The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Allen6276

Allen6276 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey nice forest on background looking cool
  2. mkweaver

mkweaver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to ride that road ever since I got my bike. My first trip on that road was in the 60s.
  3. V1ROT8

V1ROT8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle with the side car is amazing! Wow!
  4. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    We didn't get the whole story. That Tenere does not nap unless it has earned it. Under way this is about as close as you get to Mr. IH.

[​IMG]

Of course we all get stopped dead in our tracks occasionally.

[​IMG]
    Traxx, thirsty 1, klaviator and 7 others like this.
  5. spinoeca

spinoeca n00b

Oddometer:
  6. spinoeca

spinoeca n00b

Oddometer:
    Metalcarver- Also from PA and looking to ride those two FR you show images of. My local dream is to work my way from Sequim over to Hoodsport/Lake Cushman via FR.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Been there. Over the divide. And heading back there soon. Watcha riding? You in PA or Squirm?

It's just that with an accomplice I don't get all the blame.

I believe these are pics of that section between Sequim and L. Chapman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Being all sneaky like I split early in the morning for a run. Something about the raceway exhaust makes the sneaky part a little difficult. Headed over to Sequim and south. The trip was about 20 miles of dirt but the little spur above Blyn is very pretty and paved. Slab Camp rd, NF 2875, NF2878, NF2870, NF2880 and Palo Alto Road to just outside of Sequim. And lots of little roads going off who knows where that maybe solo is not so pretty smart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that people from Idaho notice is that there are a whole shitload of trees. And you can take just as many pictures as you want but there tends to be a certain similarity unless there's a hole in the trees. Then you can look over the edge a see what you've been driving next to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cell phone pics. Shopping for a new camera. <sigh>
  9. nomadicbrett

nomadicbrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I spent a few days exploring around Sol Duc last fall. Love that Ural. That Deadhead sticker gives the bike extra class.
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Before you get all excited about surviving to geezerhood, take particular note of where the doc says if you starve your ass off and lose some weight you might not croak as soon. So I did and got down to where I thought I'd be in fighting trim. Alas, that weight was when I was regularly slinging steel and hammering on shit. Remember those abominable muscles? With geezers they spread and try to spill your guts out, the net result is that you have no waist. Now please refer to line 1 above where it refers to your ass. You starved it off right? Now as you stand there looking like an oddly colored flamingo and your pants are piled around your ankles, remember, we are tool users. Get some suspenders before you embarrass yourself.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Did you buy long term care insurance? And you're a geezer? Really? My dad spent his last five years in the best retirement home ever. The veterans home on the west side of Ogden is the best I have ever seen. So my dad, a construction engineer spent his last five years being wheeled to bingo games, and well meaning out-of-tune folk singers, and sunday school by well meaning people who talk baby talk to him. The big part of the day was meals so he gained 100 pounds while listening to incoherent frightened dying people complain. All the while he was sharp as a tack. Looking out the window to where he spent his active life and unable to reach it.

And you're saving for this? My definitions of alive and dead are different.

Then look at how much that costs and how nice of a bike you could have had.
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    True, all of it.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Man I was on a roll. I was about to dip into politics and thought better of my BP and off to the woods.

Down Hwy 112 to FR 30 and into the mountains. A lot of haze but warm, 70's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And up the side on FR 3067

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The north side of North Point mountain. Looking north across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Vancouver Island.

[​IMG]

Cougars and bears and bigfoots as far as the eye can see.

[​IMG]

Looking south from North Point Lookout.

[​IMG]

Looking west that's Hwy 101 and we're north of it.

[​IMG]

Crescent Lake.

[​IMG]

And down the south side to Snider Work Camp.

[​IMG]

And a break at the Klahowya Campground.

[​IMG]

And then poking around on the S. side of 101 I found my next little project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I've run into a lot of really nice camping places back in the forests far far away from the cheek by jowl camping arrangements in the Park. There's enough riding to occupy quite a few days. And I know it's going to get more crowded in the summer but the only traffic I saw was a single forest service truck on the north end of FR30. Well, then there's the highway but that's where they live. But still, in Idaho I would have had several near misses with ATV's, probably had to cross a mud truck wallow , and pissed off a rancher who was pushing cows down the road. But for the amount of people living on the peninsula I have not seen the pressure on back roads that I would have guessed.
    bomose, joelee, klaviator and 12 others like this.
  14. GeoffMont

GeoffMont Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good old lake crescent! Have camped there many a times! I miss the PNW!
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I spent a year living in an apartment across from the grocery store in Leadville and dined regularly at the brass ass.. Worked at Climax 5 Shaft 600 level, employee # H 11749. (don't ask why I remember that) The mountain's probably gone by now. Hell, it's just as nice there as here - for two months a year.
    Geezerguy likes this.
  16. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Wait till this weekend; that might change. :lol3
    Live2ride2day likes this.
  17. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Ural. I bought one a year ago but due to arthritic hands I had to sell it. I'm in my 40's. Doc said he has never seen such arthritis in such a young person. I did NOT want to sell my Ural but the dry clutch was too much work so I reluctantly let it go.

I have been trying to talk myself into a new Ducati Mulitstrada 950 with the juice clutch and have yet to pull the trigger. Last night I either suffered an ocular migraine or was having a stroke. I was 99% certain it was the former but went to the ER anyway. I am sure my bill will be at least $1,000 even with my crazy expensive insurance. That $1,000 would have paid for side cases on that new 950. So while it turns out I only had an ocular migraine, your opening post rang true with me. I'll head to the local Ducati shop and see if they can bring in a juice clutch 950. If they can, I'll plunk down some cash and maybe see you on the peninsula this year. Riding days for all of us are numbered, we just don't know what that number is.

NC
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Check out the Honda Africa Queen. People have a lot of good to say about that dual clutch. Don't know if a thumb throttle is legal on a motorcycle but you can tie the brakes together hydraulically for foot operated. Then there's this guy over in Buckley who will slap a sidecar on pretty much anything with two wheels so then ya don't even have to put your foot down.

As far as hospitals go. What they charge, who they charge, who they let bleed out in the waiting room is all subject to rules I have yet to understand. And the only people who could give you a straight answer are the nurses but they're running so hard it's hard to catch them. Then if you don't have any insurance they then double the charge. And if you're an American, don't get hurt in Canada. I was charged $500 to allow them to treat me and then I got a bear hug, "You have some broken ribs" and sent on my way. {/end rant}
  19. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metalcarver,
    I followed you when you were in IF. And, you’ve gotten off to a great start now that you are on the Olympic Peninsula. It’s your thread, if you need to rant occasionally, it’s fine with me. I may not agree with everything you say but, I’d say you’ve earned the right to say it and I’ll listen. Besides, the title of the thread, Geezer Diaries, should forewarn any snowflakes that they may encounter some hard earned, age wizened opinions.
    I’ve admired your qrit and dedication, keep riding and keep posting!
    Thanks,
    Ed.
    oldwyomingdude and LC1 like this.
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I believe I am going to be blasting my way down through your neighborhood in August. Part of my route is going to be from Smith Fork to Cokeville and then up on the ridge between there and Hams fork and south to the freeway. Then down across the Uintas and down the Skyline Ridge Road to the sandstone country. I have a two month trip in the works. 4000+ miles 80% dirt.

And as far as opinions, I can get carried away. Hopefully there is logic and reason behind my words, otherwise it just boils down to another old man shaking his fist at the moon. I hope people will let me down easy if I go stupid on you. There is a real danger to ranting:

[​IMG]

Kinda looks like Mark Zuckerberg