The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I started posting here I was working with a bunch of younger guys in Alaska and nobody else was interested in motorcycles. I thought I was THE Meandering Geezer. Well, I moved down south when I retired and rejoined the hordes of baby boomers wandering the back roads and I realized that if you took a good sized rock and chucked it really hard you would hit a meandering geezer. Probably piss him off too. They're everywhere. One caveat to the square jawed, young, jack booted heroes out there; if you see a geezer and he (or she) is not sipping tea at the nursing home and not under Sean Hannity's control, you have a dangerous situation. Geezers have nothing left to lose. If you corner a rabbit and he has no other choice, then you have a whole handful of teeth, claws, fur and attitude.

A couple of years ago I had a stroke, and got lucky. Everybody knows an unlucky victim so won't go into details but on my second day at the hospital (Orofino) I was working up the most righteous and indignant pity party the world had ever seen. They wanted me to give the walker a try. As soon as I got out in the hall there was a guy, smaller, and more wrinkled, pushing a walker toward me. He was sweating and breathing hard, and had an ear to ear grin. When he passed me he wheezed "I'm going HOME!" They had told him that if he could go to the end of the hall he could go home.

Rossi has nothing on him. He was on the home stretch. Every goddamned bit of horsepower he had was in use. His eyes did not betray what his white knuckles obviously felt. Probably a good idea to get out of his way.

And it's that particular point of view that I was hoping to highlight with this thread. So if you're too old to die young feel free to jump in.

I've had stickers made and like having them but distributing them is a pain even if you give them away. So this image has been around since the early 70's and doctored by many so I doctored it a bit and really doubt if there's any copyright on it. So if you send this picture to Sticker Mule I think it's about $60 for a hundred and you're welcome to the pic. But it's the attitude...

In Hoc Signo Vinces

[​IMG]

And if you want any stickers you get $10 off from Sticker Mule HERE
  2. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So after 9 months of a !@#$%^&* remodel I got everything tuned set and fueled and set out unchained and unsupervised. Port Angeles was unaware.

First stop was Salt Creek loop off 112.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on down to FR30 and into the woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing about this area is that there are more trees than people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ivanka. Loud valves save lives!

[​IMG]

More trees.

[​IMG]

And I think this is one of those pesky body snatcher plants.

[​IMG]

Some logging going on a couple of miles before getting to 101 but no trucks.

Then East on 101 to the Sol Duc and up FR2918

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And snow at 2400 ft. elevation. Too deep and crusty for 2wd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back down to 101 and home. About 110 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One beautiful day.
  3. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to another round of your ride abouts and great pictures you post.
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    oldwyomingdude and Suncoaster like this.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Askuse me Mr. Dammit. Isn't this from your home town?

6. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know where the sandwich eating woman lives! dd
  7. 57Stroker

57Stroker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I''ll give a go at talking at ya. I'm no wordsmith, such as yourself. I applied for my retirement last week, so I might have an extra moment or two. The magpie you sent me still fly's proudly on my bike. I hope to show you in person one day...
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well, thank you very much. Southern Idaho says you're right in the middle of it! (When the snow's gone from the passes.) I have a big one planned for the end of summer and it will be going right through your stomping grounds. Be sure to tell everyone that Idaho is a wasteland. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

[​IMG]
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mc...

As we are from the same generation, I very much enjoyed your opening comments and those since. Am not sure why you posted my image on your bike mirror. I've been there done that too may times already and have finally figured out what matters and what don't, pls excuse the vernacular. My transport has only 2 wheels but speed is low on the list of what matters anymore, relegated to exploring the many sights and wonders the good Lord has provided us. Wish you were closer as here in WNC we have some roads I know you would enjoy.

Cheers.
    pratered likes this.
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You moved... again
  12. a-round2it

a-round2it All my best thoughts come to late to share.

Oddometer:
    it's good to see The Meandering Geezer is posting again. There's going to be some interesting reading ahead.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well, you know that puddle out your door there. It goes clear down to where I am now, so don't do what I wouldn't do. Or get caught anyways.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :thumb:lurk
  15. musselshell

musselshell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was convinced that you bought the big one(not talking about the ural) I enjoyed your reports from Idaho as I lived in Idaho Falls in the early '60s. Dad worked on nuke stuff out by Arco.
    I also lived in Missoula for 14 years and my Grandad lived in Orfino so I have traveled in a lot of the places you have traveled.
    I also lived on the coast for a time so I know the change you are experiencing.
    I'm glad you're still kicking, and look forward to reading your future ride reports.
    Love your bike
    pratered likes this.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well thank you for your thoughts. Yeah, at this time of life I know more dead ones than live ones so I can appreciate your assumption. And just to prove that teenagers and geezers are not the same, I've arranged to dispose of my children's inheritance at a local motorcycle emporium. Seems I have to wait a bit though.
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    How about a 1 or 2 night rendezvous? In the absolute middle of nowhere. No nothing. Just gps coordinates.

Call it the "Burning Idiot".
  18. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A0776503-87F8-4F4B-87C0-D685663A10A7.jpeg Had such a great trip during the 2017 THAG gathering that I soloed some of the same route during 2018. Just behind me was this informative sign. I was still lost.
  19. Idahohigh

Oddometer:
    486D3895-0D52-4CEB-B9A6-CEB4EFE006C9.jpeg
    The Virginian and Ladybug like this.
  20. Idahohigh

Oddometer:
    You have ridden with me enough to realize that this is a very tired Tenere and not the obligatory crash.
    4488BE1E-61AC-4378-BB0E-0290D9747091.jpeg