The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still think the hermetically sealed traveler is possible, however there is a problem with just having a mass of food. Chocolate vanished first. I inherited a really cool Trangia alcohol stove. The first night I cooked up a really nice dinner and spent an hour cleaning up. @#$% Used the JetBoil after that. I love that Trangia and looks like it will cook some really nice meals. At a base camp. Not for the trail. I'm not out there to cook or eat, if I wanted all the comforts of home I would have stayed there. If I was full time on the road, yes, I would take more time and cook better meals. But when you are on a journey time is something you might want to spend on something other than housekeeping. Also, why would someone carry dehydrated food and then carry the water to re-hydrate it? Cans work pretty good and already have water added, cook faster, lots of variety. So jet boil + cans was the preferred choice for all my meals and all delicious grains and seasonings just sat there waiting. I had learned the lesson of taking all your food in the highest water weight when I spent more time in the desert. Water was not available at campgrounds so I carried it all and refilled with gallons at the fuel stops. I just had different habits when travelling in the mountains versus desert. Now we kind of need a desert mentality to navigate this brave new world we live in.

Another thought... You have all mostly been harangued, nagged, pestered and insulted by people urging you to lose weight. Yeah it's mostly a good thing for stuff like life expectancy and health. But there is a dark side. At the urging of physicians I lost maybe 40 pounds. Yay! But... It does not come off proportionally. First thing, my ass fell off. Flat. Bony. Now imagine that you, a lover of nature, are wandering in a beautiful primeval forest and everybody knows the best seats in the forest are logs lying there just waiting for you. Imagine the heartbreak of plopping that freshly bone filled ass of yours on a hard old log and realizing that something precious and personal has been lost. Proceed cautiously ladees and gemmuns.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Cinnamon Pass? Where's that? (or a typo?)
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    You mean what I know... White Pass. Oh look! A squirrel...
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
  5. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you say one way in and one out.....The top of Tyee mountain: 6,550' and fire lookout is just out my front windows..It takes a whole day to get there..at my pace...Then you are on the top of the world!
    I'm glad I chose this little valley to be my last stop...
    ............................:clap.......................................
    Metalcarver likes this.
  6. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Other than your tire problem, sure looked to be a great trip with great photos! Thanks for posting. Sure like your Hack too!
    dammitdave likes this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Cabin fever. I was looking at the noaa snow/water map and the Black Rock seems to be getting way less water this year. Might be open pretty early. Might be vulnerable to geezer infestation. Never can tell...
  8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Bike came outa the shop last month, moved from one shop to another... can't return "home" very easily to the Lucky Dog mid-winter via snow machine. So it's planted down below the deep snowline in a friendly's location, awaiting future love rubbing. Been meaning to reopen comms to ya my friend, it's been too long!

Black Rock would be cool without gumbo. Geezer radar is magnetizing. I suspect your rig has been thoroughly gone over as per the Covid19 Special Scrutineering Specifications. ??? Any specific timeframe for your PNW exodus?

Stovey
    LC1 likes this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So where did you winter over? There was one day I could have shoveled snow here. But I didn't.

Just looks like that the black rock would be an ideal place to set up a remote base and prowl from there. Mebbe May?

Tried shoveling that truck tire onto the HAT and it worked but there was no way in hell I would have been able to change it out on the side of the mountain. But now I have all the ingredients to have a change over set of tires and wheels for black top. Also brought WL7H back to life and I'll have 1.8 - 440 mhz plus cb on board for the week spent waiting for the road to dry out.
    Chip Stevens and black top bob like this.
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Then there's the trail of no return... THAG 2021

[​IMG]

Red is the drainage outline of the Great Basin. Blue - dirt - gravel . Yellow pavement. Couple of sketchy parts where having someone along to blame everything on would really help.
  11. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Fixed.....:D
  12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Moved right in to the Lucky Dog full-time back in July when we sold the house in the Tetons. Wintered over right here - 8 miles west of the Yellowstone boundary. It's been interesting. Moved metric tons of snow in our compound. Heading to Escalante 2nd week in April to play in the slots, truck camping with wife for a week of breakout. Free diving been on hold. She just left on the sled to go get her shot number 1. I don't get one yet 'cause I ain't old enough. We can't travel together until I get euthanized. Er, I mean, uh... vaccinized or whatever.

Just ordered a Baofang UV5R and all the books and study aids for Tech and General. Had my GMRS but it expired. Gonna get the HAM and tap you on your shoulder again for handholding and a QSO at some point. Might get a Yaesu FT3DR if I am feeling successful? You do remember your open invitation to the compound right? Gonna have my bike and be back on it this season after lat year's hiatus. My season will just be starting later than yours.

Great Basin sure is a size LARGE perimeter, damnation.... WAYLONGWAY sure has his finger on that pulse!

Stovey

waylongway likes this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    You mean what I know...

[​IMG]
    Shady Pass David and waylongway like this.
  14. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave..Invite is always open....:-)
    Metalcarver likes this.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Thank you, there are a whole mess of roads all tangled up around your feet. I'll get over there and give you a hand with that.

I changed my avatar. Somebody told me I should let my inner light shine forth and illuminate the world.

The original caption for the pic was "There was a hell of a lot they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit". My life in one sentence.

So what's snow like on the east side of the mountains? Any predictions?
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And, thinking of second or third week in July to leave for the big trip. 4800 miles 3 to 4 weeks. If anyone is interested , PM me. Prerequisites include a size one helmet and 250 mile fuel range.

And late April, May, a desert trip, base camp style, Black Rock, Alvord, Owlyhee... something like that?
  17. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    I still have 4' of snow in my yard and this is one of the heaviest snows in a while..The sleds are still hitting the trails....Myself & sleds are too old?-smart to head out alone, so I'm just watching the meltdown...We've had 5 or more days in the 60+*'s and the plants & fruit trees are sprouting..
    My plan last summer was to head towards Montana & Wyoming and maybe meet a couple of inmates that-a-ways...I purchased a Montana Pass when the plague started to get nasty...The nice lady didn't punch the purchase date, so I'm gonna try again when the NFS-BLM campgrounds open...
    You've got my PM..let me know if you survive the universe trip..Waylongway took nice pics..eh?
    .................................:wings..........:rayof.......................
  18. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Avatar. Painted by James Bama who used real people for his portraits. He lived in Cody Wy.
    dammitdave and oldwyomingdude like this.
  19. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    First time I saw that picture was hanging on the wall at "The Rig Bar and Cafe" old town, Kenai, Alaska. September 1979. Long gone. And that is azakly how I felt a few months in after hiring on with the big outfits.

Aside from the spring desert getaway and the space hippy cruise mentioned above, I left a mess of roads in North Idaho and Montana un-rode. And ghosts in Wyoming and Utah so I believe there may be enough to keep me occupied until November. You just never can tell.

As Mr Mcgee might confirm, the state campgrounds on the Olympic Peninsula are open year round so might pull off an earlier spring excursion. Of course I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause all my imaginary internet friends to feel envious. Or inferior. Or ignored.

much

Guess I better finish up farkeling.
    Mcgee likes this.
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Like I said, there was this one time I could have shoveled snow. But I didn't. Anyway, if the passes don't end up in your lap and you can time just right the tides of crazed Puget Sounders on the little bit of freeway, you could end up on the peninsula in about 6 hours. Shaking. Dazed. Maybe incoherent, but it CAN be done. Lemme know if the notion takes you. Mcgee is in this neighborhood too. Who knows who else might be laying for you.