The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Maybe you are right. At 62 I am actually still a whipper-snapper anyway. Doesn't Geezer start at 70?
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok. kinda doing things in a cluster at the moment. Seems my way of doing things does not translate well to the gpx world . I've always had maps and a tracker so I knew azackly where I was, even if it was wrong. Then just mosey along kind of towards the objective. Doesn't translate if you want somebody a long ways off to follow you. And having some , um, epiphanies on logging roads at the south end of the Olympic Mountains with an absolutely flat grey low sky, on roads that literally will point in all directions of the compass. Yeah, turn by turn. Ok gonna git me some of that gpx shit. Brain farts are painful when you're a geezer.

Maybe it should be GEEZERS GONE BAD. I've already experienced "the rolling of eyes" and the big sigh "wonder what I'll do for six weeks?"

I'm preparing a gpx file of the drainage line for the Great Basin and I'll post it here. Kinda big.
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Hm... I forget the first thing that happens when you get to be a geezer. :ksteve
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So maybe this will work maybe not. It's a Gaia gps page and it should allow you to download either gpx or kmz. HERE

Mebbe some of youse of the gpx persuasion could review it...
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    That file is the hydrographic divide of the Great Basin. The goal is to set a route as close as possible to the line. Then the rider that gets closest to the line for the longest wins! Not sure what.

Still working on the definitive route. I take more chances if there's someone along to blame it all on.
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    ok here is an attempt in two files waypoints 1-400 and waypoints 401-7xx. Not sure how much of this is evil deep wash in nevada and CA, and how much is too narrow (evil again) in other parts. but not a bad first swing based on the incredible research from @Metalcarver. All input is greatly appreciated.

Not sure I will win anything with this. But likely I will be blamed for bad routes and cold breakfast anyway, so what the hell. It is starting to remind me of a plaque my dad had on our small boat when I was a kid. I won't tell you why I memorized it.

It's not my job to run the boat,
    the horn I can not blow
    It's not my job to say how far the yachts allowed to go.
    It's not my job to throttle down,
    or even clang the bell.
    But let the damn thing hit the dock and see who catches hell

Attached Files:

7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Just a legal note:

Geezerdom is not related to age or health. It's a federally licensed program. It's the senior pass you get when you turn 62 for national parks and forests. Even if you don't register, if you qualify, you're a geezer. Sorry.
    LC1, jathkajoe, Stovebolt and 2 others like this.
  8. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got mine....Saved a lotta buck$$$$$$...
    Ladybug, LC1, radmann10 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Training videos from Oz:

GR8ADV likes this.
  10. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, sounds like my old man, he would blow past the exit in the `64 Ford Fairlane then yell at us for not making him take the exit. It was always some one else's fault, never his LOL
    GR8ADV likes this.
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:

I paid my last $80 young one fee to the feds this year for my nationwide get into tourist hell pass. Next year I go full Geazer at 62 and can get my lifetime frustration entry pass. Living 8 miles as the buzzard flies from jellystone often gets me through the gate before they even man, or WOman it, but still, I need the pass for my many trips into The Zone. saw a pair of wolves last week between Norris and Fishing Bridge. Ticked all the critter boxes this season, except for the cats. Saw snow leopards at the zoo in Idaho falls instead.

Stovey
    Ladybug, LC1, oldwyomingdude and 5 others like this.