The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ride4Life4Ever

Ride4Life4Ever Is it beer time yet?

Oddometer:
    That "l'm going home" is inspirational!!!
    I have been lucky all my life in too many ways to mention without sending you into a coma, but my decline started around 2yrs ago when l was 67.
    The main thing was a f8cked up right hip that stopped me even walking more than 1/4ml without chronic pain even though l'd loaded up with pain killers beforehand.................(I had known of my disintegrating hip for a few years before, but just kept putting it off thinking "it will get better!"....Yeh!..Really!
    In the meantime l decided to climb a river pebbled steep incline with all my biking gear on to get a good shot of my bike down by the river, well, not my best idea because coming back down my leg shot away from me, then gripped into the hillside, & then go under & backwards at a rate of speed so unbelievably quick it ripped my quad muscle from my kneecap!!!.....Took off my long sleeves T shirt, wrapped it tightly around the already swollen leg, pulled back up my biking trousers & rode the 100mls home with a straight leg sticking out from my bike.....( my wonderful physician said it was a ham string injury, but that's another story for maybe another time)
    That diagnosis delayed what should have been immediate surgery to surgery where it was touch & go if it could be repaired, but l went & had the surgery, & all l can say is that after 6 months it still doesn't feel right, but l get around.
    Then after putting it off for too long l elected to have a new shiny metal right hip inserted (after they'd sawed off the old one of course!)
    That was 4 weeks ago, & this is where l get to compare myself to the "l'm going home" geezer!
    I got to pushing myself without using a physioterrorist, & progressed quicker than the Hip Replacement Guide Book suggested & got into the truck at 3 weeks, then the car a few days later, then at the 4 week mark l managed to get my right hip swung over the 'bike & go for a 100ml jaunt around the (thankfully) deserted countryside on a beautiful day.........................& that my friends was my "Yahoo!" moment.
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    "In the fell clutch of circumstance,
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed. "

When you're out prowling now you need to give a warning. Two long blasts on your horn, then a short one, then another really long one. If they don't get out of your way it's their own damn fault...
    Moonraker likes this.
  3. Moonraker

Moonraker Radix lecti Supporter

Oddometer:
    - - .-
    Q. I think that's the standard whistle for a crossing if not mistaken.
    Life's full of crossings. Sometimes you're the car. Sometimes you're the train.
    Metalcarver likes this.
  4. Moonraker

Moonraker Radix lecti Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this thread. Should be getting really nice up that way for riding and camping. Finally got a string of dry days down here after endless weeks of rain and cold. Love the Ural with the sidecar rig!
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So I didn't do nothing so I didn't post nothing and I had two health and welfare inquiries because of that. Hell, they don't ever ride motorcycles...

So got distracted in a lot of extramarital farkelingus along with renewed ham radio interest.

First the boner. Spent too much time and money on this.

[​IMG]

Which looked hell for cool but... You might notice a lack of clearance for desert gumbo with the frame. So I scored a nearly new rear swingarm off ebay for a suspiciously low price. And I modified the heck out of it and it were a shitter. After all the fitting and scheming the wheel is probably three times the weight of the original which blows to hell all calculations of damping force and frothing of the mouth and cursing and then I broke it and I'm not going to talk about it any more. Go to hell.

So I soothed myself with the old standby, extramarital farkelingus:

Heavier Cogent Dynamics Spring

[​IMG]

Built a chuck box around the stuff I had before so it's one big box, holds a lot more stuff. The lid has a 25 watt solar panel to trickle charge a deep cycle battery in the back box. Couple of little flood lights on the front of the tub with battery relay and toggle switch in the silly little tool box on the honda.

[​IMG]

And inside the back box resides A Kenwood TM 281 2 meter transceiver, an old Kenwood 2 meter transceiver for APRS digital. An ICOM 7100 hf/vhf/uhf all mode transceiver, and a cobra 40 channel CB. Mobile hamstick whips for 40 meters, 20 meters, and cb 11meters. Charge controller for solar panel is on the door with the tm 281. The tarp poles that I've been carrying around now has a fitting on top for the hamsticks and the guy wires are an elevated ground plane. All yet to be fully tested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And is a work in progress.

And so I have a warning light on the dash for the FI system and was trying to track it down but got distracted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dunno. Seems to run fine.
  6. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BASE to Scully-Muldar..We've lost contact....Please deposit $5.00 to continue.......:hide.....
    rg sw wa., dammitdave and Metalcarver like this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    There are other options for cabin fever.

