The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    And thank you. Like a cook who samples a little too much of the product I'm pretty selfish in that I post and make slideshows for myself as much as for anyone else. It reinforces the memories and I get to live it all over again. And for a geezer, having people respond is a big help in avoiding the invisible person syndrome. A little while ago I told a millennial that I was a machinist for 42 years. Got a blank stare. Shoulda said alchemist. Same diff. Anyway the pic of the Superbug (that you took and sent to me) was in there as a reminder that VBOM is unfinished business. That and the Wansfel trail. But I have a monkey on my back. I completely revised the southern portion of the Great Basin trail. Renamed it the Great Basin Rim . I plan on leaving mid July, kinda why the VBOM has always been mid July. The damn passes. But the kit is all sorted - and locked down for weather. :devildogOne forecast was for single digit temps for PA next week. One nice thing about an extended lock down is that I don't have to ask permission for a trip. I get thrown out.:mulie
    bomose, Animal Instinct, LC1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Good to catch back up with your wanderings. Thanks for the effort you old Geezer! :clap
    bomose likes this.
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Lookit what the cat dragged in!. (mm pun intended). Where have you guys been prowling?
  4. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Better late than never. I like the new bike and your travel setup. Looks like a nice fall trip!
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well another high plains drifter stumbles in. So, have you been anywhere that hasn't blown down, burned down, or washed away lately. Thought we didn't notice, eh?:evil
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    :dhorse

Just can't let it go. The Great Basin Rim that is. I finally decided that if I was going to set a track around a geographic feature that you don't take a short cut half way through. So this track is set as close as possible to the actual hydrographic divide of the Great Basin. It is simply not a short cut to go through death valley in the summer. Unless it's a mortal thing. So the final track has gone up to 4800 miles total length. The percentage of dirt roads has gone down to 70%. The additional pavement is due to California, you know, "they paved paradise", but it's mostly very twisty pavement. And in the wild parts there are still times when you are 100 miles from gas. Planning on July departure from La Pine Or., heading counter clockwise and hope to time it so that by the time I get to the Wasatch the snow will be clear, maybe late July, have to watch the snow pack. It was closed after about Halloween this last year, so the window is August, September and October for the Wasatch Skyline Drive.

Kinda big.

Blue is dirt, yellow is slab. Tried to avoid freeways. I planned all the dirt for big bikes except that there's a few spots where it would be sure nice to have friends. Big strong friends. But all the sketchy parts can be avoided.

I think.

[​IMG]
    :dllama:
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the white stuff in Idaho for a couple of months then back to CA for spring then back to Idaho for the summer... is there a Geocache for @Ladybug at 349a or is that part of Frémont trail? I’m interested in the UT back to Idaho part if timing works? I did Skyline a few years ago in September, 2-3 snow spots and mud from an early winter storm, would like to do it again in better weather.
    Ladybug likes this.
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    They look at snow a little differently here, the storm of the century was melted in a week. Of course a little elevation changes everything. I'm at 21 feet ASL.

It just occurred to me that my route could be a perfect commute for you. Half in the spring and half in the fall.

And it's hard to find people to commit to a long trip like that so I'll put it up on Spotwalla and whimper enough so I might sucker somebody to accompany me on the scary parts. Hell, I'll be going down the Angeles Crest Hwy. Then right smack through Las Vegas. By then it will be nice to relax in Nevada desolation where the thing most likely to kill you is rain. Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, so a pretty thorough survey of the west.
  9. EGR

EGR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Thanks. Just found your work. So far in the boonies we just got barely functional communications this summer.

Your page one intro hooked me. A place for geezers who can do apostrophes, objective case & ride.

I subscribe to the idea that one’s life includes the pre-birth period. That allows me to claim, presently, 77 years moto experience.

It’s over 40F this morning. Soaking wet. KLR before 1400 hrs nap time...;)
    Metalcarver likes this.
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And welcome aboard! Or um, thanks for letting us on, or... It's like Arlo said, if ten of us marched on to this here forum singing the Alices' Restaurant Massacree in three part harmony, they might not understand, but they WILL take note.

77 years... hm. Weren't they into steam back then?
    ktjim likes this.
  11. EGR

EGR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually...funny what sticks. I think I do remember a bit of excitement going to watch last passenger steam, South Orient Line, West bound from San Angelo. Maybe that engine is still on the job in Chihuahua?
  12. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I was being sarcastic about the steam but railroads are in the family blood. My grandfathers brothers were engineers on the run from Ogden, Utah over Donner Pass. They put on extra engines in Ogden because Nevada is not all that gentle. They were with Southern Pacific and preferred the cab forward monsters because of the tunnels.

[​IMG]

In 1966 I was a baggage handler working off the extra board at Union Station in Ogden when the last baggage car carrying mail came through. After that it all went by truck or plane. And to think I was there for history on account of the regular guy being hung over. Can't help it if I'm lucky.

Actually, if I could have gotten on any of the rolling jobs I might not have left.
  13. EGR

EGR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. Sarcasm is the geezer’s elixir (miriam- webster def 2)

2. photo of your great uncle’s Big rig is beyond cool.

3. My Grandfather’s rig
    upload_2020-1-25_11-32-10.jpeg
    Matador Land & Cattle Co.

About ‘25 he started unloading rail cars literally beside Santa Rita #1. When I knew him first he was Honcho machine welding well service shop for entire company ops. Couple hundred wells. Nepotism. My first paying gig was bounty hunter in the big shop. Birds nesting & defecating on equipment. About first grade after school Daisy & I went to work. Nickle each. Serious money. He helped me start his Cushman. Oil field & desert 360...

