The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very scenic for sure.
    black top bob likes this.
  2. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok. Outstanding photos. Your rig pops. Now, is that the biggest 8 track tape player in the world in the box or an airconditioner? And, was it difficult to install the hack frame to the bike? I don't think I'm smart enough to attempt it but, since I've recuperated I'm thinking about it. Inquiring minds want to know.
  3. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    An 8-track? Wow. I really like your mind. I mean CCR simply doesn't sound right unless it's on 8-track

As far as the rig goes it was built by DMC sidecars and attached by them. Many $$$ . I really think you could get enough info online to DIY. Probably the best way dolar wise to get into hacks is to get a used one. That way anything that was going to break already has and the owner survived long enough to sell it. It is very easy to set up a hack so that it will kill anyone who tries to drive it.

When I got mine I got the fancy fiberglass seat. Really nice looking but it was meant as an enduro seat and not so easy to get stuff into and out of. I'm using the outfit for what it was not designed for. As sidecars go it is pretty light so the cargo is a large percentage of the total weight. I always carry 5 gallons gas and 5 gallons water and a grunt load of tools for ballast so I moved them more over the sidecar wheel instead of at the rear of the car. That really improved the handling. I was thinking that I might need a heavier spring on the bike but moving the weight closer to the cg and cranking in a lot more rebound damping and now it feels more nimble than the Royal Enfield I used in 3 wheel training. The box is an under frame truck box I got off Ebay for $120 delivered. Very light, so that is where the camping gear, clothes, cases of liquid refreshment, storm gear, scuba gear, marshmallows and potato chips go.

[​IMG]

those extra clamps on the struts are for my 10 foot tarp pole.

[​IMG]

I use the ratchet strap on the cans because the "overland" carrier is not strong enough for sidecar duty. There are eye bolts inside of the boxes that the gear is strapped down to so the boxes themselves are not holding the gear in, just a protective shell. In the nose I carry Maasdam rope puller + 100 feet of rope, scissor jack. Another tool box nests on top of the front one with camera stuff. The fiberglass and paint at DMC are absolutely first rate. That fender is stout enough to stand on except it would mess with really nice paint.

So a much tidier ( and quieter ) package than last fall.

[​IMG]
  4. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was up there riding just the other day on the same roads! Such beauty everywhere! Btw, did you come across areas where people are dumping there garbage? I counted five different places where there was a significant dumping going on! :dirtdog Thanks for the pic's!
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Whoever is squatting at the bridge by the Dungeness campground has a full blown industrial gen set/ trailer parked next to the RV. I saw some bike tracks but the only traffic was little cars heading to the trailheads.
    black top bob and Mcgee like this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you know exactly how high the snow line is and if we had good enough satellite pics we would see chubby little knobby tracks probing the limits. Springtime in the Rockies. You had to be there to understand.
    black top bob and TheAdmiral like this.
  7. black top bob

Oddometer:
    CCR rules. I'd surely kill myself if I tried to fabricate one. I tried to make my own dirt bike back during the Eisenhower era out of angle iron and a Tecumseh engine. It collapsed heading down a ravine. I still got the plate in my head. lol
  8. LC1

LC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CCR on 8 Track
  9. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still have 3 cases of 8 tracks & a player..CCR is probably there..+ Iron Butterfly?
    dickosaurus and black top bob like this.
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And probably a few that you would never admit to. Even under duress.

You kind of wonder about this generation:

The poetic - "In the desert, you can remember your name"

The profane - CUZ THAR AINT NOBUDDY FOR TA GIVE YA NO PAIN.

<sigh>
    LC1 and black top bob like this.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    "A Horse with No Name" was "a metaphor for a vehicle to get away from life's confusion into a quiet, peaceful place".

You guys are taking me back to my younger years. Any Led Zeppelin in that lineup? :lol3
  12. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Mmm.

She's buy-ay-ying a highway to heaven

(?)

:kumbaya

:augie
  13. pshell

pshell n00b

Oddometer:
    I can relate to the "meandering geezer" and never giving up. I went 30 years without a motorcycle. I retired retiring in 2016 and in 2017 at 68 years old, I bought a 2015 650 V Strom. After nearly 19,000 miles, I have had no regrets. I live in Tennessee and have ridden in Tn, Ky, Al, NC, SC, and northern Ga. Last year I built a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer to camp in and haul my motorcycle. I recently spent a month (for best rates) in an RV park near Blue Ridge, Ga and rode that area and am planning to do some State Park hopping and tent camping for a week. I just can't see sitting and waiting for the Grim Reaper. When I get to where I can't hold up the V Strom, I will get me a Grom and ride some more. Maybe later, I can post some pictures of my rides on this post. I say "Never Give Up".
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I had about 20k on my strom when my brain went blooey. I sold it to a nephew who doesn't ride it, which is sad because they really are nice bikes. But judging by your itinerary you need to head west young man. I flew over Tennessee once and there's too many trees. Once you get to Nevada you'll see what I mean. You can see them coming from 50 miles off. Now that, is social distancing.
    Ladybug and black top bob like this.
  15. black top bob

Oddometer:
    I was sixty-five when I did the TransAmerica Trail on a Kawasaki KLX250. Outfitted a DR650 five years ago and it's bullet proof. Then a brain bubble slowed me down, now Covid19 and looking at Metalcarver's Hacks for sure but I'm in the east and way too many trees and cars. Take lots of pictures.
    LC1 likes this.
  16. black top bob

Oddometer:
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Just visited the event page and and wow, that's a lot of red ink. Maybe this is the year for long distance solo rides... I'm thinking my rim trail is really two different trips. From Alturas to Vegas, the north route for gnarlyish bikes and for the southern half get a Wing or a Tri-Glide.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Events continue to be canceled and I suspect more will be as we move along. I have my fingers crossed that Oregon will go into the stage that will allow for my event to take place in John Day, OR. Since it is attracting a small number of people I'm hopeful it will not have to be canceled.

Yes, this summer would be a good time to take the route you have laid out.
  19. pshell

pshell n00b

Oddometer:
    I have thought about what you said. I do like all the trees. And as for Nevada and 50 miles to a destination: Too many straight boring roads before you get there. I prefer all of the curvy, hilly roads in the southeast. I can go 5 miles and be on good curvy scenic roads and stay on them most of the day. That is my kind of riding. If you drew a 200 mile circle around my town, there are enough roads and back roads to keep me busy for a few years and scenery and interesting places everywhere.
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I should talk. I live in a rain forest. Sometimes it's like a dog team where if you're not the lead dog the view never changes. And I don't think there is a better place to be. I have a pretty good 200 mile radius too but sometimes, at least for me, I have to cast off. It's like after a week under way, things are sorted. If it was going to break, it did. There's a rhythm , you're more of a high plains drifter, "Just passing through, ma'am." I wonder how many people get to the end of a BDR and feel like they really had a shot at the title but the coach pulled them back...

But Nevada is the most mountainous state in the U.S. They just put the highways in the most boring spots imaginable. Right now it's a long day away and with plagues and stuff it has become more of a mythical land of legends. And I have only seen Tennessee from 30,000 feet which is quite a long way to poke my head up my butt.

Curves are good. Anywhere. Send pics!