The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't have to move them. I just made the web page and link to them from there. doesn't disturb already posted stuff. I would hate for a behavioral health professional to look at my normal organization.
    Ladybug likes this.
  2. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, I'm not older than dirt, but it still had that new smell when I was a kid. I don't think I can offer any criticisms when someone goes to that much work to create a route and then shares it without waiting to be asked! More likely I'll be asking "What road is that?", "Has anybody ever gone over the mountain that way?" etc... If you ever invite a mental health expert over, plan ahead and sell tickets! I always like the look on their faces when they realize how "normal" people live.:lol3
    Ladybug likes this.
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Just my normal flippant self, . But yeah, a lot of time but I mess with Google Earth and some people play solitaire. I knew a guy who recorded all his games and wins an losses for about ten years, for solitaire. So for ten years, that particular segment of the day when you have to kill a little time or you are waiting for someone , I fire up google earth and some people fire up solitaire. I'll zoom in until I find a dirt road then examine it as much as a satellite will let you. Looking for two track, you can tell if it is used or not. Look to see if it's maintained, dozer tracks, culverts, bridges mean it's worth something to somebody so I find the beginning and end of said road, set two points, and let GE trace directions, then save that as a kml file. After a while there's enough of those little lines that you can stitch them together. And then those nice young men in their clean white coats will give me a fresh piece of paper!
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And put up collections of Idaho, Nevada and Oregon roads on the site.
    waylongway and Ladybug like this.
  5. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW...:yikes Thanks...!!

My map is FULL....:raabia
    20200330_172606.jpg

Out for some Isolation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stay well.....
    Metalcarver and TheAdmiral like this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I don't know your area but kind of thought that the Shasta area would have more snow this time of year.

Looking through to the other side . Plague willing I'll be headed south from LaPine mid July trying to time the Wasatch for after the snow clears. Looks like the trail is not that far from Shasta, goes through Lassen NF.
    waylongway likes this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Added Nav points in GPX to the GB Rim trail.
  8. waylongway

Oddometer:

Last month, I was up on the west side and things looked dry like mid-August (BAD) and logging trucks still coming down the hill. We have got some much-needed snow these last few storms Thank God...! But need MORE...

Spent a lot of time upon the Eastside in the "DR" days...Had more flats over there than anywhere else....:scratchLassen has a lot of pumice roads that can get deep but keep the dust down and should no problem for 3 wheels...:D

Getting back out into the wild has a whole new meaning now...:hmmmmm
    20200331_151311.jpg 20200331_151245.jpg
    Metalcarver likes this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I clicked "like" and I really don't like dry forests. 34 years in Alaska . Almost as scary as California.
    eaglescan and waylongway like this.
  10. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Wife's dad lived in Anchorage 52 years. And she spent half her life going back for the run.
    When men were men and fish were FISH.....
    20200331_165638.jpg
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Then riding most of Idaho and Montana it's almost 50/50 old burn/green forest.
    waylongway and LC1 like this.
  12. waylongway

Oddometer:
    One of my (spots) 100 miles south...
    Metalcarver likes this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And looking at all that regrowth around those grave sites, it's going to happen again.
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Idle time so I put together a really nice route in northern Utah. It is a traverse of the north slope of the Uinta Mountains. 93 miles of continuous dirt, high altitude alpine Utah.
    North Slope Traverse Uinta Mountains
    Muscongus and waylongway like this.
  15. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you for sharing your research and the routes you have created. This one is going to be added to my "things to do" folder.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And another. I have done all of this, just not all at once. There is no reason to take the highway in East Idaho.

East Idaho Big Bike Boogie
    waylongway likes this.
  17. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you get to it.
    Ladybug likes this.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    My list is getting longer and I love it. :clap

Sure, I'll let you know however it might be a while since my plans for the next two years continues to have more and more things added.

With being retired now I have more time to do these rides but my budget might get in the way. :lol3 And with things being on lockdown right now that's taking away from some of the riding season. It has to be done though, so I'll work on being patient.
  19. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Do you miss Idaho....?
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I miss the Idaho I knew 50 years ago. No matter where you go in the US the cold hard fact is that there are twice as many people as 50 years ago. To quote Pogo "We have met the enemy and he is us". I could pick an intersection in downtown Seattle, Anchorage, Portland, SLC, Denver, Omaha, Cleveland, San Diego, El Paso, or Bozeman and take a picture and you would not be able to tell me which place it came from. Haven't been farther east than Atlanta but I have my suspicions. And pretty much all the small towns in the west have had their old downtowns and mainstreets surrounded by supercenters and giant parking areas and industrial stuff. All new housing is in prepackaged oversized stick houses with garish architecture on tiny lots and almost universally the wealthier you are the higher up the hillside you have to build your house and the more ridiculous your driveway. end rant/}

We chose PNW on climate. Still not used to the population density and I'm in one of the "small" towns. But close to wilderness and ride all year long. Unless I'm locked down and spend all my time staring at the big eye on my desk.