The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went for the little ones. More tender! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    [​IMG]
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 8 years old I went catfishing w/dad alot... One day I caught this like 8 pounder. My new name was "Catfish" till I was almost 13...:fpalm
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well that one was a sockeye.

Naw...
    black top bob likes this.
  4. grimsweeper

grimsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished reading complete thread, visiting vicariously your travels on Google maps. We are under stay at home directive, so spring trip to South Dakota (would have been first moto camping trip) cancelled. Family vacation (wife & three dogs) to PNW also on hold. Trip to Moab in September, hopefully. I thought I was only one who read Carlos Castaneda.
    black top bob and waylongway like this.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there are so many cabin fever springs being wound tight that when this thing blows over there is going to be a tremendous cloud of dust from a gazillion motos firing up simultaneously. Yes, on Carlos. There were way more than a gazillion people reading him fifty years ago and when I went back and read some of it again, I realized I missed a lot of the good parts. Perspective I guess. And I very much hope that the thread is not complete. There's a whole lot of us that have been rode hard and put away wet that have stories and I'm always eager for more.
  6. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Metalcarver: [Yeah, there are so many cabin fever springs being wound tight that when this thing blows over there is going to be a tremendous cloud of dust from a gazillion motos firing up simultaneously.] I propose a coast to coast simultaneous light off and engine revving for one minute. It would be a declaration of intent and a completely inverted moment of silence. 'Course by the time we suit up the highway would be jammed with motor-Homers driving ten under while they fiddle with the regulator on their oxygen bottle.....dd
    NSR400 and Metalcarver like this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Therapy, not a cure, but headed west along the strait on Friday. Highway 112

Pillar Point

[​IMG]

I was going to head down FR30 and maybe up to the lookout but lots of truck tracks coming out of there so headed on past Pysht to FR3006, an old logging road that goes from the Burnt Mountain road over the hill to FR30. Like a lot of the logging roads, it stays open because people use it, not because of maintenance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That little tree close to the bike in the center of the picture is about 100 feet tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got over to the dark side of the mountain, everything was dry but only down about 1/2". Those Shinko big blocks don't have very good sideways traction. I might get as much as 2500 miles out of it. With all due respect to my Ural I really believe that 94 hp to one wheel will propel you better than 41 hp to two wheels. But I'm not selling the Ural.

Oh yeah, I put a truck box on the back of the car and moved the gas and water directly above the wheel. The car is so light that you can really feel the weight distribution unlike the Ural where if it is handling funny a couple of guys will have to get out of the car. The box is pretty light for a truck box but perfect for the sidecar. The nose of the enduro sidecar acts like the big bubble on the front of a semi trailer and still got ~35 mpg at 60 mph on the highway.

I should have taken a picture down the washout. There was actually room to get the outfit past with whole inches to spare, it's just that there's something about 200 feet of free fall that make me a little unnerved. Age I guess. And no, you do not fight your way downhill. Not in this country. Sometimes gravity is a really good friend and you don't want to turn it into your enemy.

[​IMG]
  8. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how this thread showed up in my email notifications, but I read the whole thing through this morning. I also identify as a geezer (on DRZers) and sidecars. Way to much history, mostly failures, to talk about now.

However, I woke up one day during this pandemic, looked at all the dead motorcycles and sidecars and said "enough". No more working on stuff, pick one or two, get them running and go travel.

Can you believe one of the dead projects I gave away was a KLR tug with a DMC Enduro sidecar (DMC, another long story). I'm maybe kind of sorry I did that after reading this thread. The bikes I decided to stick with are my two DRZ Es, one plated and one green sticker and my 06 GearUP.

drzmule.jpg sidecarfun2012.JPG

Anyhow, Looking at your Big Basin Circumnavigation Map, I live right off the Angeles Crest Highway in Wrightwood. I'll buy you a beer when you get here.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I remember an old Chevy Chase movie (Caddyshack?) anyway Chevy was at a garden party and knocked over a glass on a fancy champagne table, tried to catch it, grabbed a couple more and it all ended up in a pile. My motorcycle career is like that. I only report the successes. Not sure about this year with the bug and by the time the passes are clear it should be about peak pandemic. Already people are freaking about out of state license plates. But when the coast is clear I might have to take you up on the offer. Thank you.

