The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! You're flat putting the miles down! And yes. Lewiston is at the butt end of Hells's Canyon. Now, when somebody says its really hot you can look over the top of your glasses and smile to yourself. I'm heading out on my big one at the end of the month.

Working on the knobbies.

All the girls wanted was to get at the bike, not me.

Dammit.

All the campgrounds on the peninsula were packed when I was out on Wednesday. But if you wanted dispersed camping there didn't seem to be much traffic down the forest roads. Despite all the extra people there's nowhere near the back road traffic as you find in Idaho. And none of the road rhino trains like you see in Yellowstone. The parks are all full, so head for the forest.
  2. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    One observation on my new ride. Changed too many variables to draw a conclusion but I also ditched my ds helmet (which I thought was modular but in fact was only rated open face so threw away chin gaurd) and had Fly and some other helmet before in the last ten years, riding on cx500, xr650l, vstrom, ural. I just thought having your head banged around by the wind was part of the game. For neck exercise turn your head sideways with a beak on your helmet.

So I got a ls2 arrow carbon (designed by racers etc. etc.). They're closing them out and snagged one for $250. And though still some heft to it much lighter feeling than any other helmet I have had. But on the HAT and the new helmet I slip through the air like the sleek feral animal that I am... :D There is wind noise and have always had that but no shake, no buffeting, just look around at the spectacular show the universe dreamed up for you. The ds roost beaks never worked for me anyway and I still definitely need the sunglasses but no sore neck at the end of the ride.
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    FR2918 Olympic National Forest. Labor day and only two pickemups, the rest to myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crescent Lake. Got rid of the superhero graphics. No, I am not going to get a Honda tat.

[​IMG]
    PC7A, jethrocephus, Bigbob1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really liking that new hack! Probably not as much as you! So I suppose its a complete front suspension they install on there and nothing is left of the Honda stuff eh? Wheres front suspension made?
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    It's a DMC sidecar. Jay posts on the hack vendors forum. They built the leading link forks too. Build quality is excellent and the handling is spot on. Both on road and off.
    LC1 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  6. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did miss the details on the new rig? Almost looks like one of the offroad eml hacks from years ago. Cool! Does it have a subframe for the scoot?
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Had the pics posted on the hack forum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Early onset stage IV extramarital farkelingus indicated.
    Ladybug, Mr Head, Bigbob1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, the guy with the babe.

That was back when I was an inverted wedge of muscle, bone, and bad intent. Babe magnet.

:rilla
    oldwyomingdude likes this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha!!!
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    A systemic problem for motorcycle riders:

[​IMG]

Protuberating from the posterior is the range extender/ballast.

[​IMG]

And some boxes and self extraction gear. Maasdam rope puller + 100' rope and rappel shit.

[​IMG]

And a lil feller tried to tie it down.

[​IMG]

So off on a test run .

Taylor cutoff to Lost Mt rd to Slab Camp Rd up to FR2870 Upper Dungeness trail head roads. The last part of it is on the closure list for this year so maybe I'm the last sidehack there.

Going on forest roads on the Olympic Peninsula is like pulling a comfy blanket around you sometimes. Long deep tunnels of giant trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then you one of those Olympic Mountains WTF moments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And those nice little trees along the road are actually 100 ft high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an abrupt dead end like all good logging roads do.

[​IMG]

And skedaddle on back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Saw a nice ol black bear near here. Very well fed and pretty but he ran off. Must have been the bike cause I look like a friendly lawn gnome.
    Ladybug, Bigbob1, dammitdave and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A very apt analogy for the mature folk who still ride and thanks for the pics thereof.
  12. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Now WAAAAAIT a minute sir. I may be aging but I don't think anyone ever accuses me of being "mature". I subscribe to the theory that the only difference between teenagers and seniors is that seniors don't have all those responsibilities.:deal:happay
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Here's the 1848 map of the West after John C. Fremont circumnavigated the Great Basin in 1844-45 . There's a spot on there marked " unexplored". Gonna head on down there in a little bit and make sure . Got my kit sorted.

[​IMG]
    I think if you click on the pic it goes to full size and you can see first phonetic spellings of a lot of the features of the west.
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    In case anyone might be interested in 3 - 4 weeks of 80% dirt big bike friendlly adventures, my crew has fallen victim to surgeons and lawyers . Short notice, looking at leaving from Bend, Oregon by the end of the month. PM me if interested and I can supply all the tracks. Very remote in places. Several 200+ mile stages without gas . I think the longest was 273 miles gas to gas. 3800+ miles. First running so every day is a brand new day.