[​IMG]
  8. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Didn't think there was nothin in Gerlach except gas. Now it's a destination!
    rg sw wa., LC1 and waylongway like this.
  10. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras, Oregon.....Got to fly a Steerman-Stearman-1940's before the plague hit...Wanted to go back for a ride in a P-51, but they shipped it to Hawaii...Dang!
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Ah Madras. I cut through a parking lot there and there was a cable across an exit with no sign, in the shade. Quite a body slam. 2 weeks later had my stroke. One suspect was was vertebral artery dissection which can be caused by a traumatic event... If I had known.. A Stearman or any radial engine sounds like an airplane should. Would have lured me away from the evil part of town. Child of the 50's & 60s . Trains, planes, race cars, motorcycles, and radios and I'm happier than a pig in poop.
    rg sw wa., Oldschoolrocker and LC1 like this.
  12. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bring back the bad memory.....For me flying in an open cockpit radial from way-back then, WOW..Even upside down.....The only regert(on purpose)..those silly tattoo folks who didn't finish 2nd grade..I didn't have my 5-point rig tight enough...
    Aack!..am I going to let gravity get me?.....Guess it didn't..yet...:lol2...............
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Naw, stroke pales in comparison to 2020. Something for everybody to hate.

Any roads poking through the snow yet?

I might try a two or three day trip here on the peninsula. Make sure I put things back together.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  14. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    I'm down to my last little patch of gray-white stuff in the yard...Haven't gone out to check the trails...It's usually a few weeks till the mud dries up..
    I get to head to North Bend for a wedding, poor kids, the only wet weekend in months..
    rg sw wa. and Metalcarver like this.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Sunday driver. Striped Peak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love the change the Cogent Dynamics spring made.

Makes the Monday driving more interesting...

[​IMG]
    Oldschoolrocker and waylongway like this.
  17. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metalcarver, the new rear tire that is on your bike, who makes it and what size is it.
    Thanks,
    upload_2021-5-13_20-8-2.jpeg
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    It's a 6.00-16 jeep tire. And didn't work so pretty good. If you notice the axle is as far back as it can go in the swingarm slots with no further adjustment. At that point the tire has 1/2 " clearance. The debacle began when I decided to modify a swingarm I got off ebay.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  19. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Shakedown cruise, got shook. We've had a lot of beautiful days here for quite a while. But these last few years have been so totally f@#$%^&*'d that instead of my usual "I'm effing outa here" explosion and escape I went on my first spring overnighter sort of like a gravity induced splat. Been sitting here like a bird in a cage with the door open and he doesn't leave. I have a list of pouting points as long as my arm which I have been reviewing so many times that I'm sometimes left quivering in a pile in the corner. So headed south for a change. Things started getting better when I stopped off at Mt Walker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proceeded on down to Skokomish and up FR23 and then off on a side road and then onto a side road offa the side of the side road.

Looked comfortable so I stopped for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mountains at the south end of the Olympics are not like most mountains in the west. They're kind of randomly plopped down wherever and as a consequence the roads organized similarly. Some side roads look pretty major and end up in a loading clearing. I usually use point to point navigating from intersection to intersection and just follow a given distance instead of the garmin turn by turn approach. This usually works pretty well and I'm not glued to a damn confusticator screen while doing what I came to do which is ride. In the south Olympic turn by turn would save tons of backtracking time. How do I know?...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I got over to Lake Wynoochee and decided to set up the HF radio station. I found a new growth area and set up camp. Low elevation facing the sun and probably around 80 degrees and 100% humidity. Time for a nap.

Opened my eyes to big old thunder clouds and looked like wetness coming. So put up the antenna pole (used to be strictly for the tarp) Now has a mobile ham antenna on top and the guy wires are the ground plane. I figured they would just help support the tarp. And the ground was mostly hard gravel and the tent stakes would barely push in, but got it standing. Then stringing up the tarp one of those wind things that happen around thunder showers came by.

Foom! Wind power! Into the trees with you my friend. 16 foot tarp, ten foot conduit pole and attached pieces went airborne. Camping gear strewn all over. The solar panel tipped over and pulled the wires apart.

So I threw a fit.

So reassessing the combination of hobbies , I don't think that after a long day of riding that I want to go to the trouble of setting up an hf outfit. If I was heading out specifically to play with radios , yeah. But if it is a motorcycle trip, I usually don't want to mess with anything more than setting up camp and feeding myself.

ham stuff: I think in the future I'll have the 2 meter rig with PTT and tuned to 146.52 calling frequency and an aprs beacon on board. Hf for field day and pota activations.

Gonna tidy this crap up and go for a desert outback trip. Trailer it to Bend and boogie.
  20. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Spent the week at Lake Wenatchee...The roads are drying out but the "jerks" went on them too early and the ruts are pretty large...The skeeters were HONGRY!.....
    I have an electric skeeter prod (racket) and destroyed a good hunk of the population..
    My sister left a foot and one hand out from her covers and they used it as a fly-in diner..
    rg sw wa. likes this.