Farkelingular therapy is excellent for whiling away your remaining funds.
    black top bob likes this.
  10. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Already people are freaking about out of state license plates. But when the coast is clear I might have to take you up on the offer"[Metalcarver]
    Steal the CA plates off the cars before the Health Dept sends them to the shredder. I'm going to, and put them on every Prius in PT. Should reduce the traffic at the start of your ride. dd
    Metalcarver likes this.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    It would only take a couple of little bridges and traffic would be much more manageable. Sure a lot of rv's trailers and boat trailers heading west. Driving a bit more manic than usual. If that's possible.
  12. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a ride down the forest roads along the Canal Thursday and noticed literally dozens of RV's, trailers, suv's and even motorcycles with camping gear on board. While I sympathize with tourist dependent business' we need to be cognizant that every single case of the creeping crud got here on the highway from the city. Scouts are already being sent out from infested areas, I saw tents set up side by side on the 2510rd just South of the Duckabush bridge. I was too scared to stop and check for their Olympic Peninsula stamped Visa's.:deal
    Metalcarver likes this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    :hide

I guess cheek by jowl on the Duckabush is socially distant from under the freeway on the east side.
  14. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi MC

In the spirit of your first post, a few things cropped up that got me motivated to get on the road again.

First, not getting any younger, turn 69 next month. Stuff is starting to hurt that never hurt before and I dont see it getting better over time.

Second, we bought our place in Wrightwood back in 2005 so we could go jeeping and riding. Guess what ... something always came up and the jeep, sidecars and bikes sat, that something was stuff like frame off remodeling of the cabin and our guest house, building a pole barn, blowing up the engine on my GearUp, etc, etc.

Then the C19 thing. Got to really think about priorities while stuck at home and fitting the profile of C19's favorite customer. Plus having the time to think about all the things on my bucket list, mostly travel by 2 or 3 wheels around the western US and Baja. Humm what am I waiting for? On the plus side, I have lost about 45 lbs eating solely my wife's keto cooking.

Third, while locked up we came across the "Itchy Boots" series of videos on Youtube. Noraly a 32 yo Dutch girl has been out traveling the world by herself on a RE Himalayan, a 410cc 25 hp bike. Her videos have become my wife and my favorite thing to watch on TV. So if she could do it, why cant I on my DRZ adventurer tourer? I dont want to go fast, I want to go slow and see!

Finally, I came across this video and it has become my rallying anthem to get out and get going. I play it when I need a little push to get off the couch. Enjoy.
  15. NSR400

NSR400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Itchy Boots" series of videos on Youtube. Noraly a 32 yo Dutch girl

She is interesting.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:

I think I just heard the distinctive click of another safety being thumbed - off.

And as far as losing weight, yeah, I tried it. Just didn't get the proportions right. Same weight as when I got married but somehow just doesn't look right. And instead of that bricked up greek god look seems like somebody took after me with a putty knife.

And yes again, not many youboob motorcycle vids I haven't clicked on. And if that lady decided to do something, one should not get in her way.
  17. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, pal. I've been down and out for a while, kind of homeless for a short but when did you switch out hacks, did you write about it, and I'm guessing you have healed up. Hope so. And someone in the VA clinic asked me what the "bird" on my screen meant. Be safe.
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well, down and out can cover some rough ground. Good to see the leaping motorbike again. VA clinic says a whole other story. The more the better to huddle here and avoid feeding the magpies. Welcome home!

And yes, to make a long story short I now have two sidecar outfits and still carry the cane to fend off adoring women.
    Mcgee likes this.
  19. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, where did my cute little butt go?..The ladies loved it....
    Now just a bunch of saggy spot in my jeans...
    Jay Leno did a story on Urals tonight....Something about easy to reverse up and down?.............:-).....
    Metalcarver likes this.
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So I ran screaming out of the house today and went on a little 100 mile trip. Yeah, I know, they can't hear you in your helmet...

So off to the side of a side road off FR28 ... omens.

[​IMG]

Which I had not seen before but fits with the mood of the week. The road is just a logging access but goes to some nice views.

[​IMG]

I got rid of the Shinko Big Block before it was worn out. Effing dangerous on a sidecar outfit. I went to the Mitas E-07 and it has more traction on everything. I got the Shinko for Death Valley and it felt very secure and good traction there. Then there's Death Valley roads and if you start out with knobs, in 200 miles you have gnobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then back down to the Upper Dungeness area on the main road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on up 2909 heading for the only place on the OP with clouds. My wife didin't see any all day at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trillium

[​IMG]

Violet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to put a sweater on.

[​IMG]

And working my way back down the Little Quilcene to 101

[​IMG]