4. Your Slideshow is category one.
    bomose likes this.
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Actually that's one like they drove. Got it off google but I don't think that there were that many made. This is my grandpa in the '30's. The big point of his year was the Pioneer Days Parade in Ogden. For a while he was police commissioner in Ogden. Everybody on 25th street knew him by his first name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's my dad in about 1925 in Moore, Idaho. My great great grandfather Thomas Jenkins was a Daanite in cahoots with Porter Rockwell and owned a ranch in Moore. My great grandmother (daughter of third wife) told my dad that they always had a fresh saddled horse waiting in the corral and quite often in the night she could hear a rider come in hard , slam the gate and be off. She had to care for the used up horse. Brigham Young had a really big pony express and could get news from just about anywhere in two days at most. And dispense justice.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And I keep talking about my big trip but geezers repeat themselves a lot . This is another attempt at making a google earth movie. This time its of the Skyline Drive in Utah. This is only ten miles of a hundred mile stretch that it sounds like@Bob went down.

This section of road is all above 10,000 feet. Looks like it's going to be like the Gravelly Range on steroids. This is where the snow sticks around sometimes all year.

16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Every once in a while I experience a strange phenomena. Stray bits of cash and forgotten (!) funds can gather together, and if during cabin fever, can form a pustule that vomits its contents into the internet. In this fortunate episode of extramarital farkelingus this vomited back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Busy hands keep you distracted, calmed, the overwhelming tension you have :devildogfrom not strangling the life :drif out of someone who desperately needs it :ksteve slowly melts away.

Busy hands are happy hands, :jumpbusy hands are happy hands, :jumpbusy hands are happy hands :jive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheeeeeee

[​IMG]

Put on a 19" rim and then a Duro 307 4.00-19 same as on the Ural. It is exactly the same diameter and maybe 1/2" wider but more importantly to me is the extra beef. The trip to Death Valley had some pretty eye opening bumps. It has sidewalls that are recommended for heavy sidecars like the Ural. I have conducted some serious destructive tests on them with @Idahohigh as witness. Have yet to fail and not sure I want to go there. The 90/90-21 just seemed a little puny for the africa queen plus sidecar and ballast. Of course the fancy hand turned front axle that I had to wait 6 weeks on had a little top hat welded on to one end with a bolt with big washer to draw the fork arms together and down on the bearings + spacers, and, the tophat popped right off. I think the bolt on the other side is 10mm is all. Great big gob of weld on the end of the 6 week shaft and no penetration on the top hat. Alloy steel prolly 4140 has to be preheated to weld right... I swear the bike was made by a committee. I met the guy that bent up the frame, Josh, pumping gas in Jordan Valley, Oregon. He broke out laughing when I pulled up and proceeded to tell me a bunch of stories. <sigh>

I don't want a pickle. Just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Done. Went to a 2.15 wide wheel for the 19. Family thinks it was a lot to do about nothing.

[​IMG]

I don't suppose their lack of enthusiasm would have anything to do with my priorities concerning the new Subaru...

[​IMG]
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    That wheel and tire look fabulous for the AT! :clap

I'm guessing though that the knobbies will wear pretty quickly and not sure you really need knobbies up front for touring in the dirt. I use a street tire up front on my rig and it does fine in the dirt.

So . . . when that tire wears out, consider the Avon Speedmaster Mk II 4.00x19. It'll do 10,000 miles easy. Nice square profile too which works great with leading links.
    [​IMG]
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  19. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Why thank you, this was a case of bird in hand. I had one and the tube for the Ural, which only got about 1k km last year. Let's say I've done some embarrassing things on the Ural and the tires didn't (hardly) show any damage. I have to do some handling checks before the next stage of my frothing foaming cabin fever madness abates. I. E. (that is) - whatever? Let's say it may be a symptom of something you don't want to admit to...

It will fit:

[​IMG]

Deestone 502 6.00-16i s 28.7" diameter the 15/70-18 is 26.25" in diameter so will have to go from 42t to 45t or 46t sprocket but the carcass width is 7" so will fit. That's the size they use on WWII jeeps. I'll will also have to reset the lean out but WTF, it's cabin fever. Buchanan's has plain steel 16" x6" rims and will punch the rims and make the spokes for a Honda hub. Then there's the tub shock. So stiff on the lightest setting that jumping up and down on the car will barely move the suspension. I'm thinking of adapting a monroe max air or something like that.

Unless I get distracted by a sunny day ... or a squirrel.

Or the fever abates...
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    MC,

I've been so completely non-plused by the ATV and sidexside classes in Dakar Rally over the years, I wish they would simply do away with them both. All else is first rate if you ask me. And, since you're asking ME, (did anyone really ask me anything?), I wish they had a 2-man hack in Dakar. And, maybe they would if we got a camera droning footage of you out there this summer on the Great Basin. Just sayin....

Lacing a nice new wheel is perfect cabin fever medicine! Especially after Port Angeles snow was making national news for a week. My Takasagos on Casper are holding up perfectly after 20k mostly offroad miles, including the 3rd and 4th gear explosions through hamper-sized prickly pear colonies (coincidentally) just outside Baker near GB National Park.

I pity the terrain which dares get in your way, Good Sir!

Rally on,

Stovey