1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metalcarver likes this.
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    I now believe there's finally a machine built to press through rather than jump, the Darien Gap. Perhaps even a commercial shuttle service vehicle through that jungle of doom.

Terraflex? What joke. Your setup is all terrain, every planet!

Salute!

Stovey
  3. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    My daughter says that I'm confusing Mad Max with reality.

Yeah.

Your point?
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right now is the time for Mad Max. And there is no reality. What your doing is spot on. Proceed!
    LC1 likes this.
  5. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That jeep tire is insanely cool looking. How does it do on the single track?
  6. Stovebolt

Oddometer:

A can of chrome spray paint, and we're dyin` historic, out on the Fury Road.

Just sayin....

Stovey
    LC1 and waylongway like this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So somebody left the gate open. Spending a lovely evening on the 680 stub off FR 4340 above Twisp. Same old story. Pin hits primer and little bullet leaves home.

Hm. Lotsa bear shit. Play Grateful Dead loud all night. Works every time . Party!

Can't get over all this gadgetry.
  8. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Bears be about here in Island Park too. Actually had to go out and get wifey in the truck right after dhe called from Big Springs firetower, and started back dowhill toward cabin. I got near simultaneous e-mail warn-off from neighbo about fish and game reprt of sow Griz and 2 cubs right at the base of the hill, right where she was hiking down into. A few days later, even closer by, a black bear greeted a dude on his front deck where he kept his summer vacation refrigerator.

Even a brand new fridge or picnic cooler smells like an ant hill to a bear, because the insulation is made with formaldehyde. Ants exude fomalin naturally and bears home in on it. Surprised the crap out of vacationing city boy, as the report went.

Stay frosty out there MC! Hate to see you have to resort to playing rap music to drive off the bruin...

Stovey
    LC1 and oldwyomingdude like this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    One of the quietest nights ever. Lets the stoopid chickens an opening for revenge
    Met a wild turkey like that in NM.

Then the inner tube washer that fell off into the tire finally wore through . On a 10% grade down to Chelan. A guy named Bjorn from Portland was going up and gave me one ! Still 4 hours (the stem was chewed up but would hold 10lbs. ). 3 dismounts .

Maybe shady pass tomorrow.

Maybe sleep.

Beautiful camp spot. Lights of Chelan. And that nice brown sky.
    waylongway and dammitdave like this.
  10. LC1

LC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had the same thing happen to me somewhere between Salmon Idaho and Mud Lake at about 60 MPH on my DR 650. I did have a new tube to fix it but I was doing some pretty tall driving before I got stopped.
    dammitdave likes this.
  11. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are in my hood...PM and stop by?.....
    Mile Post 22.5.....with the sign: Martha Stewart doesn't live here....
    I just got back from Lake Wenatchee this afternoon, hope you are still close....
    Jenne Lane.....
  12. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe my last comment didn't go thru?..You are in my hood....(.5) west of Brief....Stop here and say howdy....Or camp for the nite...I have food and ales....
    I sent a P.M also.....I know you only have cell at the top of the pass..Hope you see this..
    SPD....
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I guess a random post in the middle of a trip causes more confusion. Just kind of fascinated that I could log in while in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, back home. Last day was a touristy tour of Ranier and Long slab back home.

Processing pichurs.
    dammitdave and Ladybug like this.
  14. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the Vomiting Raven down to Lilliwaup to check for easily fooled fish, heard a bike headed North, and saw your distinctive hack pass by in the middle of a long string of rigs. You had that posture of a tired cowboy who knows there's still an hour to the barn that must be endured. dd
    DRONE likes this.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! You'd know about this trick. I got behind a hot rod pickemup truck driver with a gazillion horsepower and a 28 foot double axle pimp box showing everybody he can go as fast as a sports car. Going up Hood Canal at 70mph, damn fine radar shielld and I figured I'd probably be able to clear the debris field. Bumping River to home through the sea of humanity. Kinda tuckered by the time you missed your shot. Nyah nyah nyah.

Pics tomorrow.
    waylongway and DRONE like this.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Having Ladybug and Buttercup visit was really like a swift kick in the butt. I'm really glad they weren't wearing 4" spike heels. I hadn't gone on ride with anyone else for over two years. Just excuses, like a pandemic, caring for two mentally ill, dealing with vampire contractors, an extended family that exploded like a dandelion puff ball, people sticking their heads into the internet and coming out in a blood rage, then the west coast burned down. I split at the first sign of clearing.

I think those nice young men on the ferry kind of have a feeling for those of us on the edge, so they gave me the best seat in the house and kept the cars away from me.

[​IMG]

Still had to get them to point it in the right direction.

[​IMG]

Followed by a surprisingly mellow trip up the Skagit Valley.

[​IMG]

I had packed before the fires to see just how much I could pack onto the beast. So I had on board, 30 days of food, 350 miles of gas and 7 gallons of water. Cruising on the North Cascade Highway, just me and Lucille and no particular place to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a dispersed camping area up the Methow River just after it enters forest service land. From evidence left, I think that this valley was totally nucking futz this summer. I would bet that there were probably 1000 people camped in the river bottom area over the 4th. Overflow channels from spring runoff had been driven on so much they were now little roads. However, I had the place to myself.

[​IMG]

So next morning I headed up the North Fork of the Methow to Hart's Pass. A well maintained and used forest road. Some rocky and exposed spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the haze building up from a nasty trick the wind did. Bring smoke back that was lost at sea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a lot of "there and back again" routes in the Cascades. You just don't get to go over the top. So back down again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then went down through Winthrop and turned up the Twisp River and then on to Poorman Creek. There was grading in progress and I had the first tracks. I remember doing a road like that on my Vstrom and that was not pleasant, however on a hack it was just a nice soft ride. All the way to the top of the ridge and I found a really nice dispersed spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything was turning yellow with the smokey sky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So dry it was scary.

