpostmail.com, very happy with it.)

Most significantly, I have been waiting for some downtime to call and cancel our insurance!! I will think twice about that now, given your experience. I’ll just drop it to minimum liability coverage, and hope I don’t run into any issues, because my agent is well aware of our homeless, nomadic and out of country state at the moment.
    95Monster likes this.
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    In hindsight, I should have kept the insurance in place because the headache isn’t worth the 100 or so bucks I saved. But I still have the problem of getting the renewal sticker.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Alberta we can register for up to 2 years at a time is that a possibility in California?
    95Monster likes this.
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I had posted a thread asking about this same insurance question a couple of months ago and didn't get much of a firm opinion whether it's useful to keep US insurance or not, except that the issue you face may come up dependent upon the state you're from.

So thank you (or sorry?) for answering my questions.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying your report, though I cringe every time something fails on your GS. Your ability to maintain a good attitude (at least on the outside) is impressive.

Keep on keeping on!
    95Monster likes this.
  8. hiway4rider

hiway4rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have I missed something? Are you having issues in Chile or Argentina because of expired tags?
    Reason for asking is that I've got a ca plated bike in non-op status that I've ridden through Mexico, Central America and now is in Argentina. Think the tags expired about 3yrs ago. Haven't had any issues so far but on my way back down next week and will be riding in and out of Chile.
    Thanks,
    Bill BTW great rr
    95Monster likes this.
  9. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha we just came from mendoza, if you need any recommendations let me know. We stayed at Apartmentos Mendoza, secure parking nice size apartments but they are booked out for the next few days otherwise we would of stayed longer.
    95Monster likes this.
  10. Bulldog Buddy

Bulldog Buddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need Dapper Dan Hair Pomade.
    kirk69er, JimsBeemer and 95Monster like this.
  11. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've kept and ridden my moto in South America since 2015 on a California 2016 "sticker" with zero issues.
    My moto is registered Calif "non-operational" which is an option you have listed on your DMV renewal statement and only costs $10.00/Yr.

Why pay Calif registration fees and insurance, both of which are not valid in South America.
    The TVIP importation document issued by each Country is based on your Ownership TITLE, I've never been asked for registration.

You MUST notify Calif DMV to change Registration to "NON-OPERATIONAL.
    This certifies you will not operate the moto on Calif (aka USA) roadways.

I don't think just having your insurance canceled stops your requirement to keep paying your annual registration until you register moto " Non Op".
    SO
    If you let registration go past the "Due Date", PENALTIES start piling up and you'll get a big surprise if you try to renew registration down the road.
    95Monster likes this.
  12. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Bulldog Buddy and 95Monster like this.
  13. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    no, unfortunately.
  14. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    All of my vehicles except this one are registered Non-Op. I didn't change the moto to Non-Op since the renewal date is March 2019 and you can only change the status at renewal date. You can file an Intent to Register Non-Op form before that date. I left in September and planned to be back in the States about now so there was no point to file an Intent To Register Non-op.

My California Title has the registration expiration date on it. Gendarmes at the Argentina border pointed out that my registration was about to expire in a couple days. I laughed and said I was in a rush to get to Buenos Aires to ship the bike home.
    Velvetdogmom likes this.
  15. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I hope it won't be an issue, Bill. Entering Argentina the gendarmes at a checkpoint asked for my docs and saw the registration expiration on my title and pointed it out. I laughed and said I was hauling butt back to the USA to renew it.
  16. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    I can't complain. I've ridden this bike hard for 7 months... 20,000 miles... 4 front tires... 5 rear tires... 2 sets of front pads... 3 sets of rear pads... through rain, snow, mud, sand, dirt, gravel and dust, lots of dust. Dust is permeated into everything I have.

When the telelever shock failed I wasn't too surprised. While in service, BMW also replaced the starter button on the right handlebar under warranty. That was a surprise. (It was jammed up from the dust!) And they replaced the rear rim under warranty. (Broken spoke- I know there has been trouble and maybe even a recall. It couldn't be from riding over rocks on the rim for 5 kms, right?)
    BMW shop.jpg
    I even got my sticker up on their lock box!
    Stickers!.jpg
    The thing that's irritating me now are the locks on the panniers. They are saturated with dirt and grime and the lock tumbler -barrels pull out easily and the parts go everywhere. Fun putting those things back together at night in a campground.

For this trip, there's not another bike I'd rather be on. But I'd switch out the aluminum side panniers for soft ones.
    Bulldog Buddy, jowul, Halen and 3 others like this.
  17. securefish13

securefish13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For you bro! IMG_0345.jpg
  18. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Having the pink elephant, are ya? I'm nursing Jim Beam out of a plastic coke bottle. There's a 100% import tax on the stuff here in Argentina. Makes it rather precious.
    C185N9921X, Velvetdogmom and jowul like this.
  19. hiway4rider

hiway4rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply George,good to get recent firsthand info.
    If there's one thing I've learned traveling south of the border, it's that I really haven't learned anything. Rules and regulations are always changing and subject to interpretation.
    Logic rarely comes into play. All part of the adventure.
    Enjoy!
    Bill
    95Monster likes this.
  20. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    Just finished getting caught up on your ride report, I've really enjoyed the images and stories!

As for the aluminum vs soft panniers, I debate this idea with myself regularly.

Last May I rode down through Mexico and not long crossing the border from Texas, I had not properly secured the right panner to my bike. It decided to eject thanks to an assist from the bumpy roads while we were rolling at around 70 MPH. I had to wheel back around and locate the panner fully expecting it to have become a yardsale with my gear. Luck smiled on me that day and it remained intact and closed. The scratches and bumps added character to the case.

Three days later @SkizzMan and I were riding out of Mexico City after a serious downpour the night before. The highways were flooded with deep swells of water and traffic was bumper to bumper converging down to one lane. The size of our bikes made it an adventure lane splitting. Just before taking the exit leaving CDMX for Puebla a man in a late model ford truck decided to play bumper cars with me hitting the same panner. As I powered past him, I quickly looked back and it was still attached. A deep sigh of relief quickly followed.

With two panner adventures on just one trip, I wonder how my gear and bike would have fared if they were soft.
    toowoomba and 95Monster like this.