The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:

Um... What he said.
  2. GeoffMont

GeoffMont Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's awesome! Climax is very much alive and well! I live about a mile down from Safeway towards turquoise lake. Miss the PNW dearly! At least you can still ride in the rain!!
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Couple of geezer threads:

How to get away in the USA
    Geezer does the bad lands of New Mexico

There's three of us.

Singing the "Baldy's restaurant massacree" in three part harmony.

They're going to think it's a movement.

Chord with me now... "You can get anything you want at the ADV restaurant":kumbaya

If you know of any others (coots, oldfarts, gaffers, wheeze bags, etc.) that are alive to post here, warn us.

{ add edit}

And a pretty babe! - Instead of the kind of iffy looking scumbags I usually hang out with.
    slacker1965, bobw and freewaystreak like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am constantly blown away at the level of writing skills on this forum let alone pictures. Your opening statement should pretty much resonate with most of us on this forum that are at or around your age bracket. I have my feeble attempts at writing and posting here on ADV but many of you are the benchmark to follow. I'm looking forward towards following your adventures and many thanks for sharing. As I sign just about every one of my posts:

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Another thing we have in common is that we grew up when teachers were expected to teach English, history, (I had to know the difference between a democracy, a republic, a monarchy, a theocracy) Usable mathematics, science, etc. Now the teachers are held accountable to illiterate legislators and kids can pass tests but are unable to do anything else. I graduated from high school with a "C" average. But it gave me enough to go on. Not sure what high schools are doing now. I was talking to a local manufacturer lately and his production is being crimped by finding people willing to work. One kid came in looking for a job, with his mother to fill out the forms. Another inexperienced high school grad wanted $20/hr minimum starting and wanted to know what the signing bonus would be. These are factory jobs, no experience needed except a capacity to learn. Then I go ride in the back country and there are no kids. Sure, can't speak in absolutes but there are damn few kids out there. And a whole mess of geezers. Not sure but it might seem to all be related. The kids can't work, can't have fun, and are glued to social media.
    glasshousebc, jdfog2, Traxx and 8 others like this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    A stress relief run up the Deer Park Road into Olympic National Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking down on Sequim

[​IMG]

Maybe 20 miles from the house. I think my back yard improvement project last year worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absorbing the elegant fragrance of brakepad by Estee Lauder

[​IMG]
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    bobw likes this.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Whatever you call it I will follow.....:lol3:thumb
    LC1 likes this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Proof of life:

[​IMG]

Got involved in some pretty intense home health care stuff. Which gobbled up 6 weeks. HOWEVER !!!!! I actually passed my 3 wheel endorsement. And above stated condition has been mostly resolved and hope to get back to making a little photo trip every week or so again. Besides, mebbe in 3 weeks or so, Ivanka is going to have a friend.
    [​IMG]
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN. 58 years old and not getting any younger. Trying to figure out a not quite epic but still enjoyable Motorcycle ride to take in September for a week or 10 days. I would like to think it's just training for something actually epic but I'll enjoy it like it is epic anyway!
  11. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got lots of good places to ride. Nice to see somebody out doing something instead of just sitting around.
  12. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Six weeks and "Who let the dog out?". Sometimes you gotta make like a watermelon seed under pressure. Got through port angeles by 7:30 am and I think that's the key. Very little traffic and it looks like they'r almost done with the Lake Crescent road work. I think there's some guard rail work ahead but looks like the pavement is done and painted. I turned of on FR29 and then the first "Y" you come to FR29 goes left and FR2922 goes right. They put a bunch of money into 2922 a couple of years ago so it's in good shape all the way to the top plus a gazillion dollar culvert. So it's bound to be for logging. Enjoy it while you can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top section has not had as much maintenance so the timber sale is probably lower.

[​IMG]

And you will notice people around here take most of their pictures on the ridge tops. I think I mentioned the similarity in tree pictures before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2922 eventually joins back in to FR29 very near the top of the ridge. I went down 29 hoping to return via 2923 back over the top again, however, logging operations. So, all these pretty little roads? Well they are just fine for a full size semi truck pole trailer plus a pony trailer behind. Regular choo choo train. So after several milliseconds of deliberation I turned around and went back up 29. At least I got to travel the unpaved part of 29 twice.

[​IMG]

Coming back up.

[​IMG]

And down t'other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Kerrmitt

Kerrmitt It's not easy being green

Oddometer:
    Bummer no Sierra. It's my backyard. But I get it. By the way, nice hull number :) Looking forward to reading and viewing more ramblings.
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I used to be all sneaky like and keep all my places secret but a sad fact of this new age is that the forest service is being strangled and they are closing every road they can to save money. In this case I think I am correct in encouraging people to get out and use those roads. We paid more for them than the logging companies. Don't want to exclude anyone but if recreational users are not present the government rational is that they don't exist. Multiple use includes us on this forum as well as everyone else.

If you like playing with Google Earth, download these and plug them in. Then search on "online kml to gpx converter" for files for gps.

NF 29 (1)
    NF 29 (2)
    NF 29 (3)

NF 2922 (1)
    NF 2922 (2)
    NF 2922 (3)
    NF 2922 (4)
    NF 2922 (5)

NF 2923 (1) active logging
    NF 2923 (2)
    NF 2923 (3)

Good roads, some potholes and fallen rocks, all seem graded for big log trucks so if you see the signs... and the Ural has gone full distance on all in 1wd.
    Bigbob1 and El Pacifico like this.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    {this post was in response to maps and routes I put up about the Great Basin Boogie which didn't get any response. So I'll put them all up in route planning after it's been conquered}

Actually the paved route above follows the Sierra Crest pretty closely and goes through the Lake Tahoe area. Then the areas around LA and San Diego the boundary for the Great Basin is the Angeles Crest Highway and looks like some really nice dirt roads on the back side from San Diego. I wanted to maximize the dirt on Plan A and it goes through some pretty spectacular country. Basically on the stretch of the divide from Las Vegas to the Lassen Volcanic area the paved route is much closer to the actual Great Basin Divide. The rest of the way the dirt route is much closer.
    Kerrmitt likes this.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Catching up on kmz posts. Two of the trips above were on the north side of Hwy 101. The red points are intersections.

[​IMG]

That pic should be enough to navigate to all of the roads in question. But if you like playing the google earth game then -

KMZ:

NF30 (n)

NF30 (s) active logging south end

NF3067

NF3072 log stub

NF3040

NF3041

If you don't have google earth you can download the file and (if you are using chrome) you can go to the google earth site and launch google earth for chrome. Then there's a column of hieroglyphics on the left and one of them is "my places" If you click that, there's another link at the bottom of the window that enables the kmz or kml import. Then a link appears in the window to import kmz file and you point that to the file you just downloaded.

<whew>

Or not.

And really, there are actually a few weirdos that like playing the google earth game. Facebook just got me mad so I quit. Solitaire might be useful for recovering from traumatic brain injury. Daytime TV is only useful if you own an AR15. And there are times in life when you need something to focus on despite the maelstrom of life swirling around you, anchoring you in place. Temporarily.

Hence my maps.
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Interlude between rides. Go fishing or buy canned?

Traxx likes this.
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    oldwyomingdude and Ladybug like this.
  19. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So there I was, minding my own business and trundling down a nice little back road...

[​IMG]

When much to my surprise a tiny fairy floated over to me...

[​IMG]

And she whispered into my ear.

"What is your heart's desire?" (She had the cutest dimples)

And I was taken aback. Why, I was asking myself that very self same question.....

[​IMG]

But thinking long and hard I finally did see something I wanted...

[​IMG]

Just then with a loud cackling the wicked witch of the west came flying by.

[​IMG]

And then with a very loud sound of a cow making a pie....

WOP!

[​IMG]

The Ural had completely changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics.

So, after a 100 mile ride I must say the outfit is beyond my expectations. It handles very well both on and off road. It has street tires on so didn't go anywhere steep. I was afraid that with the soft honda suspension that it would wallow and need a sway bar but that does not seem to be the case. Very predictable and I can finally keep up with traffic. The build quality is excellent. The braking is so much better than the Ural, no lurching or swerving. Extramarital farkelingus commences.
  20. shuckinator

shuckinator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride. That's a babe magnet as opposed to a geezer magnet. I ride a Moto Guzzi Stelvio and it's pretty much a broad spectrum magnet. Have you thought about lashing a half dozen ratty knobbies to that sexy hack to re-establish the geezer equilibrium?

I brought my ADV magpie sticker out west for some fresh air and came through some of your old stomping grounds up around Salmon and Big Hole.. I picked up a really pretty screw ( actually my tire chose it) at one of those scenic river access turnouts coming down from Lolo Pass into Kamiah ID. Fortunately four Germans, on rental Harleys with limited English and no tools, offered moral support while I effected the mostly successful repair. I only have to add air ever couple of days.

It was hot as hell as I descended into Lewiston and I adjusted my travel plans following a trip up and down the old spiral highway. Instead of heading south into Oregon I've ended up in your backyard coming into Anacortes via the HW20. I'm sitting here this AM planning the next leg of the journey. I'm trying to take the roads less traveled which is going to pretty tough over labor day weekend. Here's a photo from Cap Sante with the Magpie on the left rear pannier.

rsP1060943.jpg
    LC1 and Metalcarver like this.