After retiring for brandy and cigars.

[​IMG]

I got a little camping cot that holds you just inches up but it is fantastic. Fits in a backpacking tent and is the best money I have spent on camping gear in years. Amazon The string of camping lights was also on Amazon and I probably burned them 4 hours every night for 6 nights and still had battery left when I got home. So much better than hunting things down with a flashlight.

That was one of the quietest nights I can remember. Not a breath of wind. Warm. Dry. There were several piles of bear poop along the road so I went back to look and that was petrified scat. So dry it broke. No critter signs other than an angry squirrel in the distance.
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Nice quiet morning, gobbled, packed, and scrammed in two hours flat. So "hurry" is more of a philosophical prospect later in life.

[​IMG]

The road absolutely fit my mood. Well graded and empty. Um... But just putt along watching the trees and mountains wind around over a little divide and then down the Gold Creek road, wider and smoother then paved and a few people. Still had the road to myself.

Turned up the South Fork of Gold Creek aiming for the ridge above Lake Chelan. Smoky still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back toward the mouth of Gold Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on top looking down at beautiful Lake Chelan.

[​IMG]

And then just follow the road meandering along a nice empty ridge. At this point I had not seen anyone since turning on to Poorman Creek the day before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overcast only from smoke but I couldn't smell it. Yellow light all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the road takes off and goes downhill to the valley.

[​IMG]

Going along fine and then front end wobble. Wo.

[​IMG]

I will forever praise the lords of sidecars who made the pronouncement -

"Tools is Ballast"

And I need ballast on accounta broke brains and I've be collecting tools for 50 years...

However...

[​IMG]

The stem washer had developed artificial intelligence and jumped off just before I put in the stem puller. Took until here to wear through. Oh well, patch and reinstall. No sweat.

Much sweat.

So yes, fill up the tube with a bit of air, slop some soapy water on and fix the bubble. Patch held, no bubbles, nowhere. Reinstalled and it would not pump up more than ten pounds. Pulled off, repeat, repeat,... !@#$%^&*

At that point a gentleman named Bjorn from Portland came putting up and stopped to help.

thank you thank you thank you

Hooked up his pump and it didn't work either or... inner tube? He had one. 18" not 19" I'm sweating a lot and not drinking water and it's many hours later. Stretched the tube on the rim, pushed the bead over and the stretched tube flattened out and when I looked the bead landed on top of the tube with a fold betweenthe bead and the rim. Just plopped on my butt and shook my head. Just then a couple of hunters came up the road, pretty down told Bjorn to go on. He would not take anything for the tube + CO2 cartridge. But the hunters would pick me up on their way back . Glad I wasn't screwing up a good riding day any more. So then I was all alone. Fell flat on my ass and slid down the slope a little. Slowed way down, guzzled water, ate, smacked the big bare spot above my eyes. Get in the old industrial overtime mode. Just one step at a time. Pulled the opposite bead off this time and was able to yank the tube out and reinstall it. Pushed the bead over, And my pump really did work. Put everything back together, packed up and the hunters showed up. Many thank you's and once again help from strangers is one of the nicest things that can ever happend to you.

[​IMG]

Got rolling and stopped at the first flat spot I could camp in.

[​IMG]

Didn't move much until the morning.
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Late morning start again and south to Chelan and gas.

[​IMG]

RAWTherapee has a feature called "haze removal" and it really works. Most of the shots on this trip were under pretty smoky skies..

Got to Chelan filled up gas and water and pouted for a couple of minutes. 18" tube on 19" rim. Bumpity lonesome roads. I could take the highway to perdition or, might not get another chance, soooo, In the spirit of Mad Max, up and over Shady Pass! I'll only be about 20 miles from people...

[​IMG]

Forgot to tell Ladybug about my safari chair. Woulda been more fun...[​IMG]

Still pooped so set up camp on Grouse Mountain really early.

And took up my position as the lonely sentinel watching, waiting, guarding against the evil seeking the innocent valley people.

Dirty job. Had to be done.

[​IMG]

messing around with a remote shutter gadget on my phone...

[​IMG]

Sometimes in life you are summoned to the Council of the Pines to give an accounting.

[​IMG]

About 14 miles from here to Shady Pass on white coarse granite sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was nice to be above the smoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too apparent here but the right rut is a little bit higher than the left one. Just after this pic it got pretty bumpy and rocky. The sidecar is narrower than a jeep so the ruts don't fit sidecar wheels so where my left elbow starts getting vertigo I kind of skootch over to the right side of the road. The front wheel is doing a bit of sidehill which the Duro seemed pretty good at. Except when it slips 3 inches or so down into the rut, at the same time a rock on the upside bonks the car wheel up in the air. And time slows to a stop. Lub Dub Lub Dub

tunnel vision . Silence while the slo mo wheel turns free

And then grabs the ground an entire second later. And I'm off bumbling along again.

[​IMG]

Then slide down the other side to the Entiat River.

[​IMG]

And kind of ran out of imagination at the bottom of the hill. There's a mountains and mountains full of roads around here and still tired from my tire episode so I decided to just do some touristy stuff and headed towards Mt. Rainier. All of the campgrounds were closed so found another dispersed spot on the Bumping River. The next day was one of the ultimate cruises ever. From Bumping River to Cinnamon Pass ...oops .. White Pass highway 12 there was absolutely no traffic, it was perfect temperature, sun was shining and Mother Nature had carefully arranged all the mountains and dusted them off and blew the smoke away. Just for me.

[​IMG]

And then I swam through a sea of humanity to get home...
  19. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Where'd all these scabs come from?
  20. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That would be a birds-eye view from that safari chair.

Nice photos as always